Please visit the Club's website https://www.dloc.org.uk/ to join. Visit https://www.dloc.org.uk/adhoc to DONATE towards the cost of the forum.
Please don't post someone's email address to avoid it being harvested by spambots and it's against GDPR regulations.
Always look at "ACTIVE TOPICS" to see all posts in date & time order as they are sometimes moved; or look at "Your Posts".
Please add Reg. nrs. when posting a photo or anything about a car as this will help searches. Don't add punctuation next to nr. as this negates search.
CHANGED YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS since registering?, click your username and check your address in User Control Panel, Profile, Account Settings.
If you want help to register, use "contact us" at page bottom for help.

CHU 105

Mr Gas it

CHU 105

Post by Mr Gas it »

WHERE IS IT NOW

Back in the day, when I was still at infant/junior school my Father finally transitioned from a 600 Panther with double Watsonian sidecar (& towbar) as a means of transporting the family around (4 kids and Parents) to four wheels instead of three. I recall the mounting excitement when we were informed that Dad would be arriving home in a car one Saturday in about 1952/3. The four children set off eagerly when his arrival was imminent, walking towards Worcester to meet him. Well, meet him we did, after we had walked about three miles and were passing Leigh Church, we struggled up the short steep hill only to spot Dad walking down it towards us... Horace (as the car became known) had broken down en route to his new home, Oh the disappointment of having to trundle all the way home on foot! Dad picked up whatever he needed and went back towards Worcester to rectify the problem and eventually Horace made an appearance! He was a 1935 Lanchester 10, and behaved impeccably for the rest of the time he was with us. Fluid flywheel, epicyclic gearbox (Wilson?) and no water pump, relying on thermo syphoning to create a passage of water around the engine and rad. The next car we had was a Lanchester 6/12 and I well remember the radiator badge being a 6 and a 12 intertwined. I seem to remember being told that Lanchester were the first English car manufacturer to employ metric threads, commencing this practice in the thities. When Dad accumulated sufficient readies this car was stored in our back garden and a 1950 Vanguard became the conveyance of choice, I remember filling up at Dysons garage, Bransford and asking Dad what we would we would call the latest car and he reponded, with a rueful look at the receipt, Gutsy! The original idea had been to renovate the 6/12 and Dad fibre glassed the roof which was in poor condition, and we also relined the brakes, but, as is often the case, progress slowed and finally halted and eventually someone from Halesowen bought the car. Is it still running would be my question?

John-B
Site Admin

Re: CHU 105

Post by John-B »

https://www.vehicleenquiry.service.gov.uk/
Details of the vehicle being checked

Vehicle details could not be found

Vehicle details could not be found as it has not been possible to locate the vehicle details, your enquiry cannot proceed and has been cancelled. If you want to check the vehicle record held by DVLA...

Please contact vehicle enquiries:
• Phone:
0300 790 6802

Phillmore
Wise Man
Wise Man

Post by Phillmore »

This is an interesting post as I also live about three miles from Leigh Church and pass it most mornings on the way to Worcester. Where did you live Mr Gas It and are you still local? Was your school at Alfrick or Suckley by any chance?
Andy

1954 Conquest Mk1, 1956 Conquest Mk2, 1957 Conquest Century Mk2, 1955 Austin A90 Westminster

Mr Gas it

Post by Mr Gas it »

EDUCATIONAL POST

Originally I attended Knightwick school as \I was born in Suckley, can't imagine a group of five year olds walking about three miles to and from school every day as we did (mainly unaccompanied) but we then moved to Alfrick where the school literally over the road!

Phillmore
Wise Man
Wise Man

Post by Phillmore »

Thought so, I live in alfrick just a hundred yards from the school down folly road. Did you live at the Old Forge?
Andy

1954 Conquest Mk1, 1956 Conquest Mk2, 1957 Conquest Century Mk2, 1955 Austin A90 Westminster

Mr Gas it

Post by Mr Gas it »

ROSE TINTED VIEWS

No, we lived on what became known as the ring, we were the first occupants of a new council house build in 1950.
When Gas it junior comes over I will get him to put a picture of this car on the forum. Strangely, after the Vanguard Dad bought an Austin Westminster A99, lovely comfortable car, three gears, column change, leather seats etc... and phenominally over servo'd brakes! Still got the genuine workshop manual (Its pink). There is an abundance of oily thumb prints on the pages.

I often rode down Green st up until last year whilst green laning on my motorbike. In my day there were no houses down there from the blacksmiths to Clay Green farm where the Alfrick boy scouts used to meet, courtesy of Arthur Thomas, who owned the farm. There were no houses on the left hand side until the Vicarage... Come to think, there were no houses opposite the church, it was orchards, no houses from the blacksmiths until you reached the Swan which had a wooden butchers shop adjacent to it. Happy days.

One thing I do remember was Gerald Nabarro attending a (political?) meeting in the village hall in a white Daimler. It was, of course, a new one.

Phillmore
Wise Man
Wise Man

Post by Phillmore »

That's interesting. We moved into one of the houses on the left hand side about twenty five years ago (built in 1969).When we moved in Arthur still lived in the farm (he died some years ago now). There is now a planning application to build over twenty houses on the Clay Green Farm site!! Do you have any photos of Alfrick in those days before the developers moved in? Are you still local to the area?
Andy

Mr Gas it

Post by Mr Gas it »

LATE LIFE CRISIS

I may well have some photagraphs of Alfrick in the sixties, I will have a look over the weekend, I definitely have one of myself on my B31 motorbike on the green with the main road in the back ground and there are douibtless more.

iI have just purchased another identical bike, even the same colour although my latest acquisition is circa 1955 whereas the one I owned fifty odd years ago was a fifty nine.

How often do you give your motors a run?

Bill.

Phillmore
Wise Man
Wise Man

Post by Phillmore »

I have only recently bought the Daimlers after having owned one about twenty years ago and hope to get at least one of them on the road within the month. I have used the A90 quite a bit though. I have only recently sold a few old motorbikes - a Royal Enfield, BSA Bantam and a couple of LE Velos. I used to have quite a few but am more interested in classic cars now. I still have a DMW Deemster and an early Hinkley Triumph Trident. Photos of Alfrick in the sixties would be very interesting.
Andy

mjlong

Post by mjlong »

I do not agree with the idea that Lanchester was the first British car manufacturer to use metric threads. I believe that this 'honour' belongs to William Morris, later Lord Nuffield.

At the outbreak of the First World War, Hotchkiss et Cie, makers of the famous Hotchkiss machine gun, moved its factory from France to England, bringing the metric tooling. In the early 1920s, Morris contracted Hotchkiss et Cie to make engines for his cars. He later bought the company and it became Morris Motors, part of his Nuffield organisation.

Hotchkiss and subsequently Morris Motors built the engines using its tooling for French metric threads, which mostly became the ISO metric threads in almost universal use, at least in Europe, today. I have a 1952 MG YB, the engine in which is a development of an old Morris unit, dating from the late 1920s. All of the engine threads are metric. This makes replacement bolts and studs easy to obtain, except for a few sizes that do not form part of the current ISO system. The engine, with its metric threads remained in production until 1954.

Mike