Forum registration by new users: Guests should use the Register button top right but if you have difficulty Email mail @ chalkevalley.info (delete spaces).
If you would like to join the DLOC, please visit the Club's website https://www.dloc.org.uk/
Please don't post someone's email address. Some people don't want to risk it being harvested by spambots and GDPR regulations discourage it.
Always look at "ACTIVE TOPICS" which gives all posts in date & time order if you can't find a post or "Your Posts", as topics are sometimes moved.
Reg. nrs. Please add reg. nr. when posting a photo or anything about a car as this will help searches. Don't add punctuation next to nr. as this negates search.

Pre-Jaguar post-war Daimlers

Barrie
Posts: 136
Joined: Mon Feb 29, 2016 11:50 pm
Location: Sydenham Hill SE London

Pre-Jaguar post-war Daimlers

Post by Barrie » Thu Nov 21, 2019 5:51 pm

re posted from the Hooper thread:
grahamemmett wrote:
Wed Nov 20, 2019 11:56 pm
My goodness there’s a book in here. Get your heads together, find an editor and publish!
Nice idea Graham but sounds like too much hard work which has largely been covered by Brian Smith.
However I do have a large collection of photos of pre-Jaguar post-war Daimlers that would be nice to share on some sort of index on the Forum.
It would have the advantage over published material of immediacy and immediate posting of newly discovered or unpublished photos. Perhaps others would like to join in?
Here’s my first entry and I’ll try to put others which I’ve previously posted so that it’s a single thread for browsing for those who are interested.
img006.jpg
img008 - Copy.jpg
img007.jpg
img008.jpg
DB18 Hooper DHC at 1973 National Rally when owned by Alec Norman. I hope it is still as lovely today.

classiclife
Posts: 485
Joined: Wed Sep 05, 2018 9:55 am
Location: Ridgewood - East Sussex
Contact:

Re: Pre-Jaguar post-war Daimlers

Post by classiclife » Thu Nov 21, 2019 6:02 pm

The car is certainly alive and kicking, with an MOT issued in June 2019 with no advisories.

Has only covered about 2000miles in the last thirteen years.
1968 Daimler V8-250 Saloon
DLOC East Sussex Area Representative.

Southern Classics Society Events Co-ordinator.
www.southernclassics.org.uk

Barrie
Posts: 136
Joined: Mon Feb 29, 2016 11:50 pm
Location: Sydenham Hill SE London

Re: Pre-Jaguar post-war Daimlers

Post by Barrie » Thu Nov 21, 2019 6:44 pm

classiclife wrote:
Thu Nov 21, 2019 6:02 pm

Has only covered about 2000miles in the last thirteen years.
That is so sad!

Appleyard DB18 Special Sports. Interesting to think that when the picture was taken it was only 20 years old or so.
Image (6).jpg
Appleyard Barker FHC 1973.jpg

classiclife
Posts: 485
Joined: Wed Sep 05, 2018 9:55 am
Location: Ridgewood - East Sussex
Contact:

Re: Pre-Jaguar post-war Daimlers

Post by classiclife » Thu Nov 21, 2019 6:56 pm

Not looking so good for this car, sadly - no document updates since 2005 when a new V5C was issued.

No SORN / Tax / MOT.

Hopefully it is still about, under a cover in a decent garage.
1968 Daimler V8-250 Saloon
DLOC East Sussex Area Representative.

Southern Classics Society Events Co-ordinator.
www.southernclassics.org.uk

User avatar
John-B
Site Admin
Posts: 1232
Joined: Tue Feb 09, 2016 9:10 pm
Location: Salisbury, UK
Contact:

Re: Pre-Jaguar post-war Daimlers

Post by John-B » Thu Nov 21, 2019 7:36 pm

Barrie wrote:
Thu Nov 21, 2019 5:51 pm
However I do have a large collection of photos of pre-Jaguar post-war Daimlers that would be nice to share on some sort of index on the Forum.
It would have the advantage over published material of immediacy and immediate posting of newly discovered or unpublished photos. Perhaps others would like to join in?
Just carry on posting photos on either topic. There are limits to presentation on a forum, it has to be a sequence of posts rather than a display as you could do on a website.
To save space on the database, please keep the image sizes to less than 300KB and about 1024 x 768, as you generally have done so far. Images on the internet don't have to be any bigger than this.

grahamemmett
Posts: 686
Joined: Mon Feb 08, 2016 8:12 pm
Location: Northwich, Cheshire
Contact:

Re: Pre-Jaguar post-war Daimlers

Post by grahamemmett » Thu Nov 21, 2019 8:18 pm

Barrie wrote:
Thu Nov 21, 2019 5:51 pm
However, I do have a large collection of photos of pre-Jaguar post-war Daimlers that would be nice to share on some sort of index on the Forum.
It would have the advantage over published material of immediacy and immediate posting of newly discovered or unpublished photos. Perhaps others would like to join in?
Hi Barry
The forum is not really the most appropriate place but I'd happily give you a photo gallery and one or more pages of text on the website - then many more people will be able to see and enjoy it. https://www.dloc.org.uk/
I am seeking more contributions and so far very few Registars have contributed anything. The forum could have an entry with a link to the website pages.
Please drop me an e-mail at IT@dloc.co.uk and we can discuss how it might look.
Graham Emmett
Northwich, Cheshire
Joint DB18 Registrar (with Marcel Renshaw)
DB18 1949 LCV522 (Yes that one with the P100s)
https://www.db18.org

Barrie
Posts: 136
Joined: Mon Feb 29, 2016 11:50 pm
Location: Sydenham Hill SE London

Re: Pre-Jaguar post-war Daimlers

Post by Barrie » Fri Nov 22, 2019 10:46 am

John-B wrote:
Thu Nov 21, 2019 7:36 pm
Barrie wrote:
Thu Nov 21, 2019 5:51 pm
However I do have a large collection of photos of pre-Jaguar post-war Daimlers that would be nice to share on some sort of index on the Forum.
It would have the advantage over published material of immediacy and immediate posting of newly discovered or unpublished photos. Perhaps others would like to join in?
Just carry on posting photos on either topic. There are limits to presentation on a forum, it has to be a sequence of posts rather than a display as you could do on a website.
To save space on the database, please keep the image sizes to less than 300KB and about 1024 x 768, as you generally have done so far. Images on the internet don't have to be any bigger than this.
All noted John and thank you for your encouragement and advice all noted. Hopefully others will join in.
grahamemmett wrote:
Thu Nov 21, 2019 8:18 pm
Barrie wrote:
Thu Nov 21, 2019 5:51 pm
However, I do have a large collection of photos of pre-Jaguar post-war Daimlers that would be nice to share on some sort of index on the Forum.
It would have the advantage over published material of immediacy and immediate posting of newly discovered or unpublished photos. Perhaps others would like to join in?
Hi Barry
The forum is not really the most appropriate place but I'd happily give you a photo gallery and one or more pages of text on the website - then many more people will be able to see and enjoy it. https://www.dloc.org.uk/
I am seeking more contributions and so far very few Registars have contributed anything. The forum could have an entry with a link to the website pages.
Please drop me an e-mail at IT@dloc.co.uk and we can discuss how it might look.
Thank you too Graham but if you don’t mind I’d prefer to carry on with the Forum because, as I say, I like its immediacy and there will hopefully be the odd anecdote to put the pictures in context.
I had a look at the site and it is a bit empty and hopefully bringing it to everyone’s attention again here will prompt rummaging through old albums and some stock for you.
Please feel free to copy anything I post and put it in the Club site.
Best wishes to both, Barrie

User avatar
John-B
Site Admin
Posts: 1232
Joined: Tue Feb 09, 2016 9:10 pm
Location: Salisbury, UK
Contact:

Re: Pre-Jaguar post-war Daimlers

Post by John-B » Fri Nov 22, 2019 11:46 am

In this forum, with most photos you can get a sliding gallery effect by clicking to enlarge a photo and then use the left or right arrows to see the next one.

I may use the photos to create a few headers for the forum if that's OK. I have about 40 headers each with about six photos (any more than six and the header takes too long to load).

Barrie
Posts: 136
Joined: Mon Feb 29, 2016 11:50 pm
Location: Sydenham Hill SE London

Re: Pre-Jaguar post-war Daimlers

Post by Barrie » Fri Nov 22, 2019 6:03 pm

John-B wrote:
Fri Nov 22, 2019 11:46 am
In this forum, with most photos you can get a sliding gallery effect by clicking to enlarge a photo and then use the left or right arrows to see the next one.
Well, as I live and breathe - I never knew that - either enlarging or the slide show! Clever!
Please feel free to use any of my photos John. (And anyone else too)

Now that I’m looking through my collection I’ve managed to put together a small story in pictures about a single car. Probably 15 years ago I was researching Daimlers and came across this,
1.jpg
one of the two 3 litre 2 door coupes bodied by Hooper and thought what a cracking car it was. I had no way of contacting the owner and, to be truthful, probably too much of a handful for me to restore. I believe the car was eventually bought by John Ridley. See next post.
Attachments
4.jpg
3.jpg
2.jpg

Barrie
Posts: 136
Joined: Mon Feb 29, 2016 11:50 pm
Location: Sydenham Hill SE London

Re: Pre-Jaguar post-war Daimlers

Post by Barrie » Fri Nov 22, 2019 6:05 pm

After some years, I forget how it happened but, I went to see the car whilst John was having it restored as he was considering bailing out early and this is what I saw. Because of the uncertain costs of completing the restoration I didn’t buy it but as I was driving home started to regret it
40.jpg
40.jpg (40.03 KiB) Viewed 423 times
12.jpg
12.jpg (39.1 KiB) Viewed 423 times
11.jpg
11.jpg (38.83 KiB) Viewed 423 times
See next post

Post Reply