Please visit the Club's website https://www.dloc.org.uk/ to join. Visit https://www.dloc.org.uk/adhoc to DONATE towards the cost of the forum.
Please don't post someone's email address to avoid it being harvested by spambots and it's against GDPR regulations.
Always look at "ACTIVE TOPICS" to see all posts in date & time order as they are sometimes moved; or look at "Your Posts".
Please add Reg. nrs. when posting a photo or anything about a car as this will help searches. Don't add punctuation next to nr. as this negates search.
CHANGED YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS since registering?, click your username and check your address in User Control Panel, Profile, Account Settings.
If you want help to register, use "contact us" at page bottom for help.

In-line thermostats

Technical issues not related to a DLOC car marque, eg tyres, ethanol, other car makes, etc. and legal, political and insurance
Stan Thomas
Wise Man
Wise Man

In-line thermostats

Post by Stan Thomas »

Anyone direct experience in using one of those after market "in-line" thermostats - the type which is inserted in the top hose? (there was something on the Forum a little while ago but I can't find it now).

The reason I ask is because my car has two and a half gallons of coolant and two gallons of oil in the sump - so it takes two thirds of four days to become fully warmed up before I can sally forth to terrify the locals with two tons of whispering smoke.

ranald
Helpful Person
Helpful Person

Re: In-line thermostats

Post by ranald »

Stan, It might be my post you saw recently. http://forum.dloc.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=3998
For the moment i’ve put this job on hold. Now that we are coming into warmer weather the problem is reduced. Let us know how you get on. i must admit, it might be easier to make and fit a radiator muff. All the best, Ranald

Stan Thomas
Wise Man
Wise Man

Re: In-line thermostats

Post by Stan Thomas »

Hi Ranald,

Thanks for your post. Although a rad muff helps a little - they are only really effective when the car is on the move, as they only restrict some air-flow through the rad during stationary warm-up. In fact, I've had one made which is fitted.

A thermostat is the best device for promoting rapid cylinder head and induction manifold heating, which in turn means less rich mixture after initial start-up and therefore less internal condensation etc.

Early cars (especially Daimlers!) were over-cooled and had too great an oil capacity which was principlaaly intended to allow for the fairly hefty consumption rate in those days, but that meant the oil did not get hot enough most of the time. (Nowadays, it is more beneficial to run any car on the minimum dip-stick oil mark and check more regularly).

In the early days however, the Daimler Owner relied upon the chauffer to start and warm up the car 30 minutes or so before setting off - otherwise you threw him out of his cottage.