Please visit the Club's website https://www.dloc.org.uk/ to join. Visit https://www.dloc.org.uk/adhoc to DONATE towards the cost of the forum.
Please don't post someone's email address to avoid it being harvested by spambots and it's against GDPR regulations.
Always look at "ACTIVE TOPICS" to see all posts in date & time order as they are sometimes moved; or look at "Your Posts".
Please add Reg. nrs. when posting a photo or anything about a car as this will help searches. Don't add punctuation next to nr. as this negates search.
CHANGED YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS since registering?, click your username and check your address in User Control Panel, Profile, Account Settings.
If you want help to register, use "contact us" at page bottom for help.

104 Lady's Model - Zimbabwe

Car histories: owners, dates, etc. restorations, events visited, holidays, stories about the car, etc. plus statistics like numbers and models produced.
TonyZim

104 Lady's Model - Zimbabwe

Post by TonyZim »

I have not posted a picture of my car previously.

It's one of two imported into this country in early 1958.

All numbers match with those held by the Model Registrar, Chris Wiltshire.

It starts runs and stops, but needs a windscreen.

The car is mentioned by chassis number on page 816 of Daimler Days.

Having lived in a dry climate all of its life it is relatively rot free. The floors of cabin and boot are unpatched and sound.

The car has received much refurbishment to engine, gearbox, brakes, steering from previous keepers.

My next task will be paint, source missing gauges and interior woodwork, and then to enjoy.

I would like to be in contact with owners of other 104's.

Regards
Attachments
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (475.2 KiB) Viewed 3688 times
Tony

1958 104 Lady's Model

John-B
Site Admin

Re: 104 Lady's Model - Zimbabwe

Post by John-B »

That's a very dangerous subject title to use! When I saw that a topic with Ladies Model was subject to approval I very nearly deleted it! I was expecting to see pretty young ladies, but a nice 104 will do.

sherlock

Post by sherlock »

Nice car, Tony. Good luck for the restoration.
John-B wrote:That's a very dangerous subject title to use! When I saw that a topic with Ladies Model was subject to approval I very nearly deleted it! I was expecting to see pretty young ladies, but a nice 104 will do.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
I am a froggy, nobody is perfect

1934 BSA three wheeler - 1968 Daimler 250 V8 - 1993 Daimler XJ40 Majestic LWB

Chris_R
Wise Man
Wise Man

Post by Chris_R »

Well John, in another post you did ask people to state the model in the subject title. Tony was only doing as you requested!

TonyZim

Post by TonyZim »

Here is a link to the video of the car's maiden voyage. I am sure it is 10 to 15 years since the car last turned a wheel under its own steam.

I have learnt that previous keepers have:
- overhauled the engine,
- overhauled the automatic (not preselect) gearbox: standard for this chassis number per registrar and Daimler Days
- refurbished the chassis and steering (apparently after removing body from chassis, but this is still to be verified)
- overhauled the brakes,
- re-wired the car to a high standard,
- reupholstered the seats and door cards, to a high standard, but in vinyl instead of leather,
- lost the windscreen.

Much to do, but on a sound structure.

It started, drove and stopped. I gave the trainee who put time and effort into getting her started the honor of the first drive, and am yet to do so myself. Note to self, get busy.
Tony

1958 104 Lady's Model

Noelex

Post by Noelex »

Hi I restored a 104 some years ago. A nice car to drive although cooling is an ongoing issue especially around no. 6 CYLINDER I had a thicker radiator core installed the real issue is the water flow through the head. Anti corrosion is critical. Very useable car.

TonyZim

Post by TonyZim »

Thanks for the feedback.

I will keep the forum posted as progress (slow) is made.

As an aside, I see that there is a flaw in my original title for this thread. It is a Lady's, not a Ladies, Model.

Regards

I've edited the title; you can do it for your own posts but I have to do it for the others. John-B
Last edited by John-B on Mon Jul 18, 2016 7:51 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic title edited
Tony

1958 104 Lady's Model