Please visit the Club's website https://www.dloc.org.uk/ to join. Visit https://www.dloc.org.uk/adhoc to DONATE towards the cost of the forum.
Please don't post someone's email address to avoid it being harvested by spambots and it's against GDPR regulations.
Always look at "ACTIVE TOPICS" to see all posts in date & time order as they are sometimes moved; or look at "Your Posts".
Please add Reg. nrs. when posting a photo or anything about a car as this will help searches. Don't add punctuation next to nr. as this negates search.
CHANGED YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS since registering?, click your username and check your address in User Control Panel, Profile, Account Settings.
If you want help to register, use "contact us" at page bottom for help.

Daimler Fifteen Sports Saloon

rogcal

Daimler Fifteen Sports Saloon

Post by rogcal »

This was part of my son's wedding car fleet until he sold it a couple of years ago. Still looks reasonable but I wouldn't say the same about the asking price.

https://www.carandclassic.co.uk/car/C937633

Norfolk Lad
Wise Man
Wise Man

Re: Daimler Fifteen Sports Saloon

Post by Norfolk Lad »

Just what is a car worth given the choice of 2 think this one is the better car, the MGB engine car not really my cup of tea but still good to see it survive. Having said that it has been on sale with the present owner most of the year and still looks unsold .

Sydsmith
Extremely Wise Man
Extremely Wise Man

Post by Sydsmith »

It has been said before but, if this were a Rolls or Bentley in similar body style it would be at least three times the price, why are these beautiful Daimlers so cheap by comparison.

I am fortunate to have a similar car which I bought for a song a year or so ago, it needs a lot of work and money to take it to the standard of this one, much as I would like to, but because of the low finished value, it is not worth spending the necessary sum getting it into really good shape, so sensibly I have to be content to have it shabby but roadworthy.

When you consider a set of tyres is well over £500 a re-chrome over £1,500, plus all the work that has been done, makes the price seem reasonable, but of course is it expensive or cheap in the market place?

I think it is cheap but sadly it looks expensive, lets hope it goes to someone who will appreciate the value of the car.

captain bobo

Post by captain bobo »

I totally agree Syd! I have the same 15 sports saloon as both yours and the one for sale. My preferred approach is to own and run it as an 80 year old car that has been lovingly looked after. So naturally it will look a little worn in places! It would be easy to spend a fortune on the car, but, somehow, re-chroming, new leather, a perfect respray etc. etc. would take away what I value most about the car - its patina of age.

One of the features of this particular model that I really like is the "art deco" door cards. I note that, sadly, the car on sale has lost such door cards somewhere in its past. Nevertheless it looks like a well maintained specimen; I believe it to be from the Callow Classics stable if memory serves me correctly.
Best wishes, Dave B

Sydsmith
Extremely Wise Man
Extremely Wise Man

Post by Sydsmith »

Hi Dave, Happy New Year, yes I think you are right that this one was a Callow car at one time and I think that is what the vendor is referring to "part of my sons wedding fleet". I think mine also passed through their hands according to the chap I bought it off but they are not on the registration details.

15sports

Post by 15sports »

Hi Sydsmith what car have you got? the only other Wedding car I sold was a lanchester LA10? but I did sell a Daimler 15 for a friend? and a DE36 Hearse?

Sydsmith
Extremely Wise Man
Extremely Wise Man

Post by Sydsmith »

Ben, the car is a 15 sports as per the one for sale.

I bought it from Robert Brickley, Sleaford Lincolnshire, original registration was JL 4232, but the number was robbed. It is now XBV103.

The car had been dry stored for 7 years and stripped a little. Poor thing was in a sad but save-able state when I got it. Robert sadly sold the number before I got it and listed it on fleabay several times and it did not sell. I contacted him, made a silly offer and was able to buy it for a good price.

I had it running and driving very easily. Though I still have quite a lot of work to do with the electrics and lighting to make it reliable and properly road worthy. But I am going for shabby safe.

Spring is coming and I am hoping to have her back on the road properly this summer.

15sports

Post by 15sports »

Yes I know the car it was offered to me at one point but funds would not allow at the time, and i remember he was happy to Rob the plate, good luck with restoration, Many thanks Ben

Sydsmith
Extremely Wise Man
Extremely Wise Man

Post by Sydsmith »

Interesting thing was that when I got the car home I logged on to the DVLA site to SORN the car and it was shown as taxed and mot'ed!!! Despite the car never having turned a wheel for many a year.

Some of these MOT testers must have a special way of testing these old cars :D Syd

Phillmore
Wise Man
Wise Man

Post by Phillmore »

Sydsmith wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2018 2:32 pm Interesting thing was that when I got the car home I logged on to the DVLA site to SORN the car and it was shown as taxed and mot'ed!!! Despite the car never having turned a wheel for many a year.

Some of these MOT testers must have a special way of testing these old cars :D Syd
It must have an MOT to be able to rob the plate ;)
Andy

1954 Conquest Mk1, 1956 Conquest Mk2, 1957 Conquest Century Mk2, 1955 Austin A90 Westminster