Please visit the Club's website https://www.dloc.org.uk/ to join. Visit https://www.dloc.org.uk/adhoc to DONATE towards the cost of the forum.
Please don't post someone's email address to avoid it being harvested by spambots and it's against GDPR regulations.
Always look at "ACTIVE TOPICS" to see all posts in date & time order as they are sometimes moved; or look at "Your Posts".
Please add Reg. nrs. when posting a photo or anything about a car as this will help searches. Don't add punctuation next to nr. as this negates search.
CHANGED YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS since registering?, click your username and check your address in User Control Panel, Profile, Account Settings.
If you want help to register, use "contact us" at page bottom for help.

A useful gizmo ? A Voltmeter !

Descriptive and in-depth articles on how to do repairs or restoration. (Wilf's articles visible by forum members only).
Simon Hyslop

A useful gizmo ? A Voltmeter !

Post by Simon Hyslop »

I was out the other day in a car that I'd been working on over the winter. The ammeter was showing near 30 amps charging even after quite a bit of journeying on a battery that was fairly well charged and it got me thinking about the regulator which had been ok before the winter but last winter seemed a funny one. Things that had been ok before the winter certainly weren't afterwards, mainly due to dampness.

I have fitted cigarette lighter type sockets to most of the cars so that things can be readily plugged in to charge or work and I came across a plug in LED voltmeter on ebay, £3.18 from a UK seller. It arrived today and I'm rather pleased with it. Plug it in and it lets you know whether the battery voltage is within the limits it should be, or not. Handy for knowing whether to be on summer or winter charging for the LA10 and handy for knowing just what the LD10 was doing with it having neither a voltmeter nor an ammeter from new. Just something that seemed Quite Useful even if not Quite Interesting ! Lots of other sellers have similar, this was just the one I landed one that was actually posting from the UK.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/12V-24V-LED-C ... 0577&cust=

theoldman
Extremely Wise Man
Extremely Wise Man

Re: A useful gizmo ? A Voltmeter !

Post by theoldman »

Couldn't resist it. What a great piece of kit for not a lot of money!!
Normal for Norfolk

John Hitchins
Site Admin

Post by John Hitchins »

Can you confirm works on a pos earth as I would have thought polarity sensitive like wirelesses and sat nav?

Simon Hyslop

Post by Simon Hyslop »

When you wire in a socket on a positive earth car, the wires go to a negative feed and a positive earth, so any device connected in to the socket works properly. This works as long as the socket and device are otherwise electrically insulated. As the socket and the voltmeter are both plastic cased and fed by two wires, there are no polarity problems.

David S

Post by David S »

HOW INTERESTING....!
Have you seen this seller's 'other items for sale'?

David

HenryC
Helpful Person
Helpful Person

Post by HenryC »

Well - the voltmeter works, couldn't tell you about the other 'items'!
Cheers, Henry Curwen
Registrar for Conquest & Century Saloons (DJ250/1, DJ256/7, DJ260/1)

Conquest (Drop Head) Coupe DJ252

captain bobo

Post by captain bobo »

It looks really useful, well spotted! :D

I couldn't resist buying one for the Daimler 15 which has a cigar socket (Daimler owners had cigar sockets not cigarette sockets!!) fitted as standard and is negative earth.
Best wishes, Dave B