Please visit the Club's website https://www.dloc.org.uk/ to join. Visit https://www.dloc.org.uk/adhoc to DONATE towards the cost of the forum.
Please don't post someone's email address to avoid it being harvested by spambots and it's against GDPR regulations.
Always look at "ACTIVE TOPICS" to see all posts in date & time order as they are sometimes moved; or look at "Your Posts".
Please add Reg. nrs. when posting a photo or anything about a car as this will help searches. Don't add punctuation next to nr. as this negates search.
CHANGED YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS since registering?, click your username and check your address in User Control Panel, Profile, Account Settings.
If you want help to register, use "contact us" at page bottom for help.

spring extender

Technical issues not related to a DLOC car marque, eg tyres, ethanol, other car makes, etc. and legal, political and insurance
ranald
Helpful Person
Helpful Person

spring extender

Post by ranald »

Hello, I've been struggling with removing and refitting the "pull off spring" from the brake pedal assembly on my Lanchester. There must be tool out there for extending springs. Can anyone help me identify a suitable tool? Thank you, Ranald

Hamish

Re: spring extender

Post by Hamish »

Hi Ranald
I am afraid I am not familiar with what you describe specifically but I have used adapted circlip pliers for "opening" springs
As the jaws spread as you squeeze the grip.
Just a thought. That you may have already tried.
H
Over 50 years in Darts !

ranald
Helpful Person
Helpful Person

Re: spring extender

Post by ranald »

.Hamish, Thanks for your reply. I have managed to get the spring back again. Its a really strong spring, about 6" compressed and 10" extended and located in an awkward position. I don't think the pliers you mention would work in this case. I hooked the spring onto a small piece of wood cut to exactly the correct length and wedged the wood against the car's chassis which meant, once extended I could hook it in place. I'm amazed a tool does not seem to exist. A "G" clamp working the opposite way is the sort of thing required.