Please visit the Club's website https://www.dloc.org.uk/ to join. Visit https://www.dloc.org.uk/adhoc to DONATE towards the cost of the forum.
Please don't post someone's email address to avoid it being harvested by spambots and it's against GDPR regulations.
Always look at "ACTIVE TOPICS" to see all posts in date & time order as they are sometimes moved; or look at "Your Posts".
Please add Reg. nrs. when posting a photo or anything about a car as this will help searches. Don't add punctuation next to nr. as this negates search.
CHANGED YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS since registering?, click your username and check your address in User Control Panel, Profile, Account Settings.
If you want help to register, use "contact us" at page bottom for help.

EBAY listing - V8 with manual gearbox

Sonus

EBAY listing - V8 with manual gearbox

Post by Sonus »

Not mine, but someone on here might want it?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/DAIMLER-V8-F ... SwSutaM5Kd

A.N.Other
Wide Man
Wide Man

Re: EBAY listing - V8 with manual gearbox

Post by A.N.Other »

Looks like it may well be worth a bid.
Colin,
I may be slow but I’m rough as well !

Sydsmith
Extremely Wise Man
Extremely Wise Man

Post by Sydsmith »

Sold for £2551, is it me or is that a lot of money for it?

A.N.Other
Wide Man
Wide Man

Post by A.N.Other »

IMO it's not expensive.
Colin,
I may be slow but I’m rough as well !

Sonus

Post by Sonus »

Sydsmith wrote: Sat Dec 23, 2017 2:12 pm Sold for £2551, is it me or is that a lot of money for it?
I agree.
Engines seem to fetch approx £700-800 needing rebuild. I guess the most valuable item is the gearbox actually

simonp
Wise Man
Wise Man

Post by simonp »

Was the gearbox specific to the V8 saloon or was it used in other Jaguar Mk2s?

The SP gearbox shares some parts with a Triumph I believe but was unique to the SP.

SimonP
Daimler SP 250 - "To feel its eager response as you open up is to know a new motoring adventure"(Sales brochure) The adventure continues!

Sydsmith
Extremely Wise Man
Extremely Wise Man

Post by Sydsmith »

I may be wrong Simon, but as I understand it the V8 250 manual box is the same as a Jaguar MK2 but with a different bell housing to suit the V8 engine. Which makes it unique and perhaps explains the interest and price for this one.

I am not sure about the big bumper models, I gather there were very few manuals made and perhaps they had a different gearbox.

No doubt some one with better knowledge will tell us shortly.

I know that there is a premium value to manual cars and I understand that some would like to convert autos, certainly my manual V8 250 slightly out performs an auto, but I am not sure I would want to convert unless of course I was doing a major restoration. Syd

PhilD

Post by PhilD »

To add some further details to Syd's note.

The gearbox was the same as used on the Jag but as Syd stated the bell housing differed as did the clutch.

The final drive ratio of the manual car introduced in February 1967 was 4.55:1 whereas the auto was 4.27:1. However the early cars (from introduction to the end of 1965) also were fitted with 4.55:1 axles but these were changed as for the auto to reach it's claimed top speed it had to exceed the stated rev limit. these rations were used on the 2.4 Jaguar - 4.55 for manual OD cars only.

With an extra ratio the manual Daimlers were significantly faster. Autos were registered with 0-60mph at 13.6 seconds whereas the manual version was claimed at 9.8 seconds. This in effect put the Daimler manual close to the performance of the Jaguar 3.4 manual, which claimed a 0-60mph in 9.2 seconds.

Jaguars had an option of a close ratio box which was not available on the Daimler but the Thornton "Power-Lok" rear axle was also an option on the Daimler.

The ratios in the Daimler box are more aligned with those utilised in the 2.4 Jaguar as this used the same rear axle ratios whereas the 3.4 and 3.8 Jags utilised different ratios which suited the higher power outputs of these engines.

Hope this gives a little more background?

Cheers

Phil

Sydsmith
Extremely Wise Man
Extremely Wise Man

Post by Sydsmith »

Thanks Phil that fills in all the gaps, pardon the pun.

Great thing about the manual is the overdrive, which works on both third and top and gives a useful selection of gears, plus it also keeps the revs down on long runs on motorways. My car is comfortable in modern traffic even over the Welsh mountains.

I noticed this combination has overdrive, I did check with the vendor and although he sort of suggested in the heading it was an SP250 unit, it was of course the original from the saloon shown in the listing. It will of course fit the SP with some mods.