Please visit the Club's website https://www.dloc.org.uk/ to join. Visit https://www.dloc.org.uk/adhoc to DONATE towards the cost of the forum.
Please don't post someone's email address to avoid it being harvested by spambots and it's against GDPR regulations.
Always look at "ACTIVE TOPICS" to see all posts in date & time order as they are sometimes moved; or look at "Your Posts".
Please add Reg. nrs. when posting a photo or anything about a car as this will help searches. Don't add punctuation next to nr. as this negates search.
CHANGED YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS since registering?, click your username and check your address in User Control Panel, Profile, Account Settings.
If you want help to register, use "contact us" at page bottom for help.

Alloy Wheels

Technical issues not related to a DLOC car marque, eg tyres, ethanol, other car makes, etc. and legal, political and insurance
JT7196
Extremely Wise Man
Extremely Wise Man

Re: Alloy Wheels

Post by JT7196 »

Hi, get them powder coated, I had mine done on my Lanchester over nearly 30 years ago and they still look great!!

Cheers A’l 😀😀

Sydsmith
Extremely Wise Man
Extremely Wise Man

Post by Sydsmith »

Some progress.

I took it up with the garage as they supplied the car they passed the buck to Mercedes and in fairness within a day the had made me an offer which I have refused.

They offered subject to inspection by the garage to establish that the wheels were as I claim, to replace them with a new set if I will contribute 20% to the cost, which is a whopping £560.

I made the point that by making the offer Mercedes admitted the wheels are faulty and they cant be 80% faulty they have to be 100% faulty and they should cough up in full.

I have to take the car down to have them inspected which involves a 160 mile round trip then take it back to have the wheels fitted.

They have gone away to think about it, frankly if they had said £150-200 I would have taken the deal, but I am horrified that a set of four car wheels cost something like £2,800 and I guess they are quoting 20% of full retail.

In my discussions with them I did say I am contemplating a change and want to get this done before I ask for a PX figure, the service manager had to agree that with the wheels needing a refurb they would knock up to £1000 off the PX value, depending on what I bought.

Watch this space

swcoulthurst

Post by swcoulthurst »

Just reading this. Whilst I agree Insurance dont like paying out. Thats not the case in this instance.

It appears to be the timescale for the job and the time off the road. Surely a curtesy car should be provided and if the timescale is beyond your control, I would ask the insurance company to cover it as part of the repair.

I personally think diamond cut wheesl should be diamond cut not repainted. I really think it would be a compromise and are you willing to do that, when the wheels were a big deciding factor on the car. They will look fine painted, but definitely not as good as diamond cut finish.

Sydsmith
Extremely Wise Man
Extremely Wise Man

Post by Sydsmith »

Just goes to show, you don't have to get ratty or challenging, just ask the right fair questions and with a gentle and persuasive approach, you can get good results.

Just had a call from Mercedes Benz they have agreed to supply and fit a full set of new wheels free of charge. The only condition is that I have to do the round trip so that the garage can inspect and verify that I have not wrecked the wheels before claiming.

I can mange that and am very happy with the result. Renewed my faith in Mercedes. Syd

Vortex O'Plinth
Extra-Wise Man
Extra-Wise Man

Post by Vortex O'Plinth »

Congratulations on a good result Syd. Just out of interest, how old is the car?
Nick

"Don't bother with the Air & Space Museum - there's nothing to see.......".

Sydsmith
Extremely Wise Man
Extremely Wise Man

Post by Sydsmith »

Thanks Nick I am a bit chuffed at the result. I love my motor its an ML250 AMG just coming up to 4 years old in June with 38,000 on the clock.

I have been looking at other similar car wheels recently, many have signs of similar damage to mine, especially the Fords and Vauxhalls the best are Volvo and Toyota, but I gather Toyota also have their problems with the Lexus range.

I recon this is because the car is made by Jeep in America and as some one said earlier, fine for a warm dry climate but I live by the sea and the salty air may well have something to do with it.

Two of the wheels have corrosion as big as a dinner plate from the centre out, the other two as big as a saucer, they look really ugly, shall be using good wax on the new ones when the are fitted. Syd