Please visit the Club's website https://www.dloc.org.uk/ to join. Visit https://www.dloc.org.uk/adhoc to DONATE towards the cost of the forum.
Please don't post someone's email address to avoid it being harvested by spambots and it's against GDPR regulations.
Always look at "ACTIVE TOPICS" to see all posts in date & time order as they are sometimes moved; or look at "Your Posts".
Please add Reg. nrs. when posting a photo or anything about a car as this will help searches. Don't add punctuation next to nr. as this negates search.
CHANGED YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS since registering?, click your username and check your address in User Control Panel, Profile, Account Settings.
If you want help to register, use "contact us" at page bottom for help.

Sp250 for restoration

Twickers

Sp250 for restoration

Post by Twickers »

JT7196
Extremely Wise Man
Extremely Wise Man

Re: Sp250 for restoration

Post by JT7196 »

£25,000 for a restoration project, blimy , now where did the other half hide my cheque book !!!!!!!

Cheers A’l :D

chrisjb

Post by chrisjb »

I can't see a gear stick. Does it have an engine?
Chrisb

Sydsmith
Extremely Wise Man
Extremely Wise Man

Post by Sydsmith »

It is truly remarkable the way SP prices appear to have risen in the past 12 months, but do the vendors really get these advertised prices?

How are we supposed to value our own cars especially for insurance purposes. My own car is far superior to this one which it would appears to need lots of work, but I have it insured for £25,000.

I guess the best guide would be the prices attained in auctions and there does not seem to me to be any reason from the auction results I have seen over the past year to justify such an increase in advertised prices.

Phillmore
Wise Man
Wise Man

Post by Phillmore »

The DS420 looks good value though, just a shame it's white.
Andy

1954 Conquest Mk1, 1956 Conquest Mk2, 1957 Conquest Century Mk2, 1955 Austin A90 Westminster

Vortex O'Plinth
Extra-Wise Man
Extra-Wise Man

Post by Vortex O'Plinth »

Sydsmith wrote: Sun Jan 21, 2018 9:42 am It is truly remarkable the way SP prices appear to have risen in the past 12 months, but do the vendors really get these advertised prices?
This phenomenon seems echoed across the whole classic car market. The advertised prices of almost anything with Classic and sporting pretensions have soared in the last few years; who'd have thought an example of the SP's contemporary, the Austin mini however restored, could be worth £32500 or even £28000?. This one is not even the original whose heritage it purports to show, but a replica.

I'm sure that many of these inflated prices reflect a sector of the market where cars are bought as a short term investment, often reappearing for sale again within a few months with a 30% mark-up. If you have £25000 sitting in the bank, in a years time it will be around £25250. Invest your £25k in a 'Classic' car and in a few months you could see at least a £5k return on your money, and unlike many traditional investments, there's no tax to pay. Many of these cars are never seen on the road or even at Shows, but sit in the garage of an owner - who quite possibly knows little about his acquisition - waiting to 'appreciate'.

Incidentally, in reply to Chrisb, the SP is advertised with a 'Strong engine. Good gearbox and rear axle.'
Nick

"Don't bother with the Air & Space Museum - there's nothing to see.......".

Marcus

Post by Marcus »

DLOC member too at some point. Wonder what happened to the member in question.

Sydsmith
Extremely Wise Man
Extremely Wise Man

Post by Sydsmith »

And the Italian job mini has sold and is only a replica Nick, not even a genuine Cooper.

There does seem to be some madness here and shades of pre bank crash values creeping in, it has to be said though that only the very best seem to sell quickly and the hangers on are those that need work, reflecting I guess the high cost of a commercial restoration job.

Wonder where it will all end, in tears for some no doubt.

faeton

Post by faeton »

Year stated 1959 with a B registration ???

Vortex O'Plinth
Extra-Wise Man
Extra-Wise Man

Post by Vortex O'Plinth »

faeton wrote: Sun Jan 21, 2018 8:23 pm Year stated 1959 with a B registration ???
In the heading to the advert it's a '64, which would make more sense.
Nick

"Don't bother with the Air & Space Museum - there's nothing to see.......".