Please visit the Club's website https://www.dloc.org.uk/ to join. Visit https://www.dloc.org.uk/adhoc to DONATE towards the cost of the forum.
Please don't post someone's email address to avoid it being harvested by spambots and it's against GDPR regulations.
Always look at "ACTIVE TOPICS" to see all posts in date & time order as they are sometimes moved; or look at "Your Posts".
Please add Reg. nrs. when posting a photo or anything about a car as this will help searches. Don't add punctuation next to nr. as this negates search.
CHANGED YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS since registering?, click your username and check your address in User Control Panel, Profile, Account Settings.
If you want help to register, use "contact us" at page bottom for help.

Sleeve valve engine on fleabay.

Sydsmith
Extremely Wise Man
Extremely Wise Man

Sleeve valve engine on fleabay.

Post by Sydsmith »

Stan Thomas
Wise Man
Wise Man

Re: Sleeve valve engine on fleabay.

Post by Stan Thomas »

Why would a "lengthy and costly" restoration not include the standard practice of remetalling the bearings, notwithstanding there is no mention in the ad regardiing the all-important factor of the condition of the sleeves ..................... and the engine then re-assembled??

Just a thought.

Sydsmith
Extremely Wise Man
Extremely Wise Man

Post by Sydsmith »

Thought that would stir a response from you Stan, as you say what about those valves, but I thought the price was fair given that finding another would not be easy and if you do have the car that it came out of, refitting it would surely enhance the value by more that £5k?.

You have to wonder what has happened to that 1925 car and what engine they fitted, wonder if its owner is in this club or the DEC?

Seems a real shame they engine and car cannot be reunited. Syd

Stan Thomas
Wise Man
Wise Man

Post by Stan Thomas »

Your right of course Syd.

Sadly far too many sleeve valve engines were "junked" years ago to fit leaping stick engines - but you have to bear in mind that old classic cars just did not command today's prices, so people just saw them as disposable cheap transport. (i.e. I paid £200 for my then totally mint Century with only 19k on the clock - but that was back in 1967!).