Please visit the Club's website https://www.dloc.org.uk/ to join. Visit https://www.dloc.org.uk/adhoc to DONATE towards the cost of the forum.
Please don't post someone's email address to avoid it being harvested by spambots and it's against GDPR regulations.
Always look at "ACTIVE TOPICS" to see all posts in date & time order as they are sometimes moved; or look at "Your Posts".
Please add Reg. nrs. when posting a photo or anything about a car as this will help searches. Don't add punctuation next to nr. as this negates search.
CHANGED YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS since registering?, click your username and check your address in User Control Panel, Profile, Account Settings.
If you want help to register, use "contact us" at page bottom for help.

Daimler 2 1/2 litre V8..sold in Riverside California on ebay.

tjt77
Wise Man
Wise Man

Daimler 2 1/2 litre V8..sold in Riverside California on ebay.

Post by tjt77 »

There was what APPEARED to be a very nice looking 2 1/2 V8 saloon on ebay USA that sold yesterday.. After examining images and talking with the seller, I had sufficIent curiosity to go and check it out.. the car displayed a DLOC badge on it bring bumper, described as 'all original' in long time ownership..excellent leather and wood etc etc .. it DID look authentic in images presented.. I emailed the seller for more images and was impressed with what i saw.. took to 7 hour drive to go and check it out in person.. what i found was a badly comprimised car that was not drivable..the original opalescent silver grey paint had ben re-done on a colour close to gunmetal and the body was obviously full of filler .. the fuel supply disconnected , so not possible to check out how it drove.. typical ex uk car that has been 'prettied up' in order to move it on some time back..under the paint eruptions were evident all over.. both sills had been repalced as had both front wheel arches ( badly) the closing panels for the rear of front inner wings missing.. jacking points had been 'repaired' as well..the engine had a nasty 'death rattle' on initial start up when fuel was poured into the feed pipe.... and would barely reach 20lbs of pressure on the gauge.. it was not running on all 8 cylinders and very sluggish on 'pick up' (typical for a car with timing retarded to cover up worn big and and main bearing noise) the interior has a cheapo re-do in vinyl, nasty nylon carpets.. much of the wood veneer on the described as 'very nice' wood was missing.. all in all it was (and is ) a Pig with lipstick... some sucker paid over $9k for it at close of auction last night ..the seller offered it to me @$7,500.. I walked..in fact almost ran.. the rule of 'Caveat emptor' should always apply.. NEVER buy a car without a full examination.. or you will get burned..

Phillmore
Wise Man
Wise Man

Re: Daimler 2 1/2 litre V8..sold in Riverside California on ebay.

Post by Phillmore »

I wonder if the buyer had viewed it first? If not it sounds as though he could be in for an unpleasant surprise!
Andy

1954 Conquest Mk1, 1956 Conquest Mk2, 1957 Conquest Century Mk2, 1955 Austin A90 Westminster

tjt77
Wise Man
Wise Man

Re: Daimler 2 1/2 litre V8..sold in Riverside California on ebay.

Post by tjt77 »

One aspect that might enable the unfortunate buyer to recover some funding IF it was purchased by someone in UK:- it displayed the UK license plate JOE 10E ...the plate is likely worth something IF it can be re-instated.. apparently I was the only person who actually looked at it.. there had been few enquiries from Canada..and 'offers' had been placed via phone.. the bidding was @ approx $5,600 when I looked at it.. I'd value it at around $5k max.. you'd be well underwater even at that price by the time the car is mechanically sound and drivable,given all the other issues that need addressing .. these engines are very costly to rebuild ..although top end was not too bad as regards the valve train being relatively quiet..(but it probably has a burned valve or two..and the lower end is shot) again..it did look very attractive in the images.. but is a disaster on 4 wheels.. I dont think the seller was being deliberately misleading ..they inherited it, were not car people and seemed to be unaware of what they had, other than the fact it does look quite decent ..however it was apparent in the images posted in the listing that the 'excellent leather' was vinyl.. anyone who was has half a brain and aware of actual condition would have avoided it..