Please visit the Club's website https://www.dloc.org.uk/ to join. Visit https://www.dloc.org.uk/adhoc to DONATE towards the cost of the forum.
Please don't post someone's email address to avoid it being harvested by spambots and it's against GDPR regulations.
Always look at "ACTIVE TOPICS" to see all posts in date & time order as they are sometimes moved; or look at "Your Posts".
Please add Reg. nrs. when posting a photo or anything about a car as this will help searches. Don't add punctuation next to nr. as this negates search.
CHANGED YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS since registering?, click your username and check your address in User Control Panel, Profile, Account Settings.
If you want help to register, use "contact us" at page bottom for help.

Does leaving the EU affect Classic motoring?

Technical issues not related to a DLOC car marque, eg tyres, ethanol, other car makes, etc. and legal, political and insurance
Chris_R
Wise Man
Wise Man

Does leaving the EU affect Classic motoring?

Post by Chris_R »

Since the other thread (viewtopic.php?f=18&t=470&start=110) was locked, thus closing down the discussion....
John Hitchins wrote: Re: Does being in the EU affect Classic motoring?

John, can you think of anyway our hobby can be damaged by the EU in the next 2 years? I think any change would be hard to enforce.
John-B wrote: Postby John-B » Tue Jun 28, 2016 10:51 am
Hard to enforce? Possibly, but after crossing the channel classic cars could be subject to delays for testing and possibly turned back (as, I think, sub-standard lorries are).

The first and third and fourth posts in this topic by David S, Josef Eckert and Vortex O'Plinth mentioned a few restrictions so it's possible that modified classic cars might be banned or required to be tested after crossing the channel, so it shows that classic cars could be subject to some restrictions, but I hope not.
The Vienna Convention on Road Traffic which came into effect in 1977 covers this for short term tourism. Basically, it imposes the obligation on signatory countries to recognise the legality of vehicles from other signatory countries. The vehicle must meet the technical requirements of the country of registration. Any conflicting technical requirements do not apply. 74 countries have signed it including all of Europe and Russia
It does not exempt you from local restrictions such as pre-1997 cars being banned from Paris.

David S

Re: Does leaving the EU affect Classic motoring?

Post by David S »

Interesting that on vienna Chris, Thanks!
Maybe Paris should ban all VW Diesels too?
[or is that for another time?]

Bonzodog

Post by Bonzodog »

Apparently the Paris ban has now been modified to permit cars over 30 years old. However, do the French have access to foreign registration data and, if not, how will they know how old any non-French registered car is (unless they are going to use some sort of permit scheme)?

Bonzodog

Post by Bonzodog »

One other thought is that if the Euros go down the route of absolute purity with regard to originality (as FIVA seem to have taken it on themselves to suggest) then the market for modified British cars should evaporate which will hopefully shut down the (often German) "coachbuilders" who buy in anything with a chassis to produce God-awful pointy tailed thirties specials. Not that this country doesn't have more than its share of them....

Josef Eckert

Post by Josef Eckert »

Bonzodog wrote: then the market for modified British cars should evaporate which will hopefully shut down the (often German) "coachbuilders" who buy in anything with a chassis to produce God-awful pointy tailed thirties specials. Not that this country doesn't have more than its share of them....
May not be Germans, as there is no chance to have such a Special registered in Germany, except it was already registered as a classic car in the UK or other place in the world and its proofed to be done more than 30 years ago.

Josef Eckert
Konigswinter/Germany

Josef Eckert

Post by Josef Eckert »

Bonzodog wrote:Apparently the Paris ban has now been modified to permit cars over 30 years old. However, do the French have access to foreign registration data and, if not, how will they know how old any non-French registered car is (unless they are going to use some sort of permit scheme)?
Do you really want to drive into Paris in a classic car? I would avoid it in any way with any car and take tube or suburban train to go in.

Bonzodog

Post by Bonzodog »

Hello Josef

Please don't think I was aiming a rant at any particular nation (not that you seemed to be implying I was of course). As I said, we Brits carry out more than our fair share of vandalism. One car I specifically had in mind was this abortion

http://lanchesters.com/index.php/2015/0 ... s-special/

Not a recent job but obviously someone managed to pull a fast one with the German authorities.

As for Paris, I wouldn't volunteer to drive round central London and I would guess your right that the French capital is no better, although I would say that these days the French generally drive slightly better than the English. That said, I did see that someone is organising a sort of drive-it day in Paris at the end of July or beginning of August which I might attend if I can find the details again.

Richard

David S

Post by David S »

Ummm, modified cars eh?

Well, someone has to make some rules up then as all cars have their oil changed on 1st service, then tyres and battery, and of course exhausts get changed too, so the cars are not original any more are they?

OK, I know what you're thinking but you get the point. Wire wheels, radios, bumpers, sealed beam lights, stainless steel exhaust or seat belts added to a Dart, does that make it non-origial? Well, actually it's not original any more is it? And what if it has a re-conditioned engine [ouch!]??? But really, which record books will they look at when you arrive in Calais or Le Havre on your way to Le Mans???

I remember a long time ago at another 'One Make' Club's National Rally [Not Daimler] some blokes were nit picking, they were saying a car shouldn't be awarded 'best in show' as it had the wrong tryes fitted, and that is the make of tyre, not the size of tyre or whether it was cross-ply or radial! It made me wonder if I should remain a member of that club, but I use these examples just to make a point. I just think no one could enforce an 'original' rule without some EU type regulations, and many nations in the EU ignore such rules anyway so it'd be a total waste of EU paper.

Sorry!