Please visit the Club's website https://www.dloc.org.uk/ to join. Visit https://www.dloc.org.uk/adhoc to DONATE towards the cost of the forum.
Please don't post someone's email address to avoid it being harvested by spambots and it's against GDPR regulations.
Always look at "ACTIVE TOPICS" to see all posts in date & time order as they are sometimes moved; or look at "Your Posts".
Please add Reg. nrs. when posting a photo or anything about a car as this will help searches. Don't add punctuation next to nr. as this negates search.
CHANGED YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS since registering?, click your username and check your address in User Control Panel, Profile, Account Settings.
If you want help to register, use "contact us" at page bottom for help.

Registration number archives

Car histories: owners, dates, etc. restorations, events visited, holidays, stories about the car, etc. plus statistics like numbers and models produced.
Db n j
Wise Man
Wise Man

Registration number archives

Post by Db n j »

Hi, does anyone know about availability of historical records, useful websites etc ?

We are looking for the history of our db18 ss. (No logbook, and a 1964 Essex number plate)

The current target is 1949, Leeds
(Appleyards who added the roof were in Leeds, Special Sports production started about that time and our car has body 23)

Any help welcome, thanks

Norfolk Lad
Wise Man
Wise Man

Re: Registration number archives

Post by Norfolk Lad »

Just wonder if the Essex plate was put on to remove the original would Registration cards show this, take it you are trying to trace its first reg number.
Would Gaydon hold any build records which sometimes has more but would say when it left the factory, i wish you luck think you will need it sad to say.

Peter

clevitt

Post by clevitt »

Hi David,
Firstly, how is your own restoration going?
My experience with the JDHT is that, in exchange for a fee, they should be able to supply a date that your chassis number left the factory,
and possibly the dealer to whom it was consigned. That seems to be the price that the club paid when handing over their records;
although the records are now in professional hands and kept under controlled conditions.
I am intrigued about the commercial relationship between Daimler and Appleyard; were Appleyard the Daimler Agent for the Leeds area?
Did they offer a FHC conversion for their own customers or possibly for customers of other Daimler Agents?
I believe that only there were only 5 Fixed Head conversions of the Barker Special Sports and only two survive: David Beales' and your own?
I assume that you have exhausted David Beales and Kevin Bennett as possible sources of information?
I wonder what happened to the old county motor registration data; was it transferred to Swansea when the DVLA came in existence?
Chris

Norfolk Lad
Wise Man
Wise Man

Post by Norfolk Lad »

Leeds car registration cards are held here

LEEDS
West Yorkshire Archive Service, 127 Kirkgate, Wakefield, WF1 1JG (01924 782030) Email: archives@wyjs.org.uk
Open 9.30am to 5pm MTuThF, also on 2nd Sats only 9.30am – 5pm.
Cancellation registers for U, UB, UG. Registers for FNW-FUM, HNW-YUM; 1 U to 999 KUM. Card index U to YUM; reverse U to LUM

Norfolk Lad
Wise Man
Wise Man

Post by Norfolk Lad »

https://www.oldclassiccar.co.uk/registrations/um.htm

This will help as can give a rough year date for 3 letters so shorten your search.

Peter

so JUM or Kum look to be a good start you will need to work out all the others like UA / UB etc

shown on oldclassiccar
Last edited by Norfolk Lad on Thu Jan 02, 2020 8:16 am, edited 1 time in total.

Salmons
Helpful Person
Helpful Person

Post by Salmons »

To the best of my knowledge all County Vehicle Registration Records were retained by the County Record Office in each County.

Dennis

Norfolk Lad
Wise Man
Wise Man

Post by Norfolk Lad »

Dennis yes for most but some are lost they were not saved when it came out of the county control, guess some registration cards went in the bin.

Peter

http://kitheadtrust.org.uk/england-wales

ranald
Helpful Person
Helpful Person

Post by ranald »

Hi, Some may have been destroyed but Kithead Trust have many records declined by local authority related archive services and police forces after computerisation in 1977/8. http://kitheadtrust.org.uk/motor-vehicle-records
Happy New Year, Ranald

Simon Hyslop

Post by Simon Hyslop »

There was a book published about 1992 by a chap called Phillip Riden called something like "How to trace the history of your car." I remember trying to find the supposedly surviving but so far unfound Wigtownshire Council registration records for him. Anyway, copies of it seem to be extortionately priced now but I would have thought some libraries may have a copy or could get a copy through an inter library loan.
IIRC, the author had gone to decent lengths to verify that the registration records listed as surviving actually did exist( eg not just an empty ledger cover on a shelf) and were accessible to interested parties.
It can be surprising how many people in an area still remember cars and numbers from their youth in a locality and maybe a picture of the car with a letter to a local paper or to a local vintage car club may produce some information. On the other hand, I am sorry to say that I have found that if a number has been taken off for sale, particularly in relatively recent times, a trail can go cold because the number robber has made it so.

JohnRidley

Post by JohnRidley »

I consult Philip Riden's book frequently when helping out with re-registrations. I bought mine direct from Philip when the updated edition came out in 1998 as he was a DLOC member and drove a V8 Saloon. It contains a contemporary list of destroyed/surviving records, which I can look up for you if requested. You are right they want silly money (almost £50) now although if you can find a copy at around £10, it may be a small but is really packed with info. and well worth acquiring. JohnR