Please visit the Club's website https://www.dloc.org.uk/ to join. Visit https://www.dloc.org.uk/adhoc to DONATE towards the cost of the forum.
Please don't post someone's email address to avoid it being harvested by spambots and it's against GDPR regulations.
Always look at "ACTIVE TOPICS" to see all posts in date & time order as they are sometimes moved; or look at "Your Posts".
Please add Reg. nrs. when posting a photo or anything about a car as this will help searches. Don't add punctuation next to nr. as this negates search.
CHANGED YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS since registering?, click your username and check your address in User Control Panel, Profile, Account Settings.
If you want help to register, use "contact us" at page bottom for help.

DE36 REG LLR368

Marcus

Re: DE36 REG LLR368

Post by Marcus »

The bonnet and wings represent the unknown. The current owner has done some work on them to repair them but at the moment I have not seen them trial fitted. Guess I could run it like some US hot rod with all of that on display. Clearly this isn’t going to be a 1 week job to get running. I will not be passing it off as anything other than a special, but one at least that has not ended it’s days being broken for parts as so many other down at heel classics appear to be these days.
First job, try and free the engine. 2nd job, give it a bit of s clean and determine what is there and what is missing.

Sydsmith
Extremely Wise Man
Extremely Wise Man

Post by Sydsmith »

Marcus, The chassis I assume is similar to the original chassis the body would have sat on.

Given that F&W would have started with a similar chassis, ordered from and supplied by Daimler by a client on which they built the body, it will be quite legitimate in my eyes to rescue that truly delightful, if huge body, and get it back on the road.

Best of luck with your very brave project, I am sure the result will be a superb looking motor car when finished. Syd

Marcus

Post by Marcus »

Thanks Syd, it’s a bonkers idea to restore this but if we don’t make an effort to save some of these cars then it won’t be long before the only ones left are in museums or the wealthy few. I don’t think I’ll ever have it looking like a show winner but I’ll settle for tatty and safe.

New Dexter
Wise Man
Wise Man

Post by New Dexter »

Some reading of the entries in the Daimler Tradition revealed that Freestone and Webb made bodies that could fit either the DE27 or DE36 chassis. Clearly the only difference is the bonnet length which required a longer "set" of wings, bonnet and bonnet sides.
One would hope, given that this is effectively another F & W DE36, that this car is restored to its correct degree. As has been stated in another post, the cost of restoration will often be much higher than the car's final value. It seems only SP250s can command a sales price higher than their restoration cost.
However, a splendid car like a "seventh" F & W DE36 isn't something that should be restored to be tatty. I am sure Marcus can find sufficient recommendations from the forum members to be able to have this car restored to a very reasonable standard. I have noticed that very few of these cars ever appear at National Rallies. There was only one DE model at Redhill last year even if the splendid tourer on a DE36 chassis did appear

Peter Grant
Wise Man
Wise Man

Post by Peter Grant »

Being one of the lucky few owning a DE36 I can assure all forum readers that they are wonderful beasts.
Sure they run through petrol like you do not want to know, but there is something completely satisfying about these cars when on the open road. They just feel so good to drive. They soak up the bumps and are so absolutely refined in their performance. Not speed demons but beautifully balanced vehicles, just like their smaller brethren.

If anyone has access to it, BBC Channel 4 did a series of shows based on the Queen's Royal Tour of 1954. When the programme came to Sydney they used me driving my car for some scenes in Sydney with the host, Kwami, in the back and driving through Kings Cross. A bit silly really, but a lot of fun.

They fibbed a little and said my car was the actual 1954 Royal Tour Car.

A very enjoyable day.

Cheers
Peter Grant

Fossil
Wise Man
Wise Man

Post by Fossil »

Peter

If I ever win the Euromillions Lottery I'll make you an offer that you can't refuse for your "Allweather".

Dream on perhaps.

Cheers

Geoff

New Dexter
Wise Man
Wise Man

Post by New Dexter »

What would be the cost of converting a DE36 limousine to an All-weather and would it be worthwhile? I recall that Peter Wimpenny converted a hearse to a form of open tourer but while a hearse, once its useful period is over, is not something that could have many other uses and if it's rough then such a conversion might be a route to follow.
I think I have seen the special to which Peter Ruifrok refers, something like the sort of open two seater than some people think looks nice on a Bentley MK6 chassis.

GJT

Post by GJT »

Is it running yet Marcus ?

Marcus

Post by Marcus »

Just completing the final touches....;)

Marcus

Post by Marcus »

Hi all, some pictures of the DE36 as it was collected and put into nice new dry storage.
GUFK1318.JPG
GQSP3525.JPG
EGTI4131.JPG
DUGP0852.JPG