Please visit the Club's website https://www.dloc.org.uk/ to join. Visit https://www.dloc.org.uk/adhoc to DONATE towards the cost of the forum.
Please don't post someone's email address to avoid it being harvested by spambots and it's against GDPR regulations.
Always look at "ACTIVE TOPICS" to see all posts in date & time order as they are sometimes moved; or look at "Your Posts".
Please add Reg. nrs. when posting a photo or anything about a car as this will help searches. Don't add punctuation next to nr. as this negates search.
CHANGED YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS since registering?, click your username and check your address in User Control Panel, Profile, Account Settings.
If you want help to register, use "contact us" at page bottom for help.

AN ECKO VALVE RADIO, C.1950'S, REMOVED FROM A DAIMLER CONQUEST

grahamemmett
Chief Geek
Chief Geek

AN ECKO VALVE RADIO, C.1950'S, REMOVED FROM A DAIMLER CONQUEST

Post by grahamemmett »

Auction: 13 Mar 2021 12:00 GMT

SPICERS AUCTIONEERS LTD

+44 (0)1377 593593
http://www.spicersauctioneers.com/

An Ecko valve radio, c.1950's, removed from a Daimler Conquest Sport in 1965.
Radio.jpg
Graham Emmett ¦ DLOC Chairman ¦ chair@dloc.co.uk ¦ 07967 109160
Northwich, Cheshire
DB18 1949 LCV522 (Yes that one with the P100s)

New Dexter
Wise Man
Wise Man

Re: AN ECKO VALVE RADIO, C.1950'S, REMOVED FROM A DAIMLER CONQUEST

Post by New Dexter »

There's a chap who used to appear at the Classic car show who would be able to insert up-to-date modern wireless technology the original casing

Sydsmith
Extremely Wise Man
Extremely Wise Man

Post by Sydsmith »

Oh gosh Graham, I remember those new. When I was an apprentice, we repaired car radios for a local Austin dealer, they were terrible things to work on, amazing that it is still around. Being the junior engineer I always drew the short straw and got them to repair, they consumed a huge current and made a loud humming noise from the power pack which was fixed under the bonnet on rubber mounts. There must be better looking period radios available, but I bet it will still make £50-60. Syd

Brian-H
Very Wise Man
Very Wise Man

Post by Brian-H »

It wouldn't be too difficult to get it working in original condition, assuming that the "power pack" would still work - is it using a dc-dc dynamotor to get high voltage DC from the 12 V DC Syd ?

EDIT - I've got a 405-line Band I "TRF" (non superhet) TV that belonged to my grandfather, I used to wonder where to get an original dc-dc converter for it, idea being to put in the Consort (before 405-line broadcast ceased). Now I know but ~40 years too late.

Stan Thomas
Wise Man
Wise Man

Post by Stan Thomas »

I bet you could still get Tommy Handley on that set!

Who still remembers I.T.M.A, Variety Bandbox, Victor Sylvester and his Palm Court Orchestra, Workers' Playtime, Childrens Hour and Uncle Mac? They even had Peter Brough and Archie Andrews, a ventriloquist act ON THE RADIO!! So all together now:

We Three, in Happydrome,
Working for the B.B.C.
Ramsbottom, and Enoch, and Me!

grahamemmett
Chief Geek
Chief Geek

Post by grahamemmett »

or still my favourite - Round the Horn

They wouldn't be able to broadcast it today!
Northwich, Cheshire

AntonyB

Post by AntonyB »

Hello Graham, just for interest they do in fact broadcast Round the Horne these days, Series 1, Episode 9 (of 16) was on today, at 8.00am, mid-day and 7-7.30 this evening. Radio 4 Extra.

Their comedy hour is 8-9am, each day (and repeated as above) and looks like Round the Horne is on the schedule for Thursdays, they tend to be older series, its Series 1 of Dad's Army tomorrow, and Steptoe and Son on Monday etc.

Antony

grahamemmett
Chief Geek
Chief Geek

Post by grahamemmett »

Thanks Antony. I dint think I’ve ever listened to Radio 4 Extra but I will now :D
Northwich, Cheshire

AntonyB

Post by AntonyB »

No problem Graham, I did just check the schedules to make sure I was right, and Round the Horne Series 1 Episode 10, is on this coming Thursday at 8.00am, then repeated at 12.00 and 19.00 - enjoy.

I must admit that I find myself listening to Radio 4 Extra quite a lot, makes a change from 'Royal' news etc., TV repeats and 'celebrity' (with few people I recognise) programmes, the crime series are quite good at times, with Agatha Christie etc. I have been listening to a Paul Temple series at the moment.

Anyway I hope you enjoy Radio 4 Extra - I should say I have no connections with the service😁

Antony

Brian-H
Very Wise Man
Very Wise Man

Post by Brian-H »

The other thing that that particular valve radio might require, is a rather large antenna (aka "aerial"). I've seen one car of the era fitted with a large loop (well, U-shaped) antenna underneath the car, the reason being that the sensitivity of the receiver on that particular car didn't go low enough to pick up anything but the strong signals of the era, and AFAIK the signal levels that are broadcast from transmitters today are lower because modern radios have far lower sensitivity.