Please visit the Club's website https://www.dloc.org.uk/ to join. Visit https://www.dloc.org.uk/adhoc to DONATE towards the cost of the forum.
Please don't post someone's email address to avoid it being harvested by spambots and it's against GDPR regulations.
Always look at "ACTIVE TOPICS" to see all posts in date & time order as they are sometimes moved; or look at "Your Posts".
Please add Reg. nrs. when posting a photo or anything about a car as this will help searches. Don't add punctuation next to nr. as this negates search.
CHANGED YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS since registering?, click your username and check your address in User Control Panel, Profile, Account Settings.
If you want help to register, use "contact us" at page bottom for help.

Lanchester LA10, 11, 12/6 & 14 Vehicle Technical support

Descriptive and in-depth articles on how to do repairs or restoration. (Wilf's articles visible by forum members only).
JT7196
Extremely Wise Man
Extremely Wise Man

Lanchester LA10, 11, 12/6 & 14 Vehicle Technical support

Post by JT7196 »

Hi Chaps, here are a few articles that I wrote some time ago.
For those of you who may also be contemplating doing your rear Hub Seals, Fluid Flywheel Oil Seals, or Differential Pinion Oil Seals, below are some copies of my "How to do" articles and some pictures

Procedure for replacing Rear Hub Oil Seal

Having already identified which side is leaking,
Jack up rear of vehicle, and secure using suitable Axle Stands.
Drain oil from axle and apply hand brake.
Mark position of Split Pin on the end of the Drive Shaft with some White Paint
Remove split pin, hub nut & flat washer, release hand brake de-adjust the brake shoe assy and remove brake drum.

NOTE Before using hub puller always refit hub nut on by 4 /5 turns for safety.
Remove hub assy using a suitable puller, this will expose the hub oil seal retainer.
The retainer is screwed onto the axle assy (R/H thread) and is locked in position
by a special extended nosed set screw (See picture)
Prior to removing the screw and oil seal retainer, mark position of screw
and retainer with white paint this will assist when refitting later

Next remove the old oil seal taking care not to damage surfaces in oil seal retainer.
Press home new oil seal, ensuring that it is fitted the correct way round!
Lubricate new oil seal prior to fitting the assy back onto vehicle..
Refit assy and tighten until white marks line up and refit locking screw.
Prior to refitting hub, ensure that there is no damage to sealing area.
Also pump some grease through grease nipple in hub to ensure that
the passageway to the hub bearing is not blocked
Refit hub assy back onto half shaft, refit flat washer, hub nut and retighten.
Fit new split pin, brake drum and re-adjust brake assy
Finally refill rear axle with correct grade of oil. (SAE 140)

https://picasaweb.google.com/1163253623 ... directlink

Cheers A'l
Last edited by JT7196 on Sun Feb 21, 2016 1:42 pm, edited 4 times in total.

JT7196
Extremely Wise Man
Extremely Wise Man

Re: Lanchester Technical support

Post by JT7196 »

Fitting replacement seals to a Fluid Flywheel

After Removal of Gear Box

1 Drain the oil from the fluid flywheel.

2 Scribe a line across the two halves of the flywheel assy (For re-assembly purposes)

3 Remove the Seal Retaining centre plate

4 Remove all of the bolts that hold the two halves together.

5 Separate the two halves. Leaving the driving half still attached to the flywheel

6 Carefully remove the old seal packing etc and discard.

6a Click on link below for pictures
https://picasaweb.google.com/1163253623 ... N2gE&feat=

7 Measure the diameter of the centre shaft.

8 Measure the internal diameter of the recess where the packing was located

9 Purchase two suitable lip seals. (The only one's that I could purchase locally, needed the outer rubber covering diameter to be carefully reduced with emery tape, as otherwise when pressed into the flywheel housing, they were a very tight fit and damage would be caused to the outer rubber covering)

10 Press the first seal fully home to the bottom of the recess (Flat side upwards towards you)

11 Press the second seal into the recess, this time leaving the flat surface of the second seal level with the top face of the recess

12 Apply a liberal amount of grease to both the seals, ensuring that the gap left between the seals is filled completely with grease. (This is to ensure that the outer seal is always lubricated)

13 Lightly dress the centre shaft to remove any rough areas

14 Refit the centre cover plate (This is just to ensure the outer seal remains in place, but probably not necessary)

15 Re-assemble the two halves of the flywheel assy (Ensuring that they are returned to their original positions)

16 Refill the fluid flywheel .

I carried out this modification to the flywheel on my "Eleven" several years ago and have not had any leakage problems since.

Seal Part No OSM/25417R23

The supplier I use is :-
Premier Power Products Ltd,
Unit 1, Dampier Mews,
Edward Close,
Houndstone Business Park,
Yeovil,
Somerset,
BA22-8RU.

Tel No 01935-432412

If I can be of any further assistance, just give my a call :- 01935-420168

Best wishes A'l
Last edited by JT7196 on Sun Feb 21, 2016 1:44 pm, edited 3 times in total.

JT7196
Extremely Wise Man
Extremely Wise Man

Re: Lanchester LA10, 11, 12/6 & 14 Vehicle Technical support

Post by JT7196 »

Method to replace a Pinion Oil Seal on Lanchester rear Axle

1 Jack up vehicle and place on axle stands

2 Firmly apply Handbrake

3 Drain oil from diff unit

4 Remove the four prop shaft retaining bolts from rear flange and secure prop shaft away from work area

4a Insert Two of the Prop Shaft retaining bolts back into the Drive Flange and refit a nut on each.
Before attempting to undo the Flange retaining nut ,place a suitable lever /Bar between the Two re-fitted Flange bolts to prevent it turning, this should also prevent any undue damage being caused to the Phosphor Bronze Worm Wheel

5 Remove split pin and flange retaining nut and remove drive flange.
*(Mark position of split pin hole with white paint across end of shaft, before you remove the retaining nut)

6 Remove the screws that retain the oil seal Housing and withdraw.

7 Remove coil spring, concave oil seal compression plate old oil seal, another concave retaining plate from housing and discard all of these components.

8 Measure the internal Diameter of oil seal retainer and note size
9 Measure external Diameter of sealing area of drive flange and note size.
9a You may wish to take both the Flange & the Housing to your local oil seal supplier and get them to measure them for you
10 Purchase new LIP SEAL type oil seal

11 Tap new seal into position (Flat side downwards) lightly lubricating sealing lip of seal with oil first
12 Make and fit a new paper gasket
13 Reassemble complete and refill with oil

14 Refit prop shaft etc

I'm afraid that I do not have a part No for the oil seal at the moment, but as explained in note 9a, you should not have a problem getting one.

Note. On some models Daimler 15 Hp for instance, you may find that there is a small pin inserted into the Housing, this will need to be carefully removed prior to fitting the replacement Lip Seal.
Best wishes Alan