Please visit the Club's website https://www.dloc.org.uk/ to join. Visit https://www.dloc.org.uk/adhoc to DONATE towards the cost of the forum.
Please don't post someone's email address to avoid it being harvested by spambots and it's against GDPR regulations.
Always look at "ACTIVE TOPICS" to see all posts in date & time order as they are sometimes moved; or look at "Your Posts".
Please add Reg. nrs. when posting a photo or anything about a car as this will help searches. Don't add punctuation next to nr. as this negates search.
CHANGED YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS since registering?, click your username and check your address in User Control Panel, Profile, Account Settings.
If you want help to register, use "contact us" at page bottom for help.

Confused about RFL and MOT

Technical issues not related to a DLOC car marque, eg tyres, ethanol, other car makes, etc. and legal, political and insurance
Sid

Confused about RFL and MOT

Post by Sid »

My 1951 Lanchester LD10 is the first car I've owned that is RFL and MOT excused. When I bought it last September, I informed the DVLA that it was under new ownership and was kept off road. They replied that I didn't need to SORN it as it was recorded in the tax class Not Licensed. So now it's ready for the road and I've insured it. OK so far.
But I recently heard about a form V112, application for declaration of exemption from MOT. It states on this form "If your vehicle is exempt from MoT testing you will need to fill in this form and produce it when you tax your vehicle at a Post Office"...but I don't need to tax it.
So do I need one of these before I can drive it? The V5C states that it was manufactured in 1951, is this not enough?
I'm very confused!
Sid

Chris_R
Wise Man
Wise Man

Re: Confused about RFL and MOT

Post by Chris_R »

You do need to tax it only it is zero rated so you don't pay anything!

JDB

Post by JDB »

I thought all road taxation was achieved on-line since the end of tax discs and that the Post Office was no longer involved; in which case what is the purpose of a form V112?
JB

John-B
Site Admin

Post by John-B »

Use this online dvla check
https://vehicleenquiry.service.gov.uk/
If your car shows as MOT exempt, then you don't need to use V112, just tax it online (it should show £0) and ignore any reference to MOT. If it shows that MOT is required, then send V112 to DVLA. The date on the V5C may not be enough.

Sid

Post by Sid »

Apparently I have to change the taxation class to Historic, it's currently shown as Not Licensed, and send the V5C to be changed along with the V112 and a V10 for the non-chargeable RFL. And until it's all returned I can't use the car on the road......oops, already did!

John-B
Site Admin

Post by John-B »

I had to go through much the same procedure because my car was shown on DVLA as registered in 1960 (subject to MOT), but it was manufactured in 1959 (exempt from MOT), so I had to fill in V112 and also send proof of date of manufacture from the manufacturer which I got from JHT Archive (for about £40?).