Please visit the Club's website https://www.dloc.org.uk/ to join. Visit https://www.dloc.org.uk/adhoc to DONATE towards the cost of the forum.
Please don't post someone's email address to avoid it being harvested by spambots and it's against GDPR regulations.
Always look at "ACTIVE TOPICS" to see all posts in date & time order as they are sometimes moved; or look at "Your Posts".
Please add Reg. nrs. when posting a photo or anything about a car as this will help searches. Don't add punctuation next to nr. as this negates search.
CHANGED YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS since registering?, click your username and check your address in User Control Panel, Profile, Account Settings.
If you want help to register, use "contact us" at page bottom for help.

Degreaser

Technical issues not related to a DLOC car marque, eg tyres, ethanol, other car makes, etc. and legal, political and insurance
Roark

Degreaser

Post by Roark »

Having removed both back plates and hubs etc I need a decent degreaser. I have one that is in stock and that's made by Comma but I wonder if it's as good as something else that is available.
I was hoping to resurrect a proper parts washer where the dirty material is washed into a drum but that would require a large amount of cleaner. I do not have an objection to spending money on a larger quantity but it has to be the right one.
There was, or perhaps is still, a company called SafetyKleen which provided parts washers to garages. I am not sure what material they provided but does anyone have any recommendations?

A.N.Other
Wide Man
Wide Man

Re: Degreaser

Post by A.N.Other »

Comma is generally not bad and very well priced.

My dad always used parrafin. Back in his day it was cheap and easily obtainable. The waste was then always used on the bonfire. It was a good way to get rid of it but may not be allowed nowadays.

You could try the other option of something like Jangro. It is an excellent general cleaner and is diluted with water.
Colin,
I may be slow but I’m rough as well !

marchesmark
Helpful Person
Helpful Person

Post by marchesmark »

I use Surfex HD from Bilt Hamber. It is environmentally friendly and can be diluted with water for various jobs. More to the point, I find it very effective. IN fact, all of their stuff is excellent - I use lots of Ferrosol, and have used their waxes and clay bars for years in preference to Meguiars or similar. Try them, I don't think you will be disappointed.

http://www.bilthamber.com/car-cleaning- ... /surfex-hd

theoldman
Extremely Wise Man
Extremely Wise Man

Post by theoldman »

I still use Gunk. IMHO you can't beat it and it forms an emulsion which can be put down the drain.
Normal for Norfolk

Fossil
Wise Man
Wise Man

Post by Fossil »

I've a feeling that someone will quote a very good reason why this suggestion is rubbish, but I'll go ahead anyway: I've used simple white spirit as a degreaser for decades with no problems that I'm aware of. My degreaser tank is an old plastic kitchen basin with a heavy gauge wire netting cover, upon which to rest the items. Heavily contaminated parts are either left in spirit overnight in another old basin or just brushed with copious amounts of neat spirit until clean, then put aside to dry.

Small parts - nuts, bolts, screws etc can be agitated in spirit in a glass or plastic jar with a screw top, useful practice for orchestral or jazz percussionists. It will dissolve old grease fater than gunk, how fast depends on the stiffness of the brush used. If large parts are involved, eg wire wheels, brake back plates & drums, axles, suspensions, gearboxes, or engines, out of car or in situ, the same technique with cardboard, old sheets, blankets or whatever underneath to soak up the wash. What could be simpler or more effective for less ££?

I await a chorus of dissent..............

Cheers anyway

Geoff

Sydsmith
Extremely Wise Man
Extremely Wise Man

Post by Sydsmith »

Quite the opposite Geoff,

I have used the cheapest turps substitute/white spirit I can find for years, it has always worked well without the hanging on of the strong smell you get with Gunk it does not evaporate quickly and it settles out so you can run off the good stuff and throw away the dirty.

I also find that if you use white spirit, you can wash suitable items in very hot fairy liquid water after and it gets them really clean.

Hot water and fairy works on paint brushes too after you have got the worst of the paint oil or grease out of them.

Only down side is you should not swill it down the drain.