Please visit the Club's website https://www.dloc.org.uk/ to join. Visit https://www.dloc.org.uk/adhoc to DONATE towards the cost of the forum.
Please don't post someone's email address to avoid it being harvested by spambots and it's against GDPR regulations.
Always look at "ACTIVE TOPICS" to see all posts in date & time order as they are sometimes moved; or look at "Your Posts".
Please add Reg. nrs. when posting a photo or anything about a car as this will help searches. Don't add punctuation next to nr. as this negates search.
CHANGED YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS since registering?, click your username and check your address in User Control Panel, Profile, Account Settings.
If you want help to register, use "contact us" at page bottom for help.

Dating a registration number

Technical issues not related to a DLOC car marque, eg tyres, ethanol, other car makes, etc. and legal, political and insurance
grahamemmett
Chief Geek
Chief Geek

Dating a registration number

Post by grahamemmett »

I'm trying to date a DB18 DHC from it's registration number. Is there anywhere to look up index numbers and where and when they were issued?
The number in question is GGF441.

Thanks
Graham Emmett ¦ DLOC Chairman ¦ chair@dloc.co.uk ¦ 07967 109160
Northwich, Cheshire
DB18 1949 LCV522 (Yes that one with the P100s)

Norfolk Lad
Wise Man
Wise Man

Re: Dating a registration number

Post by Norfolk Lad »

GGF is March 1940 as records show a London registration, not always good if trying for record cards as lots of London cards have been lost or someone decided they were not needed any more taking up space i guess.

https://www.oldclassiccar.co.uk/registr ... etters.htm.

Just note we did find a error while searching for one reg but that is rare

Peter

grahamemmett
Chief Geek
Chief Geek

Post by grahamemmett »

Brilliant! Thank you.
The forum never ceases to amaze me. The depth of knowledge and willingness to share is outstanding.
Northwich, Cheshire

ranald
Helpful Person
Helpful Person

Post by ranald »

Hi Graham, Have you come across the Kithead Trust? http://kitheadtrust.org.uk/
It’s a valuable resource. Kind regards, Ranald

Norfolk Lad
Wise Man
Wise Man

Post by Norfolk Lad »

Just went back to check the GGF started March 1940 but as it was war time lasted until 1945.

HGF AUG 1945 ->

So GGF was used up to JULY 1945 as a guide

Peter

Stan Thomas
Wise Man
Wise Man

Post by Stan Thomas »

Hi Graham,

Having discovered where a car was originally registered - it is then well worth contacting the relevant council anyway as they often do have old records still on file even though the info would have been transfered when we "centralised" to the DVLA. I contacted Stoke-on-Trent Council and they sent me copy records for my car going back to 1947. If you get an address, follow that up the family may still be in residence - or will disclose who they bought the house from - so you can continue searching back further.

Also, try to discover who supplied the car in that area - as there remains a possibility this could be a source of inquiry - or even the local paper and/or an inquiry in their personal column. once you have the original date of registration - try the local library in case they have newspapers of that date on microfiche - there just might be some record there. Thanks to Dave Philpot, I discovered my car was supplied by Peppers of Newcastle-under-Lyme - long since gone in name but morfed into a still-existing dealership who iintend to contact.

My car is reputed to have originally been owned by a "titled person" and I got back as far as the owner living at a house called "The Mount" - the once home of Sir Oliver Lodge, why lived in Penkull, Soke-on-Trent.

I traced his great grandson (who is a mathematician in France) who very cordily immediately replied - but it was a dead-end.

But keep searching, as you might just get lucky - and finally get access to family pictures of when the car was new!!

Regards,

Stan.

Remember, the world before this one had trams in the streets.
Last edited by Stan Thomas on Sat Apr 04, 2020 1:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

grahamemmett
Chief Geek
Chief Geek

Post by grahamemmett »

Well blow me. I wasn't expecting to learn so much. Here is the photo that I was sent asking of we could identify and date the car.
Daimler 001.jpg
Northwich, Cheshire

Norfolk Lad
Wise Man
Wise Man

Post by Norfolk Lad »

GGF448
Vehicle Details
Vehicle make BUICK
Date of first registration May 1940
Year of manufacture 1940
Cylinder capacity 4496 cc
CO₂ emissions Not available
Fuel type PETROL
Euro status Not available
Real Driving Emissions (RDE) Not available
Export marker No
Vehicle status Taxed and due
Vehicle colour RED
Vehicle type approval Not available
Wheelplan 2 AXLE RIGID BODY
Revenue weight Not available
Date of last V5C (logbook) issued 29 May 2012

Christopher Storey
Helpful Person
Helpful Person

Post by Christopher Storey »

Unfortunately, Norfolk Lad, you got the wrong number, which is GGF 441 . Sadly, this is not on the DVLA database

Norfolk Lad
Wise Man
Wise Man

Post by Norfolk Lad »

The REASON FOR SHOWING GGF448 was to show it was May 1940 as the GGF ran longer then normal
up until July 1945 as we were at War.
This was the only one near the Reg number of GGE441 on DVLA sorry if this has confused anyone .
Peter