Please visit the Club's website https://www.dloc.org.uk/ to join. Visit https://www.dloc.org.uk/adhoc to DONATE towards the cost of the forum.
Please don't post someone's email address to avoid it being harvested by spambots and it's against GDPR regulations.
Always look at "ACTIVE TOPICS" to see all posts in date & time order as they are sometimes moved; or look at "Your Posts".
Please add Reg. nrs. when posting a photo or anything about a car as this will help searches. Don't add punctuation next to nr. as this negates search.
CHANGED YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS since registering?, click your username and check your address in User Control Panel, Profile, Account Settings.
If you want help to register, use "contact us" at page bottom for help.

Energy cap good for electric cars

Technical issues not related to a DLOC car marque, eg tyres, ethanol, other car makes, etc. and legal, political and insurance
John-B
Site Admin

Energy cap good for electric cars

Post by John-B »

If the proposed energy cap is set at £1,136pa https://www.theguardian.com/money/2018/ ... households then would it be a good idea to buy an electric car?

If I travel a lot and always return home to charge an electric car, and my bills would normally be much higher than the cap, I would get free electricity for the car! That could be thousands of pounds a year!

I have PV panels, but charging during the day would be unusual for most electric car owners.

I've been put off buying an electric car by the high price, but free electricity might make them more economical.

Christopher Storey
Helpful Person
Helpful Person

Re: Energy cap good for electric cars

Post by Christopher Storey »

I don't think you've quite grasped the meaning of the cap . It is not an overall cap on cost, but merely a cap on the level of charge levied for the average user i.e. a cap on the overall rate per unit of energy consumed . Quite how it works on a dual fuel bill is a bit of a mystery

John-B
Site Admin

Post by John-B »

Darn it. One good idea bites the dust. :(

Petelang
Helpful Person
Helpful Person

Post by Petelang »

Never mind about the electric car, think of all those cannabis farms...
They will be "cropping up" on every street...
Peter
Peter Langridge
Cloud Nine Classic Weddings, Nottingham.

John Hitchins
Site Admin

Post by John Hitchins »

Being ex power industry I can say we are closing so many many power stations under the EU orders, Didcot 2000mw for one, my old station, that we cant meet the demand if millions of cars that will require power. My concern is we rely too much imports from France Holland and Ireland plus Russian gas. Hinkley Point is years away and already has problems. Last winter the grid maxed out some days with no spare capacity. The army shut down as much power as possible at 5 pm in large demand areas to save load shedding.

We must bear this in mind when we change to electric cars. I see in 20 years we must ditch petrol and diesel in the UK so our Daimlers will need huge battery packs! A 35 mile range is no good to most people. I feel the hydrogen engine route will be better.

John-B
Site Admin

Post by John-B »

John Hitchins wrote: Mon Sep 10, 2018 6:04 pm I see in 20 years we must ditch petrol and diesel in the UK so our Daimlers will need huge battery packs! A 35 mile range is no good to most people. I feel the hydrogen engine route will be better.
I agree about hydrogen. I would prefer that to an electric car, but production of hydrogen needs electricity! :D

Eric990j

Post by Eric990j »

I love my Daimler and Lanchester but for a daily new car my Tesla models S is amazing. Smooth, instant pick up, quiet and no gears at all. 240 miles between charges and that’s actual. I think Daimler would of gone the electric route if it was viable back then as it is now?