Please visit the Club's website https://www.dloc.org.uk/ to join. Visit https://www.dloc.org.uk/adhoc to DONATE towards the cost of the forum.
Please don't post someone's email address to avoid it being harvested by spambots and it's against GDPR regulations.
Always look at "ACTIVE TOPICS" to see all posts in date & time order as they are sometimes moved; or look at "Your Posts".
Please add Reg. nrs. when posting a photo or anything about a car as this will help searches. Don't add punctuation next to nr. as this negates search.
CHANGED YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS since registering?, click your username and check your address in User Control Panel, Profile, Account Settings.
If you want help to register, use "contact us" at page bottom for help.

Satnav socket wiring

Technical issues not related to a DLOC car marque, eg tyres, ethanol, other car makes, etc. and legal, political and insurance
John-B
Site Admin

Re: Satnav socket wiring

Post by John-B »

My satnav is all wired up now, but when I came to fix the display screen I found that there was no suitable place on the small Dart windscreen!

Anywhere near the interior mirror blocked my vision and the far right corner looked suitable but the suction grip wouldn't stick to the curved glass. Anywhere near the steering wheel covered part of the display.

At present I've got it low down right behind and on the left side of the steering wheel, next to the mirror and "right "in my face" where I can see it just below the top rim and only the top of the display is covered. It only blocks my view of the bonnet as my view of the road is over the top of the steering wheel. I've discovered that it's more useful to have the full width visible than top to bottom.

JT7196
Extremely Wise Man
Extremely Wise Man

Post by JT7196 »

Hi New Dexter, just one small point, when you stated that Pre-war cars were negative earth, well I can assure you that lots of them were like my Lanchester and fitted with a positive earth system.
Incidentally, I have added an auxiliary socket in my car which is wired negative earth, this is used for my on- board camera, and also using a double socket ,I can also have the Sat- Nav on at the same time.

Cheers A'l

1949startinghandle

Post by 1949startinghandle »

whatever the polarity of the car, any socket for auxiliaries must always be wired so that the centre terminal is POSITIVE and the side terminals are negative. This has nothing to do with the polarity of the car, but all accessories will be wired for the central connection to be positive.

JT7196
Extremely Wise Man
Extremely Wise Man

Post by JT7196 »

Hi, Keith, errr, I'm certain that I wired my Lanchester Auxiliary socket so that the central conn was wired neg and the Earth side was poss, both my Sat Nav and Dash Cam work OK wired this way . Well so-far anyway !!!

Cheers A'l

PS, I'm not sure that Geoff Douglas would agree with you either !!

With positive earth you will need to reverse the wiring connections at the socket of course, and I would shield the socket case itself with some sort of non-conductive housing to avoid accidental short circuits. This might be something as simple as wide insulating tape wrapped around the socket case.

On the other hand why not take this as the opportunity to "switch" to negative earth instead, it is so simple to do and makes a wide variety of other electrical issues a lot less complicated too. I doubt very much that a negative earth electrical system will devalue any of our car models significantly if original condition is the aim, it is so fundamentally unobtrusive.

Cheers

Geoff