Please visit the Club's website https://www.dloc.org.uk/ to join. Visit https://www.dloc.org.uk/adhoc to DONATE towards the cost of the forum.
Please don't post someone's email address to avoid it being harvested by spambots and it's against GDPR regulations.
Always look at "ACTIVE TOPICS" to see all posts in date & time order as they are sometimes moved; or look at "Your Posts".
Please add Reg. nrs. when posting a photo or anything about a car as this will help searches. Don't add punctuation next to nr. as this negates search.
CHANGED YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS since registering?, click your username and check your address in User Control Panel, Profile, Account Settings.
If you want help to register, use "contact us" at page bottom for help.

Conquest Century (Drop Head) Coupe, BSL 537

Car histories: owners, dates, etc. restorations, events visited, holidays, stories about the car, etc. plus statistics like numbers and models produced.
HenryC
Helpful Person
Helpful Person

Conquest Century (Drop Head) Coupe, BSL 537

Post by HenryC »

Hello,

After some negotiation, I have bought and finally collected the DJ252, saloon based, drop head coupe that was advertised a couple of months ago, BSL 537.

It was refurbished / restored in Australia 20 - 30 years ago (to the best of my knowledge) and now requires some further work and some parts (mostly standard Century bits) but I will also need some advice, so it would really good to make contact with other DJ252 owners or experts.

I will post some photos and more specific questions over the coming weeks, and some requests for parts.

I fear I will have to sell the Mk 2 Century Saloon, so if anyone is interested in a reliable, unrestored, original Conquest let me know, (It's covered 1200 miles in June without missing a beat, mostly in Cornwall at the International Rally).

Look forward to hearing from you!
Cheers, Henry Curwen
Registrar for Conquest & Century Saloons (DJ250/1, DJ256/7, DJ260/1)

Conquest (Drop Head) Coupe DJ252

Fossil
Wise Man
Wise Man

Re: Conquest Century (Drop Head) Coupe, BSL 537

Post by Fossil »

Henry

Hearty congratulations; I'm envious.

The gentleman you should contact is Dave Tomkiss, the current DLOC DJ252 Registrar, whose details are in the Driving Member on the Club Officers page. He is a keen, knowledgeable, very obliging and pleasant guy and a DJ model owner and enthusiast for many years.

Regards

Geoff

Bonzodog

Post by Bonzodog »

Yes, congratulations Henry

In answer to your e-mailed question, I obtained my exhaust system (mild steel) from John Nash / Daimler Enthusiasts Club. Not only did it fit very precisely but the welding was almost the neatest I have ever seen.

How much are you looking for for the Conquest saloon? I don't need another one but you never know...?

HenryC
Helpful Person
Helpful Person

Post by HenryC »

Thank you,

I have been in touch with John Nash who is going to see if he has one.

Regarding the price on the Century Saloon - I haven't decided yet but when I do I will be advertising on this forum first.
Cheers, Henry Curwen
Registrar for Conquest & Century Saloons (DJ250/1, DJ256/7, DJ260/1)

Conquest (Drop Head) Coupe DJ252

Fossil
Wise Man
Wise Man

Post by Fossil »

Henry

If you want to consider a stainless steel exhaust for such a splendid machine I'd recommend P D Gough who supplied mine 20 years ago. They have a pattern, obviously a good one because it fitted perfectly first time. They incorporated a couple of requests including an extended tailpipe to fit the lengthened chassis of the Dauphin. The quality of their workmanship is excellent.

I've also fitted an extra bracket for the downpipe which comprises a U bolt attached to a plate bolted across the bottom two bellhousing bolts; I decided to do this after the rear exhaust manifold developed a small crack between its front and rear branches, fortunately I had a spare engine which donated a good used replacement. I don't attribute this to the stainless system in any way because there was no tension or poor fit when the downpipe was fitted, more likely it was possibly related to the car's high mileage.

Cheers

Geoff