Please visit the Club's website https://www.dloc.org.uk/ to join. Visit https://www.dloc.org.uk/adhoc to DONATE towards the cost of the forum.
Please don't post someone's email address to avoid it being harvested by spambots and it's against GDPR regulations.
Always look at "ACTIVE TOPICS" to see all posts in date & time order as they are sometimes moved; or look at "Your Posts".
Please add Reg. nrs. when posting a photo or anything about a car as this will help searches. Don't add punctuation next to nr. as this negates search.
CHANGED YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS since registering?, click your username and check your address in User Control Panel, Profile, Account Settings.
If you want help to register, use "contact us" at page bottom for help.

1928 V20/70

marchesmark
Helpful Person
Helpful Person

1928 V20/70

Post by marchesmark »

Petelang
Helpful Person
Helpful Person

Re: 1928 V20/70

Post by Petelang »

As a member of East Midlands DLOC for past 11 years, and been in the wedding business in the region, I have never seen this car or met its owner.
I think this advert is a lovely piece of fiction.
There's no way today's savvy brides in the East Mids are paying £500 to hire one wedding car.
The intrusion of a modern six pot Senator engine will certainly have impacted on many areas of the car and I'm sure it won't be a simple five minute job to put it back to original spec and more likely to set a new owner back thousands of pounds.
Regrettably, what he has done to it has probably sealed its fate and it will never be restored, the original engine sold off and the car committed to a life as a wedding car desperately trying to recover the purchase cost.
Why these people feel the need to mess about with the drive train just to deliver a bride defeats me.my Fifteen is original and does admirable service as long as its not flogged hard and we just limit the operating territory to suit.
What a shame.
Peter Langridge
Cloud Nine Classic Weddings, Nottingham.

Brian-H
Very Wise Man
Very Wise Man

Post by Brian-H »

"Some years ago the late president of the Daimler and Lanchester Owners Club travelled with the vendor in the car and agreed that Daisy was a quiet as the original ‘Silent Knight’ Daimler."

Who would that have been ?

marchesmark
Helpful Person
Helpful Person

Post by marchesmark »

Peter, I agree with you. Calling it a Hooper V20/70, when it doesn't have a Hooper body or V20/70 engine is a bit misleading. References to maharajahs and Rolls-Royce Phantoms are clearly designed to impress by association. Re prices, I did weddings myself for 10 years and even in 2009, when I could pretty much charge what I liked, I would not have got away with £500 a go, even for my RR and B which were certainly in better condition and more elegant than this car. Since then I think the traditional wedding car market has declined - customers want more, and want to pay less for it.

I do wonder who would buy this - at £40K it is twice what a reasonable Beauford would cost. The reality is that this is a Daimler chassis with a home made body (albeit well executed) and a modern engine. I'd rather spend my £40K on a good Silver Cloud.

Brian, I suspect we will never know who commented on it, but I doubt a Vauxhall Senator compares to a sleeve valve Daimler in any way at all.

Stan Thomas
Wise Man
Wise Man

Post by Stan Thomas »

I contacted the auctioneers asking them to pass on to whoever purchases the car to contact me regarding the removed sleeve valve engine - either to buy it from them or advise them if they had intention to re-install it in the car. It is a six cylinder 2648cc as fitted (with detailed modification) in various models up to the end of the sleeve valve era in 1932.

I have not heard back as such - but I believe the car did not meet reserve, and has not sold as yet.

migray
Helpful Person
Helpful Person

Post by migray »

Finishes later today. at £19100
http://www.ivorycars.co.uk/bentley.asp is the website for Ivory cars in Nottingham who say the vehicle is for sale. James Leadley is said to be the owner

marchesmark
Helpful Person
Helpful Person

Post by marchesmark »

Personally I would have jumped at £19K. It is very hard to sell cars like this - no good for an enthusiast (unless with deep pockets and a huge desire to own that particular car) or really for weddings, where there are simpler and easier to maintain cars available.