Please visit the Club's website https://www.dloc.org.uk/ to join. Visit https://www.dloc.org.uk/adhoc to DONATE towards the cost of the forum.
Please don't post someone's email address to avoid it being harvested by spambots and it's against GDPR regulations.
Always look at "ACTIVE TOPICS" to see all posts in date & time order as they are sometimes moved; or look at "Your Posts".
Please add Reg. nrs. when posting a photo or anything about a car as this will help searches. Don't add punctuation next to nr. as this negates search.
CHANGED YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS since registering?, click your username and check your address in User Control Panel, Profile, Account Settings.
If you want help to register, use "contact us" at page bottom for help.

Frost Damage & Tappets

Technical issues not related to a DLOC car marque, eg tyres, ethanol, other car makes, etc. and legal, political and insurance
Bonzodog

Frost Damage & Tappets

Post by Bonzodog »

I have an engine with very bad frost damage - a section of water jacket about 2 by five inches has bulged out. Normally one might look for a replacement block but this is for a DK400 so I have to work with what I have got. Can anyone recommended a best solution (ie welding vs cold stitching) and any firm (pref local to Southampton / Hampshire) who could be relied on to do a good job ?

Also, is it possible (ie financially feasible) to have tappets made (again for the DK) ?

theoldman
Extremely Wise Man
Extremely Wise Man

Re: Frost Damage & Tappets

Post by theoldman »

Can't heip with the frost damage, Richard, but surely the 4.5 engine was based on the old 3.5 unit?

If so, Darren W is currently storing some 104 stuff for me until I can make space at the new abode.

I'm sure if you asked him nicely he could dig out a tappet (I THINK there are a few in there) for you to compare with those fitted.

Neil
Normal for Norfolk

Petelang
Helpful Person
Helpful Person

Post by Petelang »

I have had a long history of work relations with Stitchweld at Burton on Trent.
Quite a few years ago, early 1980s I had to get them in to repair about six Gardener bus engines which froze up on my watch as Service Manager of a service depot. He was meticulous and a successful outcome with all of the units.
More recently, he repaired my Daimler Fifteen block where the head studs had pulled through and cracked the top of the block face.
Highly recommended and as this is very much a dying art, very valuable. Not overly expensive, considering the saving on potentially finding another engine block.
He told me he was pondering retirement, with no one to take on the business. Very worrying!
http://stitchweld.co.uk
Peter
Peter Langridge
Cloud Nine Classic Weddings, Nottingham.

weddingcartim

Post by weddingcartim »

is it a v8 like the m/major engine

Christopher Storey
Helpful Person
Helpful Person

Post by Christopher Storey »

No it is a DK400 which is a 4.6 litre 6 cylinder engine