Please visit the Club's website https://www.dloc.org.uk/ to join. Visit https://www.dloc.org.uk/adhoc to DONATE towards the cost of the forum.
Please don't post someone's email address to avoid it being harvested by spambots and it's against GDPR regulations.
Always look at "ACTIVE TOPICS" to see all posts in date & time order as they are sometimes moved; or look at "Your Posts".
Please add Reg. nrs. when posting a photo or anything about a car as this will help searches. Don't add punctuation next to nr. as this negates search.
CHANGED YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS since registering?, click your username and check your address in User Control Panel, Profile, Account Settings.
If you want help to register, use "contact us" at page bottom for help.

Are garages open for repairs and MOTs?

Technical issues not related to a DLOC car marque, eg tyres, ethanol, other car makes, etc. and legal, political and insurance
John-B
Site Admin

Are garages open for repairs and MOTs?

Post by John-B »

Are garages open for repairs and MOTs? I think all will be closed near me. I suspect that I will have to drive my car without an MOT to hospital soon. Will insurance companies and the police relax regulations?

Warsash 2

Re: Are garages open for repairs and MOTs?

Post by Warsash 2 »

If you look on the BBC web site it gives information on the MOT and garage situation as it stands at this time. Or you could go in a classic which is exempt.
Regards

Colin

Stan Thomas
Wise Man
Wise Man

Post by Stan Thomas »

Why do you say "insurance companies"? Your car of course must be insured - but if you say it in the context of being deemed uninsured for not having an M.O.T. then it is an insurance cop-out.

If you were invoved in an accident it would still remain necessary for an insurance company to field evidence that your car was unroadworthy, and the absence of a current M.O.T. cerificate alone would not prevent you pressing a claim.

Sydsmith
Extremely Wise Man
Extremely Wise Man

Post by Sydsmith »

I think this is an issue the BJ team are working on, or so they said on BBC1 just after a 5pm news conference earlier this week. I suspect there will be some relaxation of the rules short term as per exempt classics shortly.

In the mean time, it must surely still be an offence to drive a car on the road without a current MOT, in which case as I understand it your insurance is void. Syd

Brian-H
Very Wise Man
Very Wise Man

Post by Brian-H »

Near where I live, the Halfords MOT centre is open and looked busy (but the store is shut)

I just called Kwik Fit, they are open too.

johnwager

Post by johnwager »

Been announced today that there will be a 6 month exemption for MOT from March 30th to allow people to carry on with essential travel.

Norfolk Lad
Wise Man
Wise Man

Post by Norfolk Lad »

So then every MOT will come all at once how will they cope then !! , this is turning into a mess that will last far beyond the date when normal life returns.
This means those cars badly maintained will still be driving around, lets be honest some have no idea how safe their car is or care.
Saying garages could open should help safety and stop breakdowns.

JT7196
Extremely Wise Man
Extremely Wise Man

Post by JT7196 »

Hi Chaps , firstly, I do hope that everything I’d good with you all 😊😊
Just wanted to add that the MOT ran out on my MG ZS 120 the week before last, so booked it I for last Monday, only to hear that we were all subject to the “ Lock in” , so cancelled .
Also the Road Tax is due to require renewal at the beginning of April, so now have placed it on SORN !!
Last week, I cycled over the the building where my Lanchester is stored, started the up and took her for a quick run around the block , then returned her back I had a thought today that I would cycle over again and repeat the exercise, but presume that I could fall foul of the Law , what does the “Team” think.
I suppose that I could call into my local Tesco and pick up a couple of items, but then of course I could expose myself to this horrible Virus !!
Horrible times !! 😟😟😟😟

Best wishes to you all, stay safe , Big Bad Al,😊

classiclife
Classic Wise Man
Classic Wise Man

Post by classiclife »

Hello Al,

The cycling bit is fine as classed as exercise; the spin around the block could be problematic if you are stopped.

I do note that more police forces around the country are doing road checks.

As you say horrible times and made worse by the fact we have at long last some decent weather to drive our classics !! Hey-ho.

Regards.

Richard.
1968 Daimler V8-250 Saloon
DLOC East Sussex Branch Secretary
DLOC 2.5L V8 & V8-250 Registrar - https://www.dloc.org.uk/v8-250
DLOC 2024 International Rally - https://www.dloc.org.uk/rally-2024

Norfolk Lad
Wise Man
Wise Man

Post by Norfolk Lad »

Alan the fact you have been keen to sorn the car will mean you can not Tax the car for a month,
a daft rule unless they relax it as they have the Mot.
But guess you might not be able to use the car again until it gets a MOT as it now has been declared off road, you might need the LA11 as your means of transport until normal living is allowed .

Peter