Please visit the Club's website https://www.dloc.org.uk/ to join. Visit https://www.dloc.org.uk/adhoc to DONATE towards the cost of the forum.
Please don't post someone's email address to avoid it being harvested by spambots and it's against GDPR regulations.
Always look at "ACTIVE TOPICS" to see all posts in date & time order as they are sometimes moved; or look at "Your Posts".
Please add Reg. nrs. when posting a photo or anything about a car as this will help searches. Don't add punctuation next to nr. as this negates search.
CHANGED YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS since registering?, click your username and check your address in User Control Panel, Profile, Account Settings.
If you want help to register, use "contact us" at page bottom for help.

Insurance during lock down

Technical issues not related to a DLOC car marque, eg tyres, ethanol, other car makes, etc. and legal, political and insurance
Sydsmith
Extremely Wise Man
Extremely Wise Man

Insurance during lock down

Post by Sydsmith »

I received an email from Heritage Insurance this morning with all sorts of stuff about the lock down, main reason for the email was to scotch the rumours that have been appearing in the press that none essential travel invalidated your insurance.

Seems this is incorrect, why do the press spread such rubbish? Noe essential travel, even if you are stopped and fined does not invalidate your insurance. The only thing you should do is let them know which car you are using and who is driving if you are doing voluntary work during the lock down.

Neither does taking advantage of the MOT holiday invalidate insurance as long as the car is roadworthy and was likley to pass an MOT test, so no bald tyres duff brakes etc.

No mention of course of any refund or reduction in premiums due to the general the lack of use during the pandemic, neither of my moderns or classics have turned a wheel on a public road for six weeks, they must be making a ton on the huge reduction in numbers and extent of claims.

I noticed Admiral have promised a derisory £25 refund to it's policy holders.

My policy costs around £700 a year for two moderns and two classics, so something over £52 a month, or £78 for six weeks even allowing for off road cover that should equate to a £40-50 refund. Syd

A.N.Other
Wide Man
Wide Man

Re: Insurance during lock down

Post by A.N.Other »

Sorry Syd but I don’t believe what they are telling you. Insurance companies will first and foremost investigate any possible means not to pay before stumping up the cash. In your second paragraph it mentions that you have to inform them what car and who is driving. If all your cars are insured then why is that needed ?
Colin,
I may be slow but I’m rough as well !

Sydsmith
Extremely Wise Man
Extremely Wise Man

Re: Insurance during lock down

Post by Sydsmith »

Colin, believe it or not, I can't really believe that in these days of easy litigation Heritage and KMG the underwriters would send out an email that contains wrong information, why would they?

With regard to the condition to notify car and driver. It was always a condition of the policy that they are notified of any use other than social domestic and pleasure. That is not uncommon with all car policies as far as I know. Certainly the Charity I work for insists on a letter of proof from the insurance company before volunteers are allowed to use their own cars to visit clients. Syd