Please visit the Club's website https://www.dloc.org.uk/ to join. Visit https://www.dloc.org.uk/adhoc to DONATE towards the cost of the forum.
Please don't post someone's email address to avoid it being harvested by spambots and it's against GDPR regulations.
Always look at "ACTIVE TOPICS" to see all posts in date & time order as they are sometimes moved; or look at "Your Posts".
Please add Reg. nrs. when posting a photo or anything about a car as this will help searches. Don't add punctuation next to nr. as this negates search.
CHANGED YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS since registering?, click your username and check your address in User Control Panel, Profile, Account Settings.
If you want help to register, use "contact us" at page bottom for help.

POLL - Dashcam facing forwards, back or both ways?

Technical issues not related to a DLOC car marque, eg tyres, ethanol, other car makes, etc. and legal, political and insurance

Which direction would you face a dashcam, forwards, backwards or both ways?

Forwards
No votes
Backwards
No votes
Both ways
100%

Total votes: 6

John-B
Site Admin

POLL - Dashcam facing forwards, back or both ways?

Post by John-B »

Ok, so you get a dashcam for Christmas, Do you fix it facing forwards to capture accidents and stupid driving in front of you or fix it facing backwards to catch those idiots seeking an insurance payout or buy another dashcam and have one facing both ways?

John-B
Site Admin

Re: POLL - Dashcam facing forwards, back or both ways?

Post by John-B »

So far 100% for two dashcams, facing front and rear.

What I really wanted was an opinion on whether people would prefer a forward or rear facing dashcam, so I should have left out the "both ways" option as I don't suppose that two dashcams is very common.

I had been watching "Caught on Dashcam" on TV which showed horrendously stupid driving, mainly in Eastern Europe and USA as far as I could see.

Sydsmith
Extremely Wise Man
Extremely Wise Man

Post by Sydsmith »

Hi John. You have answered your own question. Murphy's law says which ever way you point a single camera it will be facing the wrong way, the wayward driver you need to capture on camera will perform his/her antics at the other end of the car. You need two cameras. Syd

John-B
Site Admin

Post by John-B »

Ok, perhaps I should start another poll, but until then, which owners of a dashcam have two? Reply below. I'll bet it isn't many.

Christopher Storey
Helpful Person
Helpful Person

Post by Christopher Storey »

I am in no doubt about this : have the camera facing forwards, as it will always show what you are doing . In the case of a rear end shunt, it will show whether you were stationary , and in the case of the contrived roundabout collision ( not so common these days because of significant prison sentences ) it will show exactly what happens

John Hitchins
Site Admin

Post by John Hitchins »

Mine does both ends in one small unit, would not drive without it, we see daily now staged crashes and Police beginning to ask for information from them. saves hours of paper work too.

Stan Thomas
Wise Man
Wise Man

Post by Stan Thomas »

John is so right about the growing police attitude where due to cut-backs and undermamming etc. incidents where "no dashcam or CCTV footage" is available it is used as a cop-out to give you just an incident number with no further action being taken.

My friend's wife was attacked in her shop, and the police said she should have had CCTV coverage, for without it, they could not proceed even though the culprit was detained by passers-by who went to her aid.

The alternative to using dashcams (and your car) of course is to wait until they've built the £100 billion railway - and that could buy an awful lot of coppers on the beat!

peterbee

Post by peterbee »

For those of you driving saloons there are a large number of dashcams available both front and rear facing. As far as I can discover there is nothing for the SP250 driver. It is not a very good idea to have any thing stuck on the windscreen if you are driving with the hood down. Even if you can detach the camera, the mount is still there. And do you want to put the hood up every time you park.

heh101353

Post by heh101353 »

First I had a front only setup. But soon I went for the front and rear package. There's one benefit from the rear camera you won't think of in the first place.
Believe it or not it keeps those fools at bay who don't know the car (and there are lots), who creep up from behind trying to identify what that thing from outer space is. Most of them spot the camera already at a tolerable distance because the rear camera is prominently mounted.
My cams are identical but they are not explicitly designed for dash cam use. They come from an action cam background and are used mostly by drone racers.
Nevertheless they do what I think is important for dash cam use.
But this makes them even more usable in an SP as they are really small and depending on how they are mounted are pretty inconspicuous. Depending on how clever you do the mount they are removed at the blink of an eye. (Magnetic for instance)

Footage that shows nighttime, daytime, front and rear may be found here: http://www.wyhe.ch/Auto/_SP250_/Ausfahr ... video.html
Hans
:o owner since 2015 :mrgreen:
https://www.wyhe.ch/

A.N.Other
Wide Man
Wide Man

Post by A.N.Other »

Peterbee.
Best check your insurance. Most state that you have to put the hood up whenever you leave the car. That includes when paying for petrol when you have just filled up.
Colin,
I may be slow but I’m rough as well !