Please visit the Club's website https://www.dloc.org.uk/ to join. Visit https://www.dloc.org.uk/adhoc to DONATE towards the cost of the forum.
Please don't post someone's email address to avoid it being harvested by spambots and it's against GDPR regulations.
Always look at "ACTIVE TOPICS" to see all posts in date & time order as they are sometimes moved; or look at "Your Posts".
Please add Reg. nrs. when posting a photo or anything about a car as this will help searches. Don't add punctuation next to nr. as this negates search.
CHANGED YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS since registering?, click your username and check your address in User Control Panel, Profile, Account Settings.
If you want help to register, use "contact us" at page bottom for help.

Fluid Flywheel Oil Seal Replacement Lanchester LA models etc

Descriptive and in-depth articles on how to do repairs or restoration. (Wilf's articles visible by forum members only).
JT7196
Extremely Wise Man
Extremely Wise Man

Fluid Flywheel Oil Seal Replacement Lanchester LA models etc

Post by JT7196 »

Hi Chaps here is my "How to do" article for replacing Fluid Flywheel Oil Seals

Fitting replacement seals to a Fluid Flywheel

After Removal of Gear Box

1 Drain the oil from the fluid flywheel.

2 Scribe a line across the two halves of the flywheel assy (For re-assembly purposes)

3 Remove the Seal Retaining centre plate

4 Remove all of the bolts that hold the two halves together.

5 Separate the two halves. Leaving the driving half still attached to the flywheel

6 Carefully remove the old seal packing etc and discard.

6a Click on link below for pictures
https://picasaweb.google.com/1163253623 ... directlink

7 Measure the diameter of the centre shaft.

8 Measure the internal diameter of the recess where the packing was located

9 Purchase two suitable lip seals. (The only one's that I could purchase locally, needed the outer rubber covering diameter to be carefully reduced with emery tape, as otherwise when pressed into the flywheel housing, they were a very tight fit and damage would be caused to the outer rubber covering)

10 Press the first seal fully home to the bottom of the recess (Flat side upwards towards you)

11 Press the second seal into the recess, this time leaving the flat surface of the second seal level with the top face of the recess

12 Apply a liberal amount of grease to both the seals, ensuring that the gap left between the seals is filled completely with grease. (This is to ensure that the outer seal is always lubricated)

13 Lightly dress the centre shaft to remove any rough areas

14 Refit the centre cover plate (This is just to ensure the outer seal remains in place, but probably not necessary)

15 Re-assemble the two halves of the flywheel assy (Ensuring that they are returned to their original positions)

16 Refill the fluid flywheel .

I carried out this modification to the flywheel on my "Eleven" several years ago and have not had any leakage problems since.

Seal Part No OSM/25417R23

The supplier I use is :-
Premier Power Products Ltd,
Unit 1, Dampier Mews,
Edward Close,
Houndstone Business Park,
Yeovil,
Somerset,
BA22-8RU.

Tel No 01935-432412

e-mail markellis27@googlemail.com

If I can be of any further assistance, just give my a call :- 01935-420168