Please visit the Club's website https://www.dloc.org.uk/ to join. Visit https://www.dloc.org.uk/adhoc to DONATE towards the cost of the forum.
Please don't post someone's email address to avoid it being harvested by spambots and it's against GDPR regulations.
Always look at "ACTIVE TOPICS" to see all posts in date & time order as they are sometimes moved; or look at "Your Posts".
Please add Reg. nrs. when posting a photo or anything about a car as this will help searches. Don't add punctuation next to nr. as this negates search.
CHANGED YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS since registering?, click your username and check your address in User Control Panel, Profile, Account Settings.
If you want help to register, use "contact us" at page bottom for help.

3 in 1 jaeger instrument, ebay, possibly Lanchester ?

Simon Hyslop

3 in 1 jaeger instrument, ebay, possibly Lanchester ?

Post by Simon Hyslop »

Sorry if this is a red herring but I came across this on ebay :

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/vintage-car- ... SwMQhaeuJt

and I remembered a while ago discussion about these instruments.
I know ii's advertised as being an Austin one, but it's not. Austin only ever fitted the Smiths version from new and while it isn't impossible it came off a now broken up Austin, it wasn't in it when new ! By the way, it's sale has nothing to do with me, I'm just passing a cold afternoon browsing !

Sydsmith
Extremely Wise Man
Extremely Wise Man

Re: 3 in 1 jaeger instrument, ebay, possibly Lanchester ?

Post by Sydsmith »

I can see why he would think it was Austin Cambridge or Ascot, I have the exact item for a Cambridge and it looks very similar but as you say Simon, Austin only ever fitted Smiths originally.

What does surprise me is this chap is a well known 1930's breaker, he should know better.

Roark

Post by Roark »

The DE models have a similar Jaeger gauge but while the top instrument is Amperes the bottom left is Water and the bottom right is Petrol. I wonder if the gauge could be used anyway.
Personally I regard this man as a menace to classic cars. Either he is buying scrap cars and breaking them which might, just, be acceptable but if he is simply dismantling them to make as much money as possible, rather than restoring or selling them then that's not good at all.

theoldman
Extremely Wise Man
Extremely Wise Man

Post by theoldman »

Hate to rain on everyone's parade, but we have an identical instrument in our 1943 Austin lorry.
Neil
Normal for Norfolk

Peter Grant
Wise Man
Wise Man

Post by Peter Grant »

Hi Chaps,

The fuel gauge seems to read up to 7 gallons, so wouldn't that be too small for a Daimler anyway?

Also given that it has an oil pressure gauge, it wouldn't have been a standard Daimler fitting of that period, would it?

Cheers
Peter Grant

JT7196
Extremely Wise Man
Extremely Wise Man

Post by JT7196 »

Quite right Peter, my own thoughts exactly ! 😀😀

Cheers A’l 😀😀😀

Sydsmith
Extremely Wise Man
Extremely Wise Man

Post by Sydsmith »

It seems Smiths Industries acquired the rights to produce Jaeger instruments in 1927. They also purchased the company of KLG spark plugs the same year.

So this is in fact early badge engineering.

The Austin Cambridge cluster has the same instruments though in a different layout and the oil pressure gauge only goes to 40lb.

No doubt this is a cluster that could have been fitted in almost any car range form the late 1930's

Db n j
Wise Man
Wise Man

Post by Db n j »

perhaps it has been removed from the Daimler with the Charlesworth Body advertised by the same seller ??