Please visit the Club's website https://www.dloc.org.uk/ to join. Visit https://www.dloc.org.uk/adhoc to DONATE towards the cost of the forum.
Please don't post someone's email address to avoid it being harvested by spambots and it's against GDPR regulations.
Always look at "ACTIVE TOPICS" to see all posts in date & time order as they are sometimes moved; or look at "Your Posts".
Please add Reg. nrs. when posting a photo or anything about a car as this will help searches. Don't add punctuation next to nr. as this negates search.
CHANGED YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS since registering?, click your username and check your address in User Control Panel, Profile, Account Settings.
If you want help to register, use "contact us" at page bottom for help.

Snow chains

Technical issues not related to a DLOC car marque, eg tyres, ethanol, other car makes, etc. and legal, political and insurance
John-B
Site Admin

Snow chains

Post by John-B »

Has anyone used snow chains? Fifty years ago they were steel chains, but I think they are made of something else now.

Please describe how they run if you are on snow and then tarmac.

I think they were also made of canvas to give some grip without a lot of bumping. Presumably made of plastic now.

Are they easy to fit without taking the wheels off?

Edit - It's now 9am - rush hour, but since 6am only one vehicle has passed my house on a busy road. It looked like one of the shop volunteers going to open it up, driving slowly in a 4x4. It is easier to drive on crunchy snow if there is no other traffic to compress it into a slippery mess.

Sydsmith
Extremely Wise Man
Extremely Wise Man

Re: Snow chains

Post by Sydsmith »

In the 50's and 60's John they were essential winter gear for us in the TV trade. The only way to get around rural Herefordshire when it snowed.

I used them on Bedford CA, Austin A60's and A35' vans. Essential but very noisy, especially on tarmac when you run out of snow. They would take you places even town and country tyres could not, they certainly worked but had their limits. Hopeless on mud, they just dig you in. They helped with stopping but again some nasty noises on clean roads.

As you say in those days they were steel and very mucky to put on. We used to lay them out on the ground and drive on to them then wrap them round the tyre.

Not having the need to drive in those conditions any more I have not investigated modern versions, but one thing is for sure they do test your suspension. Syd

simonp
Wise Man
Wise Man

Post by simonp »

Maybe used in very severe conditions such as Sweden and Switzerland but have noticed a lot are now using winter tyres but seems to me a lot of expense but with global warming/cooling - who knows.

SimonP
Daimler SP 250 - "To feel its eager response as you open up is to know a new motoring adventure"(Sales brochure) The adventure continues!

A.N.Other
Wide Man
Wide Man

Post by A.N.Other »

I think the modern version are called socks and are made of a material not unlike seatbelts. Jack the car up and put them on. Priced at about £35 to £40 it is about the same as it costs to have snow tyres switched. They do however wear out in no time if not run on snow. I am told though that they are very effective.
Colin,
I may be slow but I’m rough as well !

PhilD

Post by PhilD »

Snow socks can be put on without having to jack up the vehicle. slip them over the top of the tyre under the arch then drive forward by half a turn of the wheels and pull over, removal is the reverse process. As stated already if you drive on tarmac they get ripped to shreds in no time so as soon as you come off snow you need to stop and remove them if you want to get value for money.

The best answer is winter tyres, I've ran these for many years with a spare set of rims switched October and back to summer tyres around April. Modern winter tyres are significantly different to the old M&S (Mud and Snow) tyres which were agricultural. Currently running some Michelin and they are actually quieter on tarmac than the summer Pirellis (although the winter tyres are 2" smaller in diameter).

Grip on dry tarmac is plenty and unless pushing really hard it's difficult to notice any difference. But when the snow comes is such a difference. Currently have winter tyres on 2 vehicles - Audi A6 Avant Quattro and Mercedes C Class (rear wheel drive).

One major consideration with winter tyres is the total improvement not just an improvement in traction. The Audi being 4 wheel drive is very good on standard tyres in not getting bogged down but you need to consider that it's great to get going but don't forget about stopping and quite important turning too! The grip you therefore get from the winter tyres makes such a difference if you want to stop and turn, something we all need to do once we get going!

The difference is significant so much so I read a report on the top ten show tyres which were put through tests on tarmac and snow. For each was the usual going, stopping from various speeds and the concentric circle for sideways grip. A standard set of summer tyres were also included and the surprising thing was the sideways grip - winter tyres typically managing to maintain 30-35mph for all winter tyres, summer tyres couldn't get passed 8mph!!

Now the cost - wella ctually they are about the same price as summer tyres and therefore with a similar or slightly higher wear rate. With a set of after market rims to match the manufactures (half the price) and no nasty road salt over your nice manufacturers alloys saving the inevitable corrosion. Overall the cost is a very small cost over a couple of years (depending upon annual mileage) but overall it's like driving your car on wet tarmac rather than snow.

The Mercedes goes no-where in the snow but completely driveable in 4" of snow. On the other hand the Audi has fantastic acceleration, so much so that in 4" of snow - uphill will clear all the snow off the roof in one fell swoop - whilst doing this also overtook a little Fiesta which had got stuck! Traction control light very rarely comes on even with a heavyish right foot and 300BHP.

Long story but hopefully helpful experience on how to beat this current winter!

Happy driving

Cheers

Phil

smithgor

Post by smithgor »

I'm writing this from the French Alps where we've had 2-3m of snow this year. Its a legal requirement to carry chains here in winter but, even though I have them on board I hate to fit them and prefer to use snow tyres.

Modern snow chains are made from a hardened steel with cranked links, which means that if they are not fitted with the links flat they quickly break. Usually they are designed to give a series of diamond shaped pockets around the circumference of the tyre. It may take several minutes up to an hour to disentangle the chains and lay them out. A plastic covered steel cable, with male & female ends, is fitted first to create a 'hoop' at the suspension side of the tyre. The chains are then adjusted so the diamond shaped pockets lie symetrically around the tyre's circumference. Finally a length of chain is used to gather the remaining loose edges of the diamonds, with a rubber strap or similar providing tension. Fitting them is usually done at the side of a road in a blizzard! Bad fitting or breakage can damage ABS sensors, brake lines, etc. The chains damage alloys. They don't like running on tarmac. and will soon break, risking damage to paint and bodywork. I'm not a fan, actually.

Alternatives such as socks are not really up to the job. Spider type alternative which attach to the hub I have not tried but yesterday I followed a Volve XC90 with spiders for several miles at a crawl on a dry tarmac road, and saw the same car today doing the same journey so I assume they are not all that easy put on or off!

Finally, I'm not at all sure they are legal to use in the UK anyway.