Empress 2 for Sale

Peter Grant

Re: Empress 2 for Sale

Post by Peter Grant » Thu May 18, 2017 3:55 am

Hi Barrie,

From my reading I think that the 4.5 litre engine was just too much for the preselect gearbox on the Sportsman Saloon.
They did use it on the DK 400 but not with the overdrive so maybe that was why that was more successful.

Cheers
Peter Grant

Crossley Stephenson

Post by Crossley Stephenson » Thu May 18, 2017 8:29 am

A few years ago one of our members built up a 'special' based on a slightly shortened Conquest chassis and he used a 4.2 Jaguar engine. I had a ride and can attest that it went very quickly even making the tyres 'chirp' at every gear change. He sold it and it appears to have dropped off the radar.

Michael

AntonyB

Post by AntonyB » Fri Dec 15, 2017 7:44 pm

Listed for sale again on Car&Classic website, https://www.carandclassic.co.uk/car/C930794 , but with a price drop from £25,000 to £14,850.

Antony

simonp

Post by simonp » Fri Dec 15, 2017 8:28 pm

I should ask whether the original engine is available to be refitted. This would at least add some value to the project. The overdrive gearboxes I know are quite rare.

I guess some wedding companies aren't really fussed about what engines are under the bonnet.

SimonP
Daimler SP 250 - "To feel its eager response as you open up is to know a new motoring adventure"(Sales brochure) The adventure continues!

Sydsmith

Post by Sydsmith » Sat Dec 16, 2017 9:55 am

I agree completely with the sentiment expressed here regarding this type of conversion.

I too cannot see the logic in that changing an engine is acceptable but an age related number is not.

I know which I would prefer, a Hooper Empress in such good condition as this one appears with the original engine and age related number would appeal to me much more than a car with such an unsuitable engine conversion.

Our friend who joined this forum for a short while with the white 15 with an MG engine and gearbox, appears to have found out that a conversion like that does not sell. He was very cocky about the advantage of the conversion on the forum, but has been touting the car about on fleabay and Classic Cars for sale web sites for almost a year without success.

I cannot think of anything I would rather not own than a 1935 15 with a BMC "B" series engine and gearbox. (Unless of course I had the correct engine and gearbox ready to fit.

I have to put my hand up to owning a 1937 15 Sports Saloon with an age related number I bought for a fraction of it's value with the original number.

I do appreciate that in this country the market value of a two letter four number plates, often makes the number plate worth more than the car. Syd