Please visit the Club's website https://www.dloc.org.uk/ to join. Visit https://www.dloc.org.uk/adhoc to DONATE towards the cost of the forum.
Please don't post someone's email address to avoid it being harvested by spambots and it's against GDPR regulations.
Always look at "ACTIVE TOPICS" to see all posts in date & time order as they are sometimes moved; or look at "Your Posts".
Please add Reg. nrs. when posting a photo or anything about a car as this will help searches. Don't add punctuation next to nr. as this negates search.
CHANGED YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS since registering?, click your username and check your address in User Control Panel, Profile, Account Settings.
If you want help to register, use "contact us" at page bottom for help.

Daimler Sportsman for Sale

Barrie

Re: Daimler Sportsman for Sale

Post by Barrie »

Chris, are you the Chris_R who haunts the Jensen Forum, well so do I.
I was pleased to see the owner got a very good price and wish the new owner much success in dealing with all the work that needs to be done. I would have like the car as an alternative to an S1Bentley which has a 154 bhp engine as opposed to the Sportsman's 167 with a lighter body to carry. It could have been quite a mover but needed £60k spent on it to do a proper job. I'd be interested to see condition and the bills car in two years time. Ideal project for a chap with skills to do the work himself. I think the problem with the gearbox was that too many drivers allowed the car to be driven too long in overdrive even at quite low speeds. The fluid flywheel would have been able to carry off this feat but put too much strain on the gearbox which would go bang undor this treatment I suspect the that the owner of this car was instructed to get up to speed in 3rd and then use overdrive for cruising, hence it retained hid original engine.
Attachments
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

Barrie

Post by Barrie »

image.jpeg
Attachments
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

simonp
Wise Man
Wise Man

Post by simonp »

Hoping it surfaces again. Ir would be interesting to learn its history.

SimonP
Daimler SP 250 - "To feel its eager response as you open up is to know a new motoring adventure"(Sales brochure) The adventure continues!

Chris_R
Wise Man
Wise Man

Post by Chris_R »

Hi Barrie, yes, 'tis I. Best regards to you and happy Christmas, Chris.

Barrie

Post by Barrie »

:D
Barrie

Marcus

Post by Marcus »

Gentlemen,

The mystery buyer of the DF 400 4 Light Saloon is my good self. I contacted the vendor much earlier this year when I found it for sale on a classic car website at a much higher price. I did drop the vendor a message but did not receive a reply. A friend alerted me to its inclusion in the Barons auction. I had been looking for a Sportsman for a long time, ever since I found one in a barn in mid Wales owned by a farmer called Danny Lloyd. Gold, with the metal juke box dash. I didn't buy that car, much to my regret. It is so long ago I cannot remember why. Wonder what happened to it - might still be there!
I don't mind patina - i like the idea of being able to use the car without fear of stone chips. So the plan for this will be to address any safety issues, make it reliable and worry about the rest later. It will have a nice dry home in my Daimler motor house!
I will make the history available on the forum when I have received the paperwork and undertaken some research. I did see that there appears to be DLOC sticker in the window so perhaps Chris Wiltshire has it recorded in his register. Chris - if you are reading this please opine!

Best wishes to all forum members for Christmas,

Marcus

Barrie

Post by Barrie »

Well done Marcus!
And thank you for letting us know.
So often these auction cars vanish into the ether never to be seen again until the next sale.
My interest in the car was that it could be a rival to a Bentley S1 which has a 154 bhp 4.9 litre engine and goes quite well in modern traffic. (the Continental is 177bhp) So the Sportsman with 167bhp 4.6 and a lighter body should be quite adequate especially with the overdrive gearbox for cruising. (I seem to remember that my Special Sports with a similar gearbox did 23mph per 1000 rpm)
Rather like you I had some non-response in the buying process as three emails to the auctioneers went unanswered and i rather lost momentum in getting someone along to check over the car. Nevertheless I went to view the car and was slightly over-awed by the work I thought I may have to do. You on the other hand are taking an entirely more pragmatic view!
Have much fun with your new acquisition and i look forward to seeing it sometime.
In the meantime i continue my search to get back into a Daimler.

Marcus

Post by Marcus »

Thanks Barrie, I will get to drive it this coming weekend so will report on how I find it. One would assume that given the previous owner had it for so long and the car still displays a fluid flywheel DLOC sticker that it must have been registered with the club at some point. I wish there was a way that members could search for data relating to vehicles that they own. I have a number of Daimlers (most of which bore club stickers when I purchased them) that came with no history... I suppose data privacy puts the knockers on that !

Barrie

Post by Barrie »

What a nice Christmas present to yourself!
Enjoy the drive and it would be nice to know what mph you do at, say, 2000 rpm.
I've tried to verify elsewhere but details are scarce.
Also, the other day I was wondering why it so rare to see a Daimler on the roads but after looking at your profile I now know:
"1960 Daimler Dart
1963 Daimler Dart
1952 Daimler Special Sports
1967 Daimler V8 250
1952 Daimler Empress
1962 Daimler Majestic
multiple Majestic Majors
1989 Daimler Double Six"

You have them all!
A serious collector indeed.

Marcus

Post by Marcus »

My wife would call me a serious hoarder but then again I know how many pairs of shoes she has. When I retire I will open up the Lincolnshire Museum of Rusty Crap!!