Please visit the Club's website https://www.dloc.org.uk/ to join. Visit https://www.dloc.org.uk/adhoc to DONATE towards the cost of the forum.
Please don't post someone's email address to avoid it being harvested by spambots and it's against GDPR regulations.
Always look at "ACTIVE TOPICS" to see all posts in date & time order as they are sometimes moved; or look at "Your Posts".
Please add Reg. nrs. when posting a photo or anything about a car as this will help searches. Don't add punctuation next to nr. as this negates search.
CHANGED YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS since registering?, click your username and check your address in User Control Panel, Profile, Account Settings.
If you want help to register, use "contact us" at page bottom for help.

The preselector (Wilson) gearbox

Technical issues not related to a DLOC car marque, eg tyres, ethanol, other car makes, etc. and legal, political and insurance
Petelang
Helpful Person
Helpful Person

Re: The preselector (Wilson) gearbox

Post by Petelang »

If you have the fluid coupling then yes, providing the idle speed is low. You must remember to set the hand throttle back to low speed setting.
Peter
Peter Langridge
Cloud Nine Classic Weddings, Nottingham.

djl
Location: Bucureşti (Bucharest), capital of România (Romania)

Post by djl »

In the '50's "Daimlers" the hand thorttle looked more like a button...
So before starting moving from a traffic light/road stop I must put the hand throttle in another position? :?
Valves (electronic tubes) are for audio what preselector gearboxes are for cars.

Peter Grant
Wise Man
Wise Man

Post by Peter Grant »

Hi Stefan,

If you are driving a Daimler with pres elect transmission in traffic and must come to a sudden stop you just press firmly on the brake pedal and the car will stop.
If you are still in gear and release the brake the car will start to move forwards.
While the manual tells you that it is fine to just brake with the car remaining in gear and then drive off after releasing the brake and pressing the accelerator I usually prefer to stop, put the gear in neutral with my foot on the brake, pre select your starting gear (whether 1 or 2 depending on the car) and then when you can move off press the gear pedal to get into that starting gear and accelerate away.
I do that because I don't like seeing the green oil light flicker if the revs drop while the car is stopped and still in gear.
Cheers
Peter Grant

djl

Post by djl »

So it's like at an automatic gearbox car.
As I far as I read, if you keep the brake pedal pressed to much the oil from the fluid flywheel may get too hot. But if you have a throtthle lever can you use it in stad of the gear system when start/stop the car? :ugeek:
Valves (electronic tubes) are for audio what preselector gearboxes are for cars.

Peter Grant
Wise Man
Wise Man

Post by Peter Grant »

Hi Stefan,
i think Pete Lang's response is correct.
As long as the revs are set correctly so that they are quite low at idle driving the car like an automatic is fine.
You can pull away from a stop in top gear but it will be very slow.
The car manuals all had a section on how to drive the cars. if you can get one of those it will give you a good idea. Also there were ads they had promoting the transmission and explaining how easy it was to use. there is a very quaint old film called: "Pa Puts His Foot Down". it may even be on you tube. It was an advertising film to explain the benefits of the fluid drive and pre select gearbox.
Cheers
Peter Grant

djl

Post by djl »