Please visit the Club's website https://www.dloc.org.uk/ to join. Visit https://www.dloc.org.uk/adhoc to DONATE towards the cost of the forum.
Please don't post someone's email address to avoid it being harvested by spambots and it's against GDPR regulations.
Always look at "ACTIVE TOPICS" to see all posts in date & time order as they are sometimes moved; or look at "Your Posts".
Please add Reg. nrs. when posting a photo or anything about a car as this will help searches. Don't add punctuation next to nr. as this negates search.
CHANGED YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS since registering?, click your username and check your address in User Control Panel, Profile, Account Settings.
If you want help to register, use "contact us" at page bottom for help.

Driving About

Technical issues not related to a DLOC car marque, eg tyres, ethanol, other car makes, etc. and legal, political and insurance
mickeytwonames

Driving About

Post by mickeytwonames »

I went out for a drive to give the wife some air.
Someone, asked if we were on the way to a funeral.
Sounds the perfect excuse if you get asked if the journey is unnecessary.
:shock:

Sydsmith
Extremely Wise Man
Extremely Wise Man

Re: Driving About

Post by Sydsmith »

Sorry Micky but that is very irresponsible advice given the seriousness of the situation.

If we all took your view, there is a very good chance someone, even you could become very ill and pass it to many more.

This is not a game of how can we get round the lock down, its a case of we owe it to everyone in the country to obey the rules. Syd

Brian-H
Very Wise Man
Very Wise Man

Post by Brian-H »

mickeytwonames wrote: Fri Mar 27, 2020 11:22 am I went out for a drive to give the wife some air.
Someone, asked if we were on the way to a funeral.
Sounds the perfect excuse if you get asked if the journey is unnecessary.
:shock:
Was that written by Frankie Boyle or Alexei Sayle LOL

Must admit that I'm fed up of hearing about this incessant fear on the TV. I was thinking of starting a YouTube channel on bright humour or bright newsworthy stories, but the stuff on TV has killed my bright side, so I can't think of anything :(

Flinty

Post by Flinty »

I think Mickey has got CAROWNER VIRUS. It does affect ones thinking.!

Steve.

Dartford Dave

Post by Dartford Dave »

On the other hand it's permitted to go for a walk, run or cycle ride. It's also permitted to go to the supermarket with lots of other people. Surely if Mickey is self isolated in his steel box driving then that must be safer then the previous listed permitted activities. Assuming he doesn't breakdown. In fact logically he is not at any more risk to himself or others then he would be locked in his house.

A.N.Other
Wide Man
Wide Man

Post by A.N.Other »

Leeds council are not allowing Funerals at present so that excuse wouldn’t be acceptable at the moment.
Colin,
I may be slow but I’m rough as well !

Brian-H
Very Wise Man
Very Wise Man

Post by Brian-H »

Dartford Dave wrote: Sat Mar 28, 2020 11:33 am On the other hand it's permitted to go for a walk, run or cycle ride. It's also permitted to go to the supermarket with lots of other people. Surely if Mickey is self isolated in his steel box driving then that must be safer then the previous listed permitted activities. Assuming he doesn't breakdown. In fact logically he is not at any more risk to himself or others then he would be locked in his house.
I have similar thoughts. But as Syd points out, if everyone did this, the roads would be packed. One might say "so what" - well the answer is that if everyone were out and about, the traffic increases, so even just driving and not getting out, then the number of breakdowns goes up (and now people are getting out of their metal boxes in public areas), and the chances of accidents goes up (leading to more stress on the emergency services).

I don't see a problem with using a historic vehicle to go to the shops though (and let's not go down the rabbit hole of the reliability of historic vehicles versus non-historic vehicles).

John-B
Site Admin

Post by John-B »

Brian-H wrote: Sat Mar 28, 2020 3:02 pm I don't see a problem with using a historic vehicle to go to the shops though (and let's not go down the rabbit hole of the reliability of historic vehicles versus non-historic vehicles).
That's what I do nearly every week. I take the Dart for a run and call in to the watercress packing station where I can buy watercress which isn't sold at the local shop.
No need to use the car to collect nettles. At the moment they are young so I have been picking the top shoots in my garden and boiling for about four minutes like spinach. Eat with pepper and salt. Keep the water for drinking later. The nettles are supposed to very rich in iron and other vitamins and the water they were boiled in is almost sweet and brown if you don't use too much, just use enough water to cover the nettles in the pan.

Sydsmith
Extremely Wise Man
Extremely Wise Man

Post by Sydsmith »

Sorry if I sounded paranoid, but Aberystwyth and the surrounding area was swamped last weekend with folks in camper vans, caravans and even tents. They packed the supermarkets and camp sites in their thousands. Who knows if they may have left the evil virus behind them. It was unbelievable to watch them arrive on Friday night and leave again on Sunday.

Wales is a fabulous place to live and I don't blame folks for wanting to come here, indeed, in normal times visitors are the lifeblood of our tourist trade and vital to our economy, but we are a small town of 10,000 people, we have very good but limited hospital facilities and hard pressed medical centres. So far we are very fortunate to have only two cases of the virus, it would be devastating if the virus did get a hold.

What part of "no none essential travel" do folks not understand?

Thankfully the Welsh government have ordered the closure of all the sites and the Police are stopping camper vans, caravans and cars as they approach the coast and turning them back.

That does all sound mean and NIMBY, but I doubt there is another place in all the UK in our situation that would not have the same sentiment. Syd

Stan Thomas
Wise Man
Wise Man

Post by Stan Thomas »

I could not agree more Syd.