Please visit the Club's website https://www.dloc.org.uk/ to join. Visit https://www.dloc.org.uk/adhoc to DONATE towards the cost of the forum.
Please don't post someone's email address to avoid it being harvested by spambots and it's against GDPR regulations.
Always look at "ACTIVE TOPICS" to see all posts in date & time order as they are sometimes moved; or look at "Your Posts".
Please add Reg. nrs. when posting a photo or anything about a car as this will help searches. Don't add punctuation next to nr. as this negates search.
CHANGED YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS since registering?, click your username and check your address in User Control Panel, Profile, Account Settings.
If you want help to register, use "contact us" at page bottom for help.

SP250 listed for sale in USA

Ozzsp250

SP250 listed for sale in USA

Post by Ozzsp250 »

Feathers

Re: SP250 listed for sale in USA

Post by Feathers »

After talking with the owner’s sons he said his was selling it for his father, he bought it in 1965, the odometer read's 83K, it was last registered in 1993, the engine would not turn and was thinking around $20K.

Ozzsp250

Post by Ozzsp250 »

Do you know if the seller knows the chassis and/or body number?

Dennis

Feathers

Post by Feathers »

Ozzsp250 wrote: Fri Sep 22, 2017 2:31 am Do you know if the seller knows the chassis and/or body number?

Dennis
I didn't ask.
I can if you want. I have his email.
He said nothing was missing and his father never changed anything.

John

SteveW62

Post by SteveW62 »

A couple of things are instantly visible. It has a non-standard steering wheel. The tail pipes are way too close together for standard pipes & the rear overriders have square tops & rubber stuck on them .... So some things have been changed.

Funny that it has an "A" spec bootlid, but all the trimmings & doors of a "B" spec.

Ozzsp250

Post by Ozzsp250 »

It would be interesting to know the ID and body numbers........I'm considering getting a LHD car and keep the RHD one as a trailer queen.

Just read this update by Laurence:

This is chassis no: 100841 and this makes also the 1618th unknown known.

Identified at last, in that the son of the owner contacted me yesterday to seek some historical information. This is a late 1961 SP, but no doubt by the time it arrived in the USA (Ohio) it was 1962. So, here we have a “B” SP owned by an ex-pat English man who bought the car in Ohio in 1965 and is selling it now – 52 year ownership.
Last edited by Ozzsp250 on Fri Sep 29, 2017 2:25 am, edited 1 time in total.

Ozzsp250

Post by Ozzsp250 »

How can you tell its a "A" series boot lid?

Sydsmith
Extremely Wise Man
Extremely Wise Man

Post by Sydsmith »

I assume you mean $20,000 which surely makes this car around £15,000, that seems very cheap, even with shipping costs added that is not a lot of money.

In the current market would it not be a sound investment over here?

Fossil
Wise Man
Wise Man

Post by Fossil »

A spec SPs had a cross brace pattern on the inside of the boot lid, which you can see partly in the boot interior photo; the later cars had a plain inside surface. The bonnet of these cars was similar on the inside with a larger cross brace moulding, and the later cars plain. This may have been a cost-saving measure I guess, or perhaps they just realised that the bonnet and boot lid were strong enough without reinforcement?

Cheers

Geoff

Dragon

Post by Dragon »

Hi Geoff,
Yes, the A-spec bonnets and boot lids (hood and trunk in North America) originally only had a cross-bracing on the underside.
This was found not to give enough stiffness and the reinforcement was changed, on B- and C-spec bodies, to a raised hollow section around the perimeter on the underside of both lids.
Wilf,
SP250 104008, Herefordshire.