Please visit the Club's website https://www.dloc.org.uk/ to join. Visit https://www.dloc.org.uk/adhoc to DONATE towards the cost of the forum.
Please don't post someone's email address to avoid it being harvested by spambots and it's against GDPR regulations.
Always look at "ACTIVE TOPICS" to see all posts in date & time order as they are sometimes moved; or look at "Your Posts".
Please add Reg. nrs. when posting a photo or anything about a car as this will help searches. Don't add punctuation next to nr. as this negates search.
CHANGED YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS since registering?, click your username and check your address in User Control Panel, Profile, Account Settings.
If you want help to register, use "contact us" at page bottom for help.

Cost of new carpets

Technical issues not related to a DLOC car marque, eg tyres, ethanol, other car makes, etc. and legal, political and insurance
Phillmore
Wise Man
Wise Man

Cost of new carpets

Post by Phillmore »

On my travels yesterday I came across someone who makes carpets for classic cars. He thought that to make a set for the Conquest would be around £500 so I was wondering, is this a reasonable price based on quotes others may have had?
Andy

1954 Conquest Mk1, 1956 Conquest Mk2, 1957 Conquest Century Mk2, 1955 Austin A90 Westminster

theoldman
Extremely Wise Man
Extremely Wise Man

Re: Cost of new carpets

Post by theoldman »

Inlaid with gold and platinum Daimler "Ds" are they Andy? :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Seriously, does sound a bit "exey".

I had a good quality set for the LJ from Coverdales for around £250

Cheers
Neil
Normal for Norfolk

Phillmore
Wise Man
Wise Man

Post by Phillmore »

Thanks Neil that's worth knowing.
Andy

1954 Conquest Mk1, 1956 Conquest Mk2, 1957 Conquest Century Mk2, 1955 Austin A90 Westminster

Sydsmith
Extremely Wise Man
Extremely Wise Man

Post by Sydsmith »

Car carpets are always a mystery to me, they are made from carpet and the quality and cost depends on the carpet you chose.

I had a set made for an old Austin many years ago by a local carpet shop. I cut templates from stiff art card (stuck together with wide tape) I made test carpets from old curtain material to ensure a good fit.

I chose an Axminster carpet similar to the remnants I had from the old carpets, cut them to the templates and the shop had them bound for me.

They were superb, fitted properly, great quality and cost half as much as the commercial quotes I got.

Peter Grant
Wise Man
Wise Man

Post by Peter Grant »

That is interesting because after I bought my DE 36 the firm that made the new carpets for my Special Sports said that wool carpets (made in Germany) would cost about $AUST3000.00. That would be about what, 1800 pounds and that was ten years ago!
Peter Grant

JT7196
Extremely Wise Man
Extremely Wise Man

Post by JT7196 »

Gold Thread, Peter ????

Cheers A’l

Must be nearly time for a revisit to you grand country !, :D

Sydsmith
Extremely Wise Man
Extremely Wise Man

Post by Sydsmith »

It's expensive to ship the wool from Australia to Germany make the carpets and ship them back Al :D

Phillmore
Wise Man
Wise Man

Post by Phillmore »

Syd you said the shop had them bound for you, is that the vinyl edging? I didn't think of getting the carpet from a carpet shop and get them to edge it. I assume the original carpets would have been Wilton?
Andy

Sydsmith
Extremely Wise Man
Extremely Wise Man

Post by Sydsmith »

Phil, I had them done with matching cotton binding, they were very smart but several folks did remark that they thought they were wrong for the Austin, not sure if they could have used vinyl but I guess it would have been possible.

captain bobo

Post by captain bobo »

I had a complete set of carpets made by a local carpet shop for my 1937 Daimler 15. I chose high quality beige coloured carpets with red wool as edge binding to match the red leather seats. The company could also do carpets foe caravans & motor homes. All they need is a template to work from. I waited & watched while they did the work, it was fascinating watching them use the edge binding machine. I had front section carpet, rear section carpet, 4 door card lower sections, footwell side pieces (with slots cut for air inlets) and a piece to go under the dashboard all customised for me for just under £200.00

I don't mean to sound like a show off, but it makes the price you were quoted seem somewhat high.
Best wishes, Dave B