Please visit the Club's website https://www.dloc.org.uk/ to join. Visit https://www.dloc.org.uk/adhoc to DONATE towards the cost of the forum.
Please don't post someone's email address to avoid it being harvested by spambots and it's against GDPR regulations.
Always look at "ACTIVE TOPICS" to see all posts in date & time order as they are sometimes moved; or look at "Your Posts".
Please add Reg. nrs. when posting a photo or anything about a car as this will help searches. Don't add punctuation next to nr. as this negates search.
CHANGED YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS since registering?, click your username and check your address in User Control Panel, Profile, Account Settings.
If you want help to register, use "contact us" at page bottom for help.

Disposal of waste coolant, oil or petrol

Technical issues not related to a DLOC car marque, eg tyres, ethanol, other car makes, etc. and legal, political and insurance

How do you dispose of waste oil, coolant or petrol?

In a hole in the ground
No votes
On the ground
9%
At the council waste depot
82%
Down the WC or sink
No votes
Pour it into the road gutter
No votes
Drink it
No votes
Other method (describe below)
9%

Total votes: 11

John-B
Site Admin

Disposal of waste coolant, oil or petrol

Post by John-B »

In today's December DM there's a picture on page 34 of old oil being poured into a gravel sump in the garden. That's more or less what I do, except that I usually just pour it on the ground in a dark corner under a hedge. Oil is supposed to decompose but I'm not sure about coolant. How many of you take your waste oil, coolant or petrol to the council waste depot or dispose of it some other way?

New Dexter
Wise Man
Wise Man

Re: Disposal of waste coolant, oil or petrol

Post by New Dexter »

I would not have thought that pouring oil into the ground was a very environmentally acceptable way of disposing of it. Old oil has many contaminants. Why not put it into an old oil container, take it to the local "tip"/recycling centre and dispose of it there?

New Dexter
Wise Man
Wise Man

Post by New Dexter »

Old petrol is a more difficult matter. Most council recycling centres will not accept it. As for coolant?

Rolf B.

Post by Rolf B. »

One drop of old oil contaminates 1000 litre / 220 gallons of ground water. Disposing of 1 litre old oil in the ground will be penalised in Germany by EUR 5,000.00 to 25,000.00.

Rolf B.

classiclife
Classic Wise Man
Classic Wise Man

Post by classiclife »

Hello,

You will be highly environmentally irresponsible if you just tip your waste oil in to the ground believing it will decompose naturally - naïve as well. Used oil is laced with contaminants and requires correct disposal.

If you cannot access the local tip, many garages will be more than happy to take it from you in exchange for a packet of biscuits etc - cheap outlay for the favour IMHO.

The old style advert in the current DM was taken at a time when negligible thought & understanding were given about the environment - times have changed and so should folk who value their planet, if not for this generation but with hope for those ahead.

Regards.

Richard.
1968 Daimler V8-250 Saloon
DLOC East Sussex Branch Secretary
DLOC 2.5L V8 & V8-250 Registrar - https://www.dloc.org.uk/v8-250
DLOC 2024 International Rally - https://www.dloc.org.uk/rally-2024

Sydsmith
Extremely Wise Man
Extremely Wise Man

Post by Sydsmith »

You have started something here John, personally I would not have even thought of tipping old oil,brake fluid,petrol, thinners,paint etc into my garden for fear of contaminating the ground and killing hedges plants and insects.

The council recycling centre here has a facility for them, it's free to householders and environmentally friendly. It won't do any harm to hold it back and take it down when you have other things to go. Syd

John-B
Site Admin

Post by John-B »

Sydsmith wrote: Mon Dec 02, 2019 3:46 pm You have started something here John, personally I would not have even thought of tipping old oil,brake fluid,petrol, thinners,paint etc into my garden for fear of contaminating the ground and killing hedges plants and insects.

The council recycling centre here has a facility for them, it's free to householders and environmentally friendly. It won't do any harm to hold it back and take it down when you have other things to go. Syd
In my case it's old habits die hard and following common practice when I was a car owner in 1964. I'll try to mend my ways, but in my case a few pints once every three years hasn't damaged my hedge or stopped the weeds growing under it!

faeton

Post by faeton »

Anti freeze should be disposed of at a council tip , We have had reports in this area of cats and dogs being deliberately poisoned by idiots pouring anti freeze in dog walk areas. Ethylene Glycol is particularly dangerous. .

Dave

faeton

Post by faeton »

There was a time when old engine oil was mixed with creosote for the garden fences. Preserved wood better than the modern water based rubbish.

Dave

classiclife
Classic Wise Man
Classic Wise Man

Post by classiclife »

Dave,

Worth using Creocote as a genuine replacement for the old style creosote - it's not water based and a top product.

Regards.

Richard.
1968 Daimler V8-250 Saloon
DLOC East Sussex Branch Secretary
DLOC 2.5L V8 & V8-250 Registrar - https://www.dloc.org.uk/v8-250
DLOC 2024 International Rally - https://www.dloc.org.uk/rally-2024