Please visit the Club's website https://www.dloc.org.uk/ to join. Visit https://www.dloc.org.uk/adhoc to DONATE towards the cost of the forum.
Please don't post someone's email address to avoid it being harvested by spambots and it's against GDPR regulations.
Always look at "ACTIVE TOPICS" to see all posts in date & time order as they are sometimes moved; or look at "Your Posts".
Please add Reg. nrs. when posting a photo or anything about a car as this will help searches. Don't add punctuation next to nr. as this negates search.
CHANGED YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS since registering?, click your username and check your address in User Control Panel, Profile, Account Settings.
If you want help to register, use "contact us" at page bottom for help.

E10 fuel and other matters

Technical issues not related to a DLOC car marque, eg tyres, ethanol, other car makes, etc. and legal, political and insurance
grahamemmett
Chief Geek
Chief Geek

E10 fuel and other matters

Post by grahamemmett »

The Federation of British Historic Vehicle Clubs - to which the DLOC pays a handsome subscription, has some information on its website that somebody more cleverer than me might want to interpret.....
https://www.fbhvc.co.uk/fuels

also worth a look:https://www.concawe.eu/
Graham Emmett ¦ DLOC Chairman ¦ chair@dloc.co.uk ¦ 07967 109160
Northwich, Cheshire
DB18 1949 LCV522 (Yes that one with the P100s)

Brian-H
Very Wise Man
Very Wise Man

Re: E10 fuel and other matters

Post by Brian-H »

That FBHVC article is a very interesting read, right the way through.

I'm not sure what there is to interpret as it's very well written.

The salient section on ethanol can be found by using ctrl-f then putting the word "relating" (without quotes) into the search box, and then the browser should jump down to that key area on ethanol. From what I've read in other threads on this forum it's sort of summarised there.

John-B
Site Admin

Post by John-B »

The April DM has an article about the ethanol changes in September this year.
It seems that 95 octane fuel will normally have 10% ethanol and 97 octane will be 5% ethanol and classic car owners will be advised to use 97 octane "super" fuel.

My SP250 has been running very well on 95 octane unleaded fuel so will I need to adjust the mixture or advance/retard? I only do about 1500 miles a year so perhaps the increased octane in super won't be a problem.

What changes are Tesco planning?

classiclife
Classic Wise Man
Classic Wise Man

Post by classiclife »

John-B wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 11:25 am What changes are Tesco planning?
Hello John,

I suspect Tesco may drop their Momentum 99, which will be a pity, replacing it with a 97RON 5%E and adjust their 95RON to 10%E - pure speculation on my part.

One thing is for sure, the juggle - be it Tesco or elsewhere - will catch many a folk out with incorrect E grade fuel being used.

Regards.

Richard.
1968 Daimler V8-250 Saloon
DLOC East Sussex Branch Secretary
DLOC 2.5L V8 & V8-250 Registrar - https://www.dloc.org.uk/v8-250
DLOC 2024 International Rally - https://www.dloc.org.uk/rally-2024

Simon Hyslop

Post by Simon Hyslop »

I suspect the critical element will be that, once "Super Unleaded" becomes the only E5 fuel left, retailers will need to see a continuing demand for it which justifies selling it on the forecourt. I think we can assume that there is a decent demand for it even now otherwise it wouldn't be there but once the E10 95 octane is introduced, if they see steady and even increasing demand for the E5 product, it is likely to stay available for a good while to come.

I suppose it's not unlike the supply of cellulose paint, we were lead to believe it would be likely to disappear but the retailers of it don't seem to have any shortage of it even though it is supposed to not exceed a very small volume of paint sales. It's worth remembering too that there are so so many off road petrol engines which will be likely to be with us for a very long time and even if electric cars do rise in number, the off road use of petrol will at least be a continuing demand.

Just as an aside on the electric vehicle line, it never fails to amaze me that when a journalist on the box is trying out an electric car for a "green" article, the thing they always comment on is how super the acceleration is. As I chugged round the centre of Dumfries this morning in its 20 mph zone, I wondered why anyone would reasonably want a car to accelerate even faster than the modern petrol and diesel stuff ? Given that the average human is used to seeing a vehicle in the distance and makes a decision as to the expected time it will take for that vehicle to impact them if they step onto the road, I think we're heading for a lot of accidents with the super quiet super fast electric cars with close to zero vision through the slits called windows that are way above child and domestic animal height.

mikemillen

Post by mikemillen »

I've just discovered the good news that, in some parts of the country, Esso Synergy Supreme fuel contains no ethanol.
Here's a statement from the Esso website:

"Although our pumps have E5 labels on them, our Synergy Supreme+ 99 is actually ethanol free (except, due to technical supply reasons, in Devon, Cornwall, North Wales, North England and Scotland). Legislation requires us to place these E5 labels on pumps that dispense unleaded petrol with ‘up to 5% ethanol’, including those that contain no ethanol, which is why we display them on our Synergy Supreme+ 99 pumps.

There’s currently no requirement for renewable fuel, like ethanol, to be present in super unleaded petrol although this could change in the future, in which case we would comply with any new legislation."

grahamemmett
Chief Geek
Chief Geek

Post by grahamemmett »

Interesting Thanks Mike
Graham Emmett ¦ DLOC Chairman ¦ chair@dloc.co.uk ¦ 07967 109160
Northwich, Cheshire
DB18 1949 LCV522 (Yes that one with the P100s)

Christopher Storey
Helpful Person
Helpful Person

Post by Christopher Storey »

I believe that the hysteria about ethanol ( more properly called ethyl alcohol ) based fuels is just that . For the first 250,000 miles of my motoring career , from about 1962 to 1973, my preferred fuel was Cleveland Discol which at one stage was a blend of 75:25 petrol to alcohol. I never suffered any fuel system problem in a number of cars, some of which were pre-war

John-B
Site Admin

Post by John-B »

National Benzole Mixture and Regent Benzole Mixture were common in the 1950s and I'm sure my dad used Benzole mixture without any known damage, but I'm not sure if benzole is the same as ethanol.

Chris_R
Wise Man
Wise Man

Post by Chris_R »

I think the Benzole mixture was made from synthesising coal into petrol.