Please visit the Club's website https://www.dloc.org.uk/ to join. Visit https://www.dloc.org.uk/adhoc to DONATE towards the cost of the forum.
Please don't post someone's email address to avoid it being harvested by spambots and it's against GDPR regulations.
Always look at "ACTIVE TOPICS" to see all posts in date & time order as they are sometimes moved; or look at "Your Posts".
Please add Reg. nrs. when posting a photo or anything about a car as this will help searches. Don't add punctuation next to nr. as this negates search.
CHANGED YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS since registering?, click your username and check your address in User Control Panel, Profile, Account Settings.
If you want help to register, use "contact us" at page bottom for help.

Autovac.

Technical issues not related to a DLOC car marque, eg tyres, ethanol, other car makes, etc. and legal, political and insurance
Stan Thomas
Wise Man
Wise Man

Autovac.

Post by Stan Thomas »

I have read on the internet that because modern petrol has a lower specific gravity than older fuels, there is a tendency for it to be drawn into the suction pipe and thence to the inlet manifold as to put it crudely, it can "splash around" more easily inside the canister - and for which a quite expensive modification is available.

Given the change in specific gravity must be small, does anyone have any views on the subject insofar as the modification is necessary, or has anyone had the modification done? Or has anyone experienced petrol being drawn into the inlet manifold etc.???

Regards to all,

Stan Thomas.

marchesmark
Helpful Person
Helpful Person

Re: Autovac.

Post by marchesmark »

Hello Stan,

I've owned 2 cars with Autovacs, both mid Thirties. I never had the slightest issue with modern fuels in either car, and I think a properly restored Autovac will be as reliable as a mechanical or electric pump.

Mark

captain bobo

Post by captain bobo »

I regularly drive a 1921 Leyland bus which has a 4 cylinder 5 litre engine with fuel delivered via an Autovac. We've used several different types of modern petrol including Avgas (long story) but have had no problems whatsoever since commissioning it. So far it has used approximately 400 gallons of fuel, no hiccups with the Autovac.
Best wishes, Dave B

Stan Thomas
Wise Man
Wise Man

Post by Stan Thomas »

Thanks for the advice lads.

I want to keep the car original for posterity - but don't know the difference between an Autovac and Kim Novac.

marchesmark
Helpful Person
Helpful Person

Post by marchesmark »

They're still in business,so this link should be useful.

Mark

http://www.autovac.co.uk/

Fossil
Wise Man
Wise Man

Post by Fossil »

I think Kim Novac is more voluptuous, and she drove James Stewart to madness, but died in the process.

I know nothing about Autovacs either.

Geoff

Christopher Storey
Helpful Person
Helpful Person

Post by Christopher Storey »

I do hope that they are in fact still going : the business was offered for sale due to ill health , in an advertisement in The Automobile last year ( 2017)

Stan Thomas
Wise Man
Wise Man

Post by Stan Thomas »

They are still "up-and-running" - as I spoke to them only a week ago for parts.