Please visit the Club's website https://www.dloc.org.uk/ to join. Visit https://www.dloc.org.uk/adhoc to DONATE towards the cost of the forum.
Please don't post someone's email address to avoid it being harvested by spambots and it's against GDPR regulations.
Always look at "ACTIVE TOPICS" to see all posts in date & time order as they are sometimes moved; or look at "Your Posts".
Please add Reg. nrs. when posting a photo or anything about a car as this will help searches. Don't add punctuation next to nr. as this negates search.
CHANGED YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS since registering?, click your username and check your address in User Control Panel, Profile, Account Settings.
If you want help to register, use "contact us" at page bottom for help.

Rear Lamp colouring

Technical issues not related to a DLOC car marque, eg tyres, ethanol, other car makes, etc. and legal, political and insurance
Roark

Rear Lamp colouring

Post by Roark »

I noticed that the new, LED, bulb I bought at the NEC last year was much brighter than its 5w counterpart in the opposite rear wing pod and I have another 5/21 LED bulb to fit.
However, as in keeping with many older cars the two rear lights in the boot lid that are both red light and number plate lights were pitifully poor in their output.
The nearside is a reverse light with a red lens created by applying red paint of some description on to the inside of the glass. However, neither side matches the other and I had heard that nail varnish does much the same job as paint as it allows light to pass through easily yet provides the correct colour.
I have had an odd look from one of the ladies in my local T***o when I asked where the tights were displayed. Initially she started to accompany me to the correct location and then gave me "one of those looks" until I explained that tights were a very good way of sieving emulsion paint. I could have sought her advice on the range of nail varnishes but didn't want to give her even more cause to wonder.
Does anyone concur with the use of nail varnish rather than red paint? Do I pick a really dark red in the hope that white light will give a decent red light when passed through it?

NickDeAth
Helpful Person
Helpful Person

Re: Rear Lamp colouring

Post by NickDeAth »

I have noticed in places like Hobbycraft kits for decorating glasses and bottles. The finished item looks more like a translucent lacquer than solid colour paint. Might be worth a look.

Nick
"Nick - do you think you will ever put that old car back together again?"

Brooksy

Post by Brooksy »

There is a product called Specialty Lens Dye, which is designed for recoloring tail light lenses. It is available in amber and red, I have used both extensively in my business and they work well. It is available in an aerosol and as a brush on, I found the aerosol to be better as you can get a more even coverage with it.

This is what the aerosol tin looks like here in Australia https://www.autobarn.com.au/specialty-l ... sol-fs0007

Regards
Regards

Brooksy

1962 SP250 Ex Met Police 104035

Roark

Post by Roark »

Thank you gentlemen. I looked up the spray paint and didn't have time to look for a supplier here. I will try the Hobbycraft route as well. I have seen the "fluted" glass lenses that are fitted to Consorts and they are simply clear glass with a red paint to produce the red lens