Please visit the Club's website https://www.dloc.org.uk/ to join. Visit https://www.dloc.org.uk/adhoc to DONATE towards the cost of the forum.
Please don't post someone's email address to avoid it being harvested by spambots and it's against GDPR regulations.
Always look at "ACTIVE TOPICS" to see all posts in date & time order as they are sometimes moved; or look at "Your Posts".
Please add Reg. nrs. when posting a photo or anything about a car as this will help searches. Don't add punctuation next to nr. as this negates search.
CHANGED YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS since registering?, click your username and check your address in User Control Panel, Profile, Account Settings.
If you want help to register, use "contact us" at page bottom for help.

Car Tax evasion triples after paper tax disc scrapped

Technical issues not related to a DLOC car marque, eg tyres, ethanol, other car makes, etc. and legal, political and insurance
Chris_R
Wise Man
Wise Man

Car Tax evasion triples after paper tax disc scrapped

Post by Chris_R »

Latest Government figures show that the number of unlicensed vehicles on the road has tripled since the paper tax disc was abolished
The data shows that the government potentially lost out on £107m from 755,000 unlicensed vehicles last year.
The measure was meant to have saved the Treasury £10m.
So that's gone well then. I wonder which civil servant dreamt up this great idea and if he or she is still in position!

theoldman
Extremely Wise Man
Extremely Wise Man

Re: Car Tax evasion triples after paper tax disc scrapped

Post by theoldman »

Well, honestly, Chris, you do shock me. I never for a moment thought anyone would try and dodge paying RFL, just because there's no disc
(says he with tongue firmly in cheek)

It had to happen of course and yes, no doubt there's some useless tw*t at DafT who thought it up, still drawing his eighty grand and index linked pension.

Some years ago I was talking to an MP acquaintance and he was quite open about the fact that if a civil servant cocks up, as in this case, no action is taken and the likely outcome will be he is promoted to somewhere he can do no further harm........................

I recall when I lived in the Midlands, there was one lady police officer who used to stand all morning, every Friday, at a certain set of traffic lights, with a pen and notebook looking for expired discs. If she was on commission she would have made a fortune.
Normal for Norfolk

Phillmore
Wise Man
Wise Man

Post by Phillmore »

Not as many ANPR cameras than we are led to believe then?
Andy

1954 Conquest Mk1, 1956 Conquest Mk2, 1957 Conquest Century Mk2, 1955 Austin A90 Westminster

John Hitchins
Site Admin

Post by John Hitchins »

On TV showing the Police programs these day so many people pulled up have nothing, no insurance,tax, MOT and the fines are less than the innocent motorists pay to be legal.
In the 60s 70s, we were bought up knowing we had to follow the law but so many cant be bothered now.

When the tax disks stopped I was sent a photocopied disk to cut out myself as the government had stopped printing them. Perhaps we could download with the annual payment a disk and a barcode that can be checked to work alongside the ANPR.

As any car can be checked for MOT on any smartphone in seconds now the same could be done for tax.
There are a million drivers who do not speak English and they come up time and again as not legal, they dont seem aware of our laws or road signs. Its just the standards are dropping sadly. Now we are being asked to be insured for accidents that involve uninsured drivers as the situation is unmanageable.

theoldman
Extremely Wise Man
Extremely Wise Man

Post by theoldman »

Or maybe we could do what they do in Germany. The expiry date is on the number plate. (also I think either the MoT and Insurance)
Normal for Norfolk

Keith Ashworth

Post by Keith Ashworth »

The same thing happened here in Australia.
The letter said "we're helping the environment and saving you the hassle of registration stickers".
I have left the old ones on my cars as they remind me not so much of when they are due, but to remember to put aside the funds required to pay. We are supposed to get the renewals in the mail. Mind you don't get me started on the mail system!
Of course this has gone hand in hand with the practice of all police cars being fitted with numberplate recognition cameras!
These stickers were also useful for identifying cars that were abandoned, as unregistered cars can be removed by the council.
Maybe the public servant responsible came out to live here.
Keith

Kopite47

Post by Kopite47 »

Here in Victoria rego stickers have been abolished BUT the offence of displaying an out-of date sticker is still on the books, therefore a zealous Plod can get you fined for an old sticker.
The Association of Motoring Clubs ( AOMC) have produced a reminder sticker for your windscreen with your annual renewal date for when you don't get a renewal notification.
The mail system!!- airmail Xmas cards this time took 3 1/2 - 4 weeks.
Ian