Please visit the Club's website https://www.dloc.org.uk/ to join. Visit https://www.dloc.org.uk/adhoc to DONATE towards the cost of the forum.
Please don't post someone's email address to avoid it being harvested by spambots and it's against GDPR regulations.
Always look at "ACTIVE TOPICS" to see all posts in date & time order as they are sometimes moved; or look at "Your Posts".
Please add Reg. nrs. when posting a photo or anything about a car as this will help searches. Don't add punctuation next to nr. as this negates search.
CHANGED YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS since registering?, click your username and check your address in User Control Panel, Profile, Account Settings.
If you want help to register, use "contact us" at page bottom for help.

Vehicle Taxation

Technical issues not related to a DLOC car marque, eg tyres, ethanol, other car makes, etc. and legal, political and insurance
JT7196
Extremely Wise Man
Extremely Wise Man

Vehicle Taxation

Post by JT7196 »

Good morning Chap's, just had a conversation with one of the owners of a Lanchester LA10, whos car has recently been provided with a replacement Registration No , the original was lost many years ago, before he managed save it from the Scrap yard !!
At the moment the car is on Sorn, but is almost ready to be returned to the road, my question is, what is the procedure for retuning it back to the road, the Lanchester is Insured, but, will it need to be MOT'd prior to application for free Road tax etc. after so many years off the road. ?

Cheers A'l :D :D

Stan Thomas
Wise Man
Wise Man

Re: Vehicle Taxation

Post by Stan Thomas »

From what I gather, vehicles registered for use in the U.K. before the 1st of January 1978 are exempt from car tax, and if registered before the 1st of January 1960 are exempt from M.O.T.

So if your "re-registration" documents state dates earlier - the above should apply, and no M.O.T. is required.

As a suggestion, given both Car tax and M.O.T. can be done on line provided you have valid insurance - why not simply apply and see what happens?

JT7196
Extremely Wise Man
Extremely Wise Man

Post by JT7196 »

Hi Stan, many thanks for the swift reply, in fact, that's exactly what I advised the owner to do, but just thought that I would ask the question.

Best wishes, A'l :D :D

John-B
Site Admin

Post by John-B »

But, in my case, I had to convince the DVLA that its registration or manufacture date was prior to 1960.

Although the car is SORN, when DVLA look up the history, it may not have been Exempt years ago as that category didn't exist, so you may need to send proof of manufacture.

I should ring DVLA to check what will happen.

Stan Thomas
Wise Man
Wise Man

Post by Stan Thomas »

Ha-ha!

You've hit upon a problem which can arise with the "spot-the-brain-cell" inhabitants atf the D.V.L.A.!

If a vehicle was ever taxed after 1996 (correct me if I'm wrong on he year) it will be registered with the D.V.L.A and subject to SORN. However, if it has been untaxed since ninteen hundred and fast a sleep prior to 1996, it will not be on Sorn, so the numpties need proof of date of original registation.

That said - you say the vehicle is on SORN so I cannot foresee a problem in your case.

watkindj
Extremely Wise Man
Extremely Wise Man

Post by watkindj »

Stan Thomas wrote: Tue Apr 03, 2018 9:00 am
If a vehicle was ever taxed after 1996 (correct me if I'm wrong on he year) it will be registered with the D.V.L.A and subject to SORN. However, if it has been untaxed since ninteen hundred and fast a sleep prior to 1996, it will not be on Sorn, so the numpties need proof of date of original registation.
the SORN start date was the 31st January 1998 anything off road and not taxed since does not need to be sorned UNLESS it changes ownership after that date then it HAS to be SORN or Taxed
Darren
South Cambridgeshire
XJ Registrar &
LD10 Registrar
LD10 Website Webmaster Incorporating (Worldwide Lanchester LD10 Register)
http://ld10.awardspace.co.uk

Stan Thomas
Wise Man
Wise Man

Post by Stan Thomas »

Thanks for that - and I accept your correction that 1998 was the "operative date".

However, my point is made insofar as if a vehicle had NOT been taxed prior to 1998 it was not required to be on SORN. If it had been taxed after 1998 an application to SORN would be needed

watkindj
Extremely Wise Man
Extremely Wise Man

Post by watkindj »

Yes Stan unless the car has changed ownership since 1998 then the sorn would become applicable due to the VED being non transferable

it states if you purchase a vehicle it must be sorned or taxed this note came into effect October 2011 prior to the sorn changes in October 2013 which state a vehicle is sorned until taxed no longer a renewal requirement every year
Darren
South Cambridgeshire
XJ Registrar &
LD10 Registrar
LD10 Website Webmaster Incorporating (Worldwide Lanchester LD10 Register)
http://ld10.awardspace.co.uk