Please visit the Club's website https://www.dloc.org.uk/ to join. Visit https://www.dloc.org.uk/adhoc to DONATE towards the cost of the forum.
Please don't post someone's email address to avoid it being harvested by spambots and it's against GDPR regulations.
Always look at "ACTIVE TOPICS" to see all posts in date & time order as they are sometimes moved; or look at "Your Posts".
Please add Reg. nrs. when posting a photo or anything about a car as this will help searches. Don't add punctuation next to nr. as this negates search.
CHANGED YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS since registering?, click your username and check your address in User Control Panel, Profile, Account Settings.
If you want help to register, use "contact us" at page bottom for help.

Windscreen Wipers

Technical issues not related to a DLOC car marque, eg tyres, ethanol, other car makes, etc. and legal, political and insurance
Johnsson

Windscreen Wipers

Post by Johnsson »

I have a 1934 Chrysler (shock,horror) that has vacuum operated non-working windscreen wipers. I would like to change these to an electrically operated system (6 volt). Someone mentioned that some early British cars had a footwell mounted windscreen wiper motor that operated the wipers by cable. Can anyone supply any information on such a system?
I would also be interested in any other ideas people may have to convert the system. The wipers are mounted over the top of the windscreen and the windscreen opens outwards from the bottom.

Trevor

Sydsmith
Extremely Wise Man
Extremely Wise Man

Re: Windscreen Wipers

Post by Sydsmith »

Trevor, I am sure you will know that for many years Ford persisted with vacuum operated wipers, they were a pain but if kept air tight did work.

Problem was they were often mounted at the top of the screen like yours, which made for neat mounting but great difficulty in making a conversion to 6 volt as there is nowhere to mount motors up there on top of the screen.

The systems with cable operation as you will know are still used in modern cars but for below screen operation. It's difficult to take the cable round the windscreen for top mounting so that is not common.

I have been wracking my brains for a car with such an arrangement, especially 6 volt, without success, but perhaps one of our American members may know of such a thing as American cars persisted with 6 volt long after Europe went to 12 volt.

The other option is to try the Ford owners club perhaps, they may well have already solved the problem for their cars.

Good luck with solving the problem

Johnsson

Post by Johnsson »

Thanks Syd,

I have been looking at the early 6 volt VW system and wonder whether I may be able to adapt something like they had.

Trevor

Vortex O'Plinth
Extra-Wise Man
Extra-Wise Man

Post by Vortex O'Plinth »

Can these guys suggest anything?
Nick

"Don't bother with the Air & Space Museum - there's nothing to see.......".

Brooksy

Post by Brooksy »

Trevor,

Have a look at Rocket Industries here in NSW (Eastern Creek).
They do a lot of the hotrod stuff, and I know that they have had top of windscreen mounting wiper systems..
They do a paper catalogue, also can look at their web page.

Regards
Regards

Brooksy

1962 SP250 Ex Met Police 104035