Please visit the Club's website https://www.dloc.org.uk/ to join. Visit https://www.dloc.org.uk/adhoc to DONATE towards the cost of the forum.
Please don't post someone's email address to avoid it being harvested by spambots and it's against GDPR regulations.
Always look at "ACTIVE TOPICS" to see all posts in date & time order as they are sometimes moved; or look at "Your Posts".
Please add Reg. nrs. when posting a photo or anything about a car as this will help searches. Don't add punctuation next to nr. as this negates search.
CHANGED YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS since registering?, click your username and check your address in User Control Panel, Profile, Account Settings.
If you want help to register, use "contact us" at page bottom for help.

1935 Daimler 15 Brakes

Technical issues not related to a DLOC car marque, eg tyres, ethanol, other car makes, etc. and legal, political and insurance
JT7196
Extremely Wise Man
Extremely Wise Man

1935 Daimler 15 Brakes

Post by JT7196 »

Hi Chaps ,I have been helping the owner of a 15 Hp Daimler in an effort to try and get his Brakes to work efficiently ,with little success so far.
Can anybody give me the Basic set up information please ?

Best wishes, Alan

Simon Hyslop

Re: 1935 Daimler 15 Brakes

Post by Simon Hyslop »

Lockheed hydraulic or Girling mechanical ? I'm guessing the former as you must know more than most about Girling brakes with your 11 but just as well to ask !

JT7196
Extremely Wise Man
Extremely Wise Man

Post by JT7196 »

Hi Simon, well actually it’s the Girling Brakes Im struggling with, trying to get the balance between Front and Rear Brakes has been “ Challenging” to say the least.
Going to have another attempt today ...........
To be continued 😊😊😊

Cheers Al 😊

Simon Hyslop

Post by Simon Hyslop »

I hope you made progress with these but if not, I hope the following might be of some use. The Girling mechanical brake is a real plus point on a pre war car because, once working well, it can be left for months without use and it will work just as well as the day it was last used. The front brakes should come on first, followed by the rears and if this is out of adjustment, it will be at a balance lever below the pedal.It should be mid way between its stops when the brakes are on.

Problems can arise if someone tries to adjust the brakes using the rods rather than the adjusters because the "tree" on each axle should be sitting at the optimum angle to pull the brakes on, so it doesn't want to be far to the one side or the other, just in the middle. The adjuster actuators are handed and if the car has been apart, they can be mixed up and won't allow the right adjustment making the brakes feel as if they are fully adjusted up when they are not. Taking them to bits and examining the parts is really the only way of dealing with them if they are suspect.

Are there rollers in the expander housings ? (Bit of a long shot this one but if things have been apart, who knows?).

Beyond that, there is little that really can go wrong with them but without seeing it and at 300+ miles distance, I'd guess at the brake adjusters first if I really had to as they are a hard thing to spot when they're on the wrong way round. I am sure with your eye for detail you'll have them sorted out and the 15 owner can enjoy the benefits of the New Hudson company's best product !

JT7196
Extremely Wise Man
Extremely Wise Man

Post by JT7196 »

Hi Simon, well spent a fair bit of time reducing play in the Front Compensator, took the Daimler out on road test and got Peter to “ Bang on “ the Brakes, and got a super result,.......except it was only the Rear Brakes that Locked up, but what an impressive set of Tyre marks we left on the Road , they must have been nearlyTen feet long !!!
So back to the drawing board so to speak, I then lengthened the Rear Actuator Rod by around Two turns on the Yoke.
This did result in placing a bit more empathis on the Front Brakes, But, by no way am I really “ Happy” yet ,
Peter is over the moon, that his Daimler actually “Stops” quite quickly when applying the Brake Pedal.
For my part, I would love to be able to get Daimler 15 to be able to stop as well as my Lanchester.
My “Plan” is to park my car alongside Peters, and compare the angles of the Quadrants and the rest of the Linkages to try and adjust to the same as mine , we shall see ..........😊😊😊
Cheers Al 😊😊