Please visit the Club's website https://www.dloc.org.uk/ to join. Visit https://www.dloc.org.uk/adhoc to DONATE towards the cost of the forum.
Please don't post someone's email address to avoid it being harvested by spambots and it's against GDPR regulations.
Always look at "ACTIVE TOPICS" to see all posts in date & time order as they are sometimes moved; or look at "Your Posts".
Please add Reg. nrs. when posting a photo or anything about a car as this will help searches. Don't add punctuation next to nr. as this negates search.
CHANGED YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS since registering?, click your username and check your address in User Control Panel, Profile, Account Settings.
If you want help to register, use "contact us" at page bottom for help.

pre war head lights

Technical issues not related to a DLOC car marque, eg tyres, ethanol, other car makes, etc. and legal, political and insurance
A.N.Other
Wide Man
Wide Man

pre war head lights

Post by A.N.Other »

i have just started with a new project and I am sure I will be asking lots of questions in the not too distant future.
So here is the first.
I have two large head lights, one is a straight forward head light, the other has a dipping mechanism.
Which goes on the near side and which goes on the off side ?
Colin,
I may be slow but I’m rough as well !

Warsash 2

Re: pre war head lights

Post by Warsash 2 »

Hi
I don't really have the definitive answer but I would think that the non dipping one should go on the near side to illuminate the side of the road at all times. The dipping one should go on the offside so that it does not dazzle oncoming traffic. Later of course both the headlights dip to the nearside to avoid the said dazzling.
Regards
Colin

Petelang
Helpful Person
Helpful Person

Post by Petelang »

I think you will find the nearside one is the dipping lamp, the contacts within the solenoid of the dip mechanism is designed to switch OFF the offside lamp when you select dip. This is not very satisfactory for today's use.
Most people convert the non dipping lamp to dip also.
This can be done by fitting a similar dipping reflector to the lamp and change the cut out wiring.
It's a search on eBay for suitable bits.
Peter
Peter Langridge
Cloud Nine Classic Weddings, Nottingham.

marchesmark
Helpful Person
Helpful Person

Post by marchesmark »

As Peter says, the nearside would be the dipping one. Lots of pre-war cars were set up with a central pass lamp; when another car approached, pressing the dip switch would switch off the offside lamp, dip the nearside one, and switch on the pass lamp. I think the general view at the time was that lights were fitted so that others could see you, not really for you to see by.

Salmons
Helpful Person
Helpful Person

Post by Salmons »

Yes the nearside light dips and the offside goes out.
In the 1950s I had a 1939 Singer Super Eleven which had this system and you could not see much when dipped. So I bought another head lamp with the dipping reflector and fitted it to the offside so that I had double dipping headlights. No MOT's then but I doubt it wonder if it would be legal now

Phillmore
Wise Man
Wise Man

Post by Phillmore »

Big Col wrote:i have just started with a new project . . . . . . .
I have two large head lights . . . .
Now that's what I call an adventurous project! Do you have any particular car in mind to go with your lights?
Andy

1954 Conquest Mk1, 1956 Conquest Mk2, 1957 Conquest Century Mk2, 1955 Austin A90 Westminster

A.N.Other
Wide Man
Wide Man

Post by A.N.Other »

Thank you folks for your answers, I am about to start some re wiring and that helps me along the way.

By the way it is a little cheeky of me to ask on this forum as it is in fact a 1935 AC 16/66 DHC. I just have not got round to signing up for the A c forum yet.

Thanks again .
Colin,
I may be slow but I’m rough as well !

Stan Thomas
Wise Man
Wise Man

Post by Stan Thomas »

The system whereby the nearside headlight dipped and the offside one became extinguished became illegal in October 1937 - and I believe the law was retrospective.

If you Google "solenoid dip" there is an excelent article by the Austin Seven Club with wiring details which explains an easy method of conversion if you wish to retain originality and have both headlights operate by mechanical dip.

In the alternative, you can change the bulbs and connectotors and use twin filament bulbs as current practice, but remember if you retain the original reflectors you need to adjust the bulbs "in and out" relative to the reflector to set the beam - but at least you can then use 50w halogen bulbs.

Whilst on the subject, if you need the reflectors re-silvering, contact Kieth Ardley provides an excellent service, and charges only £5 per inch/diameter.

Norfolk Lad
Wise Man
Wise Man

Post by Norfolk Lad »

Lanchester LD10's were fitted with a pass light and production started 1946, and i think was only changed when the Barker body was fitted.
Still have pass light on mine and was told for MOT it was built like that so still allowed, so i think you can keep it as it was built.

John Hitchins
Site Admin

Post by John Hitchins »

Stan, could you give more details on Kieth Ardley and location please as my Headlights need silvering.
Thanks
John