Regular DLOC Meetings

John-B
Site Admin

Regular DLOC Meetings

Post by John-B » Thu Apr 28, 2016 2:16 pm

Regular DLOC Meetings as at January 2018

BRISTOL 4th Tuesday; The White Horse, Buckover (A38 North of Thornbury); 9:00pm

E. COUNTIES 1st Tuesday; The Old Ferry Boat Inn, Back Lane, Hollywell, St. Ives, Cambs. PE27 4TG; 8:00pm

E. MIDLANDS Last Wednesday; The Plough, Main St., Normanton On Soar, Leics; 8:00pm

ESSEX 3rd Thursday; Red Lion, Margaretting (old A12), Nr. Chelmsford; 8:00pm

HAMPSHIRE 2nd Monday; Brigadier Gerard, Botley Road, Horton Heath, Eastleigh, Hampshire, SO50 7DQ; 8:00pm

HERTFORDSHIRE 1st Monday; The Unicorn, 35 Gallows Hill, Abbots Langley, WD4 8LU; http://www.unicornpub.co.uk

KENT Last Friday; Three Horseshoes, Knockholt, TN14 7LD

NORTH EAST Last Tuesday; Heworth Golf Club, Gingling Gate, Heworth, Gateshead, NE10 8XY; 8:00pm

N/EAST MIDLANDS 2nd Saturday; The Amber Hotel, Toadhole Furnace, DE55 7LL; (B6013); 2.00pm onwards; contact 07812 669350

N/WEST & FYLDE 1st Tuesday; The Rigbye Arms, 2 Whittle Lane, High Moor, Wrightington, Nr. Wigan, WN6 9QB; 8:00pm

OXFORD Different dates; please see http://www.dlocoxford.org.uk

WEST MIDLANDS 2nd Tuesday; Wylde Green PH, Birmingham, Road (A5127)

SP250 REGISTER 1st Thursday; The Inn on the Green, Ockley, Surrey (A29); 9:00pm

SURREY Last Wednesday; Venues vary, please see http://www.svvs.org ; 8:00pm

WEST OF SCOTLAND 1st Wednesday; Balloch House Hotel in Balloch, Dunbartonshire, G83 8LQ

YORKSHIRE 2nd Wednesday; Old Corn Mill, Wakefield Road, West Yorkshire HD6 4HA; 8.00pm

JT7196

Re: Regular DLOC Meetings

Post by JT7196 » Tue Jan 23, 2018 9:19 pm

I wonder why the Bristol meet is so late , that’s about an hours drive from where I live(Yeovil) . I would love to attend one of their meetings, but a 9:00 pm start is just too late , especially if I wanted to take the Lanchester !!

Cheers A’l. :D :D

John-B
Site Admin

Post by John-B » Tue Jan 23, 2018 9:25 pm

I was brought up in Bristol and bought my Dart there in 1968 but I never go because Thornbury is a fair way north of Bristol. I agree that 9pm is late, but all pub meets probably end late and then have a very late drive home.

I never liked the A38. It was full of fast heavy lorries going between Bristol and the Midlands. It was mainly the old-fashioned three lane road. For those who don't understand, the outer lanes were for traffic in opposite directions but the middle lane was for traffic in both directions at the same time.

If you wanted to overtake, you poked your nose out and if a vehicle coming the other way in the middle lane seemed far enough away, you overtook and then nipped back into your left lane.

If someone coming the other way was overtaking at the same time, in rain in the dark, there was often a crash.

Some cars and lorries just hogged the middle lane and played chicken with oncoming traffic.

Norfolk Lad

Post by Norfolk Lad » Tue Jan 23, 2018 10:27 pm

Eastern Counties is just a short 160 mile round trip so will not join then on the first tuesday, or any day of the week would be good if a few locals got together. :D ;) :o

Vortex O'Plinth

Post by Vortex O'Plinth » Tue Jan 23, 2018 10:27 pm

I too remember the three-lane days of the old A38 John. It was a major commuter route for people living north of Bristol, many of them working at the old Bristol Aeroplane and Bristol Siddeley plants in Filton and Patchway. There were horrendous accidents almost every week with people 'duelling' for the middle lane. Fortunately the old three lane layout is long-gone, except interestingly, for a short stretch just beyond the White Horse going north! After the M5 was opened this stretch of the A38 became for a while almost deserted; nowadays it's as busy as ever with drivers avoiding the jams on the motorway.

Incidentally, the Bristol meet is a joint one with the Alvis Club who heavily outnumber any Daimlers or Lanchesters. Last time I went I was the only DLOC owner.
Nick

Pas d'elle yeux Rhône que nous.

John-B
Site Admin

Post by John-B » Wed Jan 24, 2018 7:19 am

Most of the DLOC regular meetings seem to be at pubs late in the evening. I would much prefer a Sunday lunchtime meet so that you can lounge around in a pub garden instead of standing in a crowded bar.

When I did a bit of cross-country running we used to run at 11am on a Sunday and then drink all afternoon and fool about in a sunny pub garden. (Oh dear, perhaps I shouldn't have said that.)

Perhaps all DLOC events should change to Sunday lunchtime, allowing some of us from further away to have comfortable daylight journeys.

Norfolk Lad

Post by Norfolk Lad » Wed Jan 24, 2018 8:18 am

Can see why people join local classic car clubs as the distance will be far less for those of us that are 80 plus miles away from the area meeting place, just the same in the Morris Club no local events makes me wonder why we join and stay. :o :shock:

Salmons

Post by Salmons » Mon Mar 26, 2018 8:34 am

It's even worse living in North Norfolk, The only local event we get is Neil's excellent Holt Show. There is a good local car club catering for all makes, but I am not really interested in the rows of cars mainly from the 1980s onwards.

We choose to live in these remote and peaceful areas so we must not complain but it would be nice to see some events within more reasonable distances.

Dennis

John-B
Site Admin

Post by John-B » Mon Mar 26, 2018 9:11 am

It's not the distance to area meets that I was commenting on, it's the late night driving in the dark with old weak headlamps and a belly full of beer. Sunday 11am would be a more sociable time.

simonp

Post by simonp » Mon Mar 26, 2018 9:49 am

A Club I am involved with meets on Sunday in the Winter and mid week in the Summer because of the light.

SimonP
Daimler SP 250 - "To feel its eager response as you open up is to know a new motoring adventure"(Sales brochure) The adventure continues!