Please visit the Club's website https://www.dloc.org.uk/ to join. Visit https://www.dloc.org.uk/adhoc to DONATE towards the cost of the forum.
Please don't post someone's email address to avoid it being harvested by spambots and it's against GDPR regulations.
Always look at "ACTIVE TOPICS" to see all posts in date & time order as they are sometimes moved; or look at "Your Posts".
Please add Reg. nrs. when posting a photo or anything about a car as this will help searches. Don't add punctuation next to nr. as this negates search.
CHANGED YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS since registering?, click your username and check your address in User Control Panel, Profile, Account Settings.
If you want help to register, use "contact us" at page bottom for help.

Empress 2 for Sale

Peter Grant
Wise Man
Wise Man

Re: Empress 2 for Sale

Post by Peter Grant »

Hi Barrie,

From my reading I think that the 4.5 litre engine was just too much for the preselect gearbox on the Sportsman Saloon.
They did use it on the DK 400 but not with the overdrive so maybe that was why that was more successful.

Cheers
Peter Grant

Crossley Stephenson

Post by Crossley Stephenson »

A few years ago one of our members built up a 'special' based on a slightly shortened Conquest chassis and he used a 4.2 Jaguar engine. I had a ride and can attest that it went very quickly even making the tyres 'chirp' at every gear change. He sold it and it appears to have dropped off the radar.

Michael

AntonyB

Post by AntonyB »

Listed for sale again on Car&Classic website, https://www.carandclassic.co.uk/car/C930794 , but with a price drop from £25,000 to £14,850.

Antony

simonp
Wise Man
Wise Man

Post by simonp »

I should ask whether the original engine is available to be refitted. This would at least add some value to the project. The overdrive gearboxes I know are quite rare.

I guess some wedding companies aren't really fussed about what engines are under the bonnet.

SimonP
Daimler SP 250 - "To feel its eager response as you open up is to know a new motoring adventure"(Sales brochure) The adventure continues!

Sydsmith
Extremely Wise Man
Extremely Wise Man

Post by Sydsmith »

I agree completely with the sentiment expressed here regarding this type of conversion.

I too cannot see the logic in that changing an engine is acceptable but an age related number is not.

I know which I would prefer, a Hooper Empress in such good condition as this one appears with the original engine and age related number would appeal to me much more than a car with such an unsuitable engine conversion.

Our friend who joined this forum for a short while with the white 15 with an MG engine and gearbox, appears to have found out that a conversion like that does not sell. He was very cocky about the advantage of the conversion on the forum, but has been touting the car about on fleabay and Classic Cars for sale web sites for almost a year without success.

I cannot think of anything I would rather not own than a 1935 15 with a BMC "B" series engine and gearbox. (Unless of course I had the correct engine and gearbox ready to fit.

I have to put my hand up to owning a 1937 15 Sports Saloon with an age related number I bought for a fraction of it's value with the original number.

I do appreciate that in this country the market value of a two letter four number plates, often makes the number plate worth more than the car. Syd

silverfox

Post by silverfox »

Isn't this a labradoodle or any one of the latest fad of pick nd mix dogs??

Saleable to the gullible but in the end it is still a bloody mongrel

But is a suitable and (by that i mean one that was available as an option at time of original purchase) engine available?

Sydsmith
Extremely Wise Man
Extremely Wise Man

Post by Sydsmith »

Silver fox, this subject was first raised back in 2016 and eventually petered out.

Out of interest I checked the DVLA status of the car, shows it has a 2651cc engine so I guess the original engine, says it is blue and the last tax ran out in April 2018.

Either some one has refurbished the original or found the right engine and fitted it, or who ever fitted the replacement has not told the DVLA.

Wonder what has happened to the old girl? Syd

silverfox

Post by silverfox »

Syd

My apologies. Didnt realise that it was that old.

I am too intent on getting a MkII Conquest Century Pre select ( one with the darker sloping dash) to replace on i sold back in 1972

Like there is no rush!! I am gagging to get one. My son says when i go, the Royce will be first out the garage ,but he would hang on the the Conquest if it had been replaced!!

( hopefully if there is space there should be a nice article on my early days with Lanchesters and Daimlers ( going back to 1954 or thereabouts))

Chris_R
Wise Man
Wise Man

Post by Chris_R »

Syd, 2651cc is the engine size of a Vauxhall 6 from later PA series and earlier PB series Vauxhall Velox / Crestas (earlier PA's had a 2262cc engine carried forward from the E Series cars and later PB's had a 3294cc engine that was carried forward to the PC series cars). I don't see listed in my A-Z of Classic Cars any Daimler engine of that size.

tjt77
Wise Man
Wise Man

Post by tjt77 »

'Engine swaps' can and usually do detract from a vehicles value.. but not always.. some countries want allow you to register 'modified' cars . BTW..the 'easier to drive' hydramatic as fitted to the vauxhall 'cresta' is a 2 speed unit.. NOT 3 speed as the ad states.. Id suggest the car would not loose value if fitted with a 4.5 Turner V8 from a Majestic Major.. but the GM 3.3 litre iron lump is a cheaper and inferior engine and box to the original Daimler inline 6 and pre selector box..( cost of rebuild v cost of fitting a powertrain 'on hand' was the most like reason it was switched.. saving money being game) the upside is this car remains usable..and should be as reliable as it was originally.. so it can be enjoyed.. I dont know if its asking price is reasonable or not.. a repaint and re-trim of an all correct car would likely exceed the asking price of this one by a significant margin.. assuming you could find another one..