Please visit the Club's website https://www.dloc.org.uk/ to join. Visit https://www.dloc.org.uk/adhoc to DONATE towards the cost of the forum.
Please don't post someone's email address to avoid it being harvested by spambots and it's against GDPR regulations.
Always look at "ACTIVE TOPICS" to see all posts in date & time order as they are sometimes moved; or look at "Your Posts".
Please add Reg. nrs. when posting a photo or anything about a car as this will help searches. Don't add punctuation next to nr. as this negates search.
CHANGED YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS since registering?, click your username and check your address in User Control Panel, Profile, Account Settings.
If you want help to register, use "contact us" at page bottom for help.

Daimler Sportsman for Sale

Phillmore
Wise Man
Wise Man

Re: Daimler Sportsman for Sale

Post by Phillmore »

The DVLA site states engine size as 4617cc.
Andy

1954 Conquest Mk1, 1956 Conquest Mk2, 1957 Conquest Century Mk2, 1955 Austin A90 Westminster

theoldman
Extremely Wise Man
Extremely Wise Man

Post by theoldman »

Greville - correct.
Andy - Correct - but not known whether ALL the cars returned.
Neil
Normal for Norfolk

Phillmore
Wise Man
Wise Man

Post by Phillmore »

Is it possible to tell from the engine photo which variant it is? I imagine there's not much difference externally.
Andy

1954 Conquest Mk1, 1956 Conquest Mk2, 1957 Conquest Century Mk2, 1955 Austin A90 Westminster

Chris_R
Wise Man
Wise Man

Post by Chris_R »

While trawling the internet to show my wife some pictures of the Regency line and the difference for the Sportsman in the auction I found this picture dating from about 10 years ago on a French website http://wrecks.free.fr/epaves.htm under a link to Daimler which he has put as a Conquest but looking more closely I think it might be a Sportsman. LHD too! What do others think (apart from shame it ended up like this)?
Sportsman.jpg

Phillmore
Wise Man
Wise Man

Post by Phillmore »

Yes I'd agree with that Chris.
Andy

Chris_R
Wise Man
Wise Man

Post by Chris_R »

Is anyone else going to Barons on Tuesday?

theoldman
Extremely Wise Man
Extremely Wise Man

Post by theoldman »

Assuming the nave plates are original, it's a "Four Light"
Neil
Normal for Norfolk

Phillmore
Wise Man
Wise Man

Post by Phillmore »

The updated listing would also suggest the 4.5 litre so it may have missed the recall.
Andy

Rolf B.

Post by Rolf B. »

As far as I know only the 4.5 litre engines with an 167 hp output (DF402 / DF403) have been recalled. Not so the DF400 / DF 401 with their 4.5 litre engines with an 127 hp output. So it'll be possible this Sportsman still has the original 4.5 litre engine.

Rolf B.

Chris_R
Wise Man
Wise Man

Post by Chris_R »

This was a DF400 on the chassis plate (sorry I didn't take a picture).
Sold today for £8,500 plus 10% buyers premium (plus VAT), total £9520.
I suppose condition was not bad but definitely needed quite a bit of work. Put it this way, my wife said it wasn't worth exchanging my MM that needs fully restoring for this, I'd have to do almost as much as I have on the MM. Bottoms of the doors rusted and coming apart, wheel arches, all the window and door rubbers completely perished. All the chrome work needed replating. Plywood woodwork around the rear window inside delayering and also on the flooring. Leather on the front seats quite badly split in several places, headlining needs replacing. Dashboard needed renovating. Drivers door has dropped, windows don't wind up and down properly, some other parts don't seem to fit quite exactly right so would need some fettling. Would need a complete respray as well. engine bay not been renovated for long time, possibly decades, had a nice patina (nicely tatty :lol: ) but all there and unmolested. Overall, looked like the car has been somewhat neglected over a long period of time and has slowly deteriorated.