Please visit the Club's website https://www.dloc.org.uk/ to join. Visit https://www.dloc.org.uk/adhoc to DONATE towards the cost of the forum.
Please don't post someone's email address to avoid it being harvested by spambots and it's against GDPR regulations.
Always look at "ACTIVE TOPICS" to see all posts in date & time order as they are sometimes moved; or look at "Your Posts".
Please add Reg. nrs. when posting a photo or anything about a car as this will help searches. Don't add punctuation next to nr. as this negates search.
CHANGED YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS since registering?, click your username and check your address in User Control Panel, Profile, Account Settings.
If you want help to register, use "contact us" at page bottom for help.

Jaguar 3.8 engine price

Technical issues not related to a DLOC car marque, eg tyres, ethanol, other car makes, etc. and legal, political and insurance
New Dexter
Wise Man
Wise Man

Jaguar 3.8 engine price

Post by New Dexter »

I wasn't sure quite where to post this. What would be fair/good/reasonable price for a 3.8 litre MK10 Jaguar engine, complete with triple carburettor manifold? It needs a flywheel, starter and dynamo to be complete. I have seen some quite odd prices recently and as they fit the title of "Unobtainium" perhaps those "odd" prices were reasonable after all.

Christopher Storey
Helpful Person
Helpful Person

Re: Jaguar 3.8 engine price

Post by Christopher Storey »

Not a great deal I'm afraid. The carbs and manifold are not usable for an E type because the manifold height at its outboard end is too high and the carbs have no choke mechanism . Similarly, since it has obviously come from an automatic car , you are into at least £200 for the flywheel . Perhaps 5 years ago I would have said £200 to £ 300 . Prices are higher now for 3.8 ( but not for 4.2) and my own opinion - others may differ - if you were lucky you might get £1000 for an unrebuilt unit, but I would not bank on it

Stan Thomas
Wise Man
Wise Man

Re: Jaguar 3.8 engine price

Post by Stan Thomas »

How long is a piece of string?

Are you buying or selling?

I'm afraid no-one can actually advise you "New Dexter" - as it basically all revolves around the condition of the engine, how desperate you are to acquire/sell it or it's component parts, and as Christopher rightly says, if it's component parts will adapt to whatever purpose it is required for.

Just as a "for-instance" - is the crank different to accommodate a torque converter or a flywheel and other such detail. (do you know Chris)?

The only maxim to apply if you are buying is to offer a low price, remembering you can always go up - but you cannot come down - and at least that will sound out how desperate the vendor is to sell - and the reverse if you are selling.

Stan Thomas.

P.S.
Confucius he say in 537 B.C. (it was a Thursday morning) "True value of camel for sale only realised at time of event"